A&H

TOT v LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think the force he used was excessive? He barely used any force, certainly, not more than was needed for the action be was using, so I can't say it is excessive.
Endangering safety, yes, all day, I accept, but not excessive force. Might as well ban tackling if we are saying the force used here was excessive.
Absolutely not excessive force, but the law is excessive force OR endangering. There can't be any question that it endangered the opponent, so as law is written it has to be a red.

The Referee Store
People are seriously losing their minds over this one offside. Some comments on social media are beyond laughable including the usual "this proves VAR doesn't work, time to scrap it", whilst they ignore the fact it was given as offside by the on-field team, so even without VAR, it wouldn't have counted!

As for Liverpool's response, at best it lacks any sense of class or respect for the game. Are they the only team to ever be on the wrong end of an incorrect referee/VAR call?
Really? Liverpool had gone down to 10 men and scored a perfectly good goal, which would have changed the dynamics of the game completely. Klopp was very magnanimous after the game, and the club however has every right to hear the full story of what happened, especially as a lot of the officials had only arrived from a 7hr plane trip on Friday. So far we are only going on what Dale Johnson is stating, as I don't think anyone else has confirmed what has happened. What part of that response from the club showed any sense of a lack of class or 'respect for the game'?

I agree that England, and Cook, could find themselves with a rest a bit longer than the usual one weekend. But it is impossible for Liverpool to get a replay, FIFA would intervene if there was even a suggestion that was going to happen. And Liverpool know it isn't going to happen, they are just sabre rattling.
Liverpool haven't asked for a reply, they just want the full facts of what happened. Think that is a very reasonable response after such a calamitous error

This one page makes an absolute mockery of the LOTG

Same as Golf. Logical. Very clear, no ambiguity, instead of the absolute rubbish we have to work with
Agreed. As a first go, what about the following logic for offences in the tackle?

Studs-up = 1 point
Feet off the ground = 1 point
Force: Low = 0 points, Moderate = 1 point, High = 2 points
Impact: Above the foot = 1 point
Full contact with ball first = -1 point

0-1 points = no sanction
2 points = yellow card
3-5 points = red card

So Curtis Jones would be studs-up (1) with moderate force, impacting above the foot = 3 points (red).

Malo Gusto last week would be studs-up, feet off the ground, moderate force, impact above the foot, full contact with ball first = 4 - 1 = 3 points (red).

Referees would use these criteria to make clear decisions in a more objective way. Never going to remove subjectivity entirely, but could be a step in the right direction.

Liverpool haven't asked for a reply, they just want the full facts of what happened. Think that is a very reasonable response after such a calamitous error
I didn't say they had, but a lot of their fans, and some pundits, are demanding it.

I didn't say they had, but a lot of their fans, and some pundits, are demanding it.
Fair point,

The club has made a formal request to PGMOL to receive the match officials’ audio from the game. So if Howard Webb thinks there is nothing to hide, just release it, and let's move on, if the explanation matches what has been said. As Klopp said after the game, people make mistakes

I'm coming to the conclusion that outside of goal-line technology and automated offsides (which admittedly still require some form of human intervention), we really would be better off without VAR. My reasoning is:
  • Unlike other sports that use video assistance (eg cricket, rugby, US football, tennis) football is a far more flowing game that doesn't have the inbuilt breaks in play neccessary to allow it be used effectively without ruining the flow of the game, This in turn creates an undue and unfair amount of pressure on VARs to make decisions quickly.
  • LOTG are so subjective in nature that there will still be disagreement regardless of the outcome (eg Curtis Jones, Brentford penalty decision,
  • As a general rule, people are more accepting of missing things/mistakes/interpretations in real time, than using video technology.
  • The impact on the game as a spectacle (and having been at matches where an already celebrated goal is subsequently wiped off) is not sufficiently offset by an improvement in outcomes
Whilst I think we should get rid, I don't believe that will happen - the genie is out of the bottle. In which case, IFAB/FIFA really need to change the protocol to ensure the audio is available contemporaneously and - perhaps more contentiously - as happens in rugby, the replays are watched on a big screen so the crowd can at least see it, as happens in rugby (though the bunker seems to be moving away from that somewhat).
Apart from it was decisions like this that led to the clamour by pretty much everyone in the game to demand technology. Let's not forget here that the on-pitch decision was offside, so pre-VAR the outcome would have been exactly the same as yesterday. Sky would have then drawn lines on to show how poor the assistant's decision was, and Liverpool players and fans would be demanding that the officials get some help through technology.

