A&H

Stepped approach or caution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Who hears it should have absolutely no contribution to your decision. If a player punched another player but only you saw it would you ignore it?
Not a good analogy IMHO. A physical offence like punching an opponent depends only on the specified physical action taking place. A better comparison, I think, would be verbally distracting an opponent. If a player shouts "leave it" but it's directed to a team mate and no opponent is distracted then it's not an offence, even though the same words would be an offence if directed at and causing a distraction to, an opponent. Similarly with OFFINABUS - it's not enough to just utter particular words or phrases, someone has to be offended, insulted or abused.

Here's an example - a player misses a shot and says, "Oh, f*ck off" fairly quietly to himself. You hear him say it because you happened to be standing 3 feet away but no-one else hears it, because no other players, fans etc were within earshot. Are you really saying that player deserves to be sent off? However, if the same words were said loudly, aggressively and so that everyone within 100 yards radius could hear them, OFFINABUS would become a consideration.

Reactions: Nij
Not a good analogy IMHO. A physical offence like punching an opponent depends only on the specified physical action taking place. A better comparison, I think, would be verbally distracting an opponent. If a player shouts "leave it" but it's directed to a team mate and no opponent is distracted then it's not an offence, even though the same words would be an offence if directed at and causing a distraction to, an opponent. Similarly with OFFINABUS - it's not enough to just utter particular words or phrases, someone has to be offended, insulted or abused.

Here's an example - a player misses a shot and says, "Oh, f*ck off" fairly quietly to himself. You hear him say it because you happened to be standing 3 feet away but no-one else hears it, because no other players, fans etc were within earshot. Are you really saying that player deserves to be sent off? However, if the same words were said loudly, aggressively and so that everyone within 100 yards radius could hear them, OFFINABUS would become a consideration.

Oh. My. God.

Cannot believe that you really posted that seriously.........

Still, thankfully you're retired so at least no one will have to follow you next week.
:p

Still, thankfully you're retired so at least no one will have to follow you next week

For what it's worth, based on all the posts I've seen on here, I would FAR rather follow Peter the subsequent week than yourself ;).

In the sentence you highlight above, so long as 'someone' includes you as the referee being offended (either personally or on behalf of others) then it makes complete sense to me ...

Reactions: DB
So if two players call you a c*nt but only you hear one of the offences and several hear the other, you'd only walk one?

Club marks are king.

I was being a little tinker with my original post, of course we must deal with any offence we witness, regardless of whether any of the players etc saw it.

In your question above, how could I dismiss a player for making a remark that I didn't hear (assuming I don't have NARS who might have heard it)?

Ooh, don't start him off mate. He's a master at seeing red for INDOFFONBOS" (that's INDignantlyOFFended On Behalf of OtherS). ;) :D

No, I just don't like racism!

Or the people who hide behind the argument that they were only "joking" as an excuse for posting racist insults.....and those who protect and apologise for them when they should be deleting it.

But hey, at least this has place has nailed its UKIP colours to the mast.....we all know where we stand.

Or the people who hide behind the argument that they were only "joking" as an excuse for posting racist insults.....and those who protect and apologise for them when they should be deleting it.

But hey, at least this has place has nailed its UKIP colours to the mast.....we all know where we stand.

Cluck cluck squawk squawk etc.... :rolleyes:

Isn't this all because someone used the term taff or Mick or Jock or something in a not obviously insulting way?

I for one am outraged and insulted, I'm not sure why but I am.

Reactions: Kes
The emmerdale farm award for most Mellow dramatic performance on a referees forum goes to.....

:D

I demand that the forum has a safe space created where we can share pictures of fluffy kittens and cute puppies, words hurt you know...

I hate it with a passion. My employers have told all employees not to comment on the current debate preceding the Euro referendum. I can say however that UKIP are an unpleasant organisation and I find their politics abhorrent.

I'll admit UKIP aren't my bag so I don't keep up to date with their political shenanigans, but what do they do and or say that is so abhorrent?

Leaving aside things that individual party members may say or do I'make not aware of the party approaching anything remotely resembling the likes of Britain First etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back