Apart from it was decisions like this that led to the clamour by pretty much everyone in the game to demand technology. Let's not forget here that the on-pitch decision was offside, so pre-VAR the outcome would have been exactly the same as yesterday. Sky would have then drawn lines on to show how poor the assistant's decision was, and Liverpool players and fans would be demanding that the officials get some help through technology.
Correct. And then they’d be demanding VAR.

After a game or 2 over the weekend, WSL clubs have been asking for VAR.

People want VAR when it suits, but then don’t want it when it suits.

As I’ve said previously in the chain, it’s a really poor decision by the AR initially. At their level, that’s a long way onside. Then VAR has made it 100x worse due to either poor communication or lack of concentration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely not excessive force, but the law is excessive force OR endangering. There can't be any question that it endangered the opponent, so as law is written it has to be a red.
That's nearly exactly what I said. What I am saying is that I think this one is more open to subjectivity of the on field referee and does not require a VAR intervention.
I'll say again, as referees, of course this is a red cards but I'd say that apart from referees, the percentage of those supporting a red card here is very low.
That tells me somewhere something isn't right, be that education of football, or as rugby have done allowing some mitigating factors or whatever else we can think of to align views.
For anyone else that wants to quote me to tell me this is a red card, for the last time.... I AGREE! 🥴

That's nearly exactly what I said. What I am saying is that I think this one is more open to subjectivity of the on field referee and does not require a VAR intervention.
I'll say again, as referees, of course this is a red cards but I'd say that apart from referees, the percentage of those supporting a red card here is very low.
That tells me somewhere something isn't right, be that education of football, or as rugby have done allowing some mitigating factors or whatever else we can think of to align views.
For anyone else that wants to quote me to tell me this is a red card, for the last time.... I AGREE! 🥴
I agree that non-referees here will say it’s not a red- but on the flip side, I’d say this is a fairly British thing. If this challenge happened abroad, I don’t think anyone would bat an eyelid at the red.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.skysports.com/football/...erpool-demand-thorough-and-transparent-review

Interesting
Sky Sports News understands the club do not want to single out an official and have taken umbrage with PGMOL's framing of events as "a significant human error", which unfairly pits an entire breakdown in the application of the Laws of the Game solely on the VAR for the match, Darren England

Liverpool want a thorough examination of the process and a terms of reference for the review. This would range from the appointment of the refereeing team - given three of them had worked in the United Arab Emirates 48 hours before the game, prompting questions of workload, fatigue and the quality of preparation”

A demand for the game to be replayed was not mentioned or hinted at in their communique”

https://www.skysports.com/football/...erpool-demand-thorough-and-transparent-review

Interesting
Sky Sports News understands the club do not want to single out an official and have taken umbrage with PGMOL's framing of events as "a significant human error", which unfairly pits an entire breakdown in the application of the Laws of the Game solely on the VAR for the match, Darren England

Liverpool want a thorough examination of the process and a terms of reference for the review. This would range from the appointment of the refereeing team - given three of them had worked in the United Arab Emirates 48 hours before the game, prompting questions of workload, fatigue and the quality of preparation”

A demand for the game to be replayed was not mentioned or hinted at in their communique”
I think it’s a little disingenuous to suggest that a demand for a replay was not hinted at. As we all know, games have been replayed in the past due to the incorrect application of the laws of the game, and that’s exactly what Liverpool are getting at when they say “ It is clear that the correct application of the laws of the game did not occur, resulting in sporting integrity being undermined.”

I think it was reviewed, but they decided it wasn't a red but it was a caution. Tierney was showing no indication of showing a caution, and it only came out after the check was complete.
If the yellow came from the VAR, it would be an egregious breach of protocols. But if the VAR recommended an on field review for a red, the R could reject the red, but give a yellow based on what he saw in the review.

Curtis Jones...Red card all day long. Anybody that's played the game would know that he's "gone over the ball". ie a tackle that's so high it catches the top of the ball, but they know full well the follow through will leave the studs high.
The VAR decison is ridiculous. I'd like to see a wider image showing when the ball was kicked. Either way, Liverpool deserve an explanation...aswell as many other teams that have deserved one this season.

I know that you know it is a red, the point I was trying to make is it was so much of a red it was a very clear and obvious error. If Hooper had seen it from the angle that he eventually got to look at he would have certainly have gone red, and I would guess that was part of his discussion with VAR.

I agree; it's such a regular state of affairs that punditry and common perceptions are out of alignment with referees' application of the laws that it is accepted. But it has a whole host of negative consequences, as we have seen. Frustration and bewilderment are arguably major causes of abuse. Communication of course helps. However, I would argue that referees and clubs need to work together to educate coaches, parents and players from a younger age, almost quoting and teaching the laws (repeating 'excessive force' every time to add credibility) as decisions are awarded. Eventually this will filter through to media and the average fan. I don't think this has happened in time for the millennial generation, who will soon inherit many public spaces in football--they are probably closer to law as applied than their elders, but it's still not coming from knowledge of the laws themselves--but it would be invaluable for current U18s.

Last edited:
People are seriously losing their minds over this one offside. Some comments on social media are beyond laughable including the usual "this proves VAR doesn't work, time to scrap it", whilst they ignore the fact it was given as offside by the on-field team, so even without VAR, it wouldn't have counted!

As for Liverpool's response, at best it lacks any sense of class or respect for the game. Are they the only team to ever be on the wrong end of an incorrect referee/VAR call?
I suppose if you could prove that the current operators are lacking in ability and professionalism, which I doubt, you would still need to recruit and train new officials. Until then VAR only adds another layer of media intrigue, confusion for spectators and perceived injustice from players. All this, which VAR was intended to combat, existed in a healthier way before VAR. I would argue that people actually did tolerate inaccuracy on a weekly basis without VAR and certainly did not use terms like 'existential crisis'. Now we have more focus on errors and more antagonism.
We have laws that are written with interpretation in mind, which are brushing up with friction against a VAR mentality of black and white.

Thus, put in place a fully reliable and efficient system or return to a game for 4 officials to manage as capably as possible.
Unfortunately that is unlikely to happen, so we are left with a game falling into disrepute due to a flawed search for officiating perfection.

I think it was reviewed, but they decided it wasn't a red but it was a caution. Tierney was showing no indication of showing a caution, and it only came out after the check was complete.
Not reviewing would have been bad but this would be worse, on multiple levels. For starters I don't think a sanction was decided on on field before a review. Yes we can argue it was decided on no sanction but I doubt it was the case. Second, if a review is recommended for a clear red then 'negotiating' a sanction without an onfield review will be, at best, a very poor application of the VAR protocol.
Tierney either saw it or didn't. If he saw it how can he decide stamping on the back of someone's calf is no sanction at all? If he didn't see it, if VAR says clear red, how can he 'negotiate' it down to a yellow without even seeing it on screen?

Not reviewing would have been bad but this would be worse, on multiple levels. For starters I don't think a sanction was decided on on field before a review. Yes we can argue it was decided on no sanction but I doubt it was the case. Second, if a review is recommended for a clear red then 'negotiating' a sanction without an onfield review will be, at best, a very poor application of the VAR protocol.
Tierney either saw it or didn't. If he saw it how can he decide stamping on the back of someone's calf is no sanction at all? If he didn't see it, if VAR says clear red, how can he 'negotiate' it down to a yellow without even seeing it on screen?
Don't shoot the messenger. He took an age to show the second yellow, and the TV commentators said there there was a VAR review ongoing. So it can only look like that VAR reviewed it, decided no SFP but told Tierney it was a clear caution. Let's not forget that England have a bit of history for not following VAR protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back