A&H

Stepped approach or caution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you get many 14 year olds telling you to f*** off? :D
If anybody wanted to say that this is a red I couldn't argue against that - in fact, it probably should be if we all were so laughably lenient on dissent and abuse....
If it's done in pure frustration then I'm not sending him off.

As previously stated, age has nothing to do with it.

The Referee Store
If a 14 year old tells me to F off its a red. All day long.

It's no wonder oiks graduate to the adult game as undisciplined idiots when they get away with this kind of shenanigans as teenagers. A stitch (or red card) in time saves nine. :)

That's a red card for me. Think of it this way, if it was an open age game, what would you have done?

Age simply doesn't matter here.

Whislt I'd personally be showing a yellow 95% of the time I've no problem with red.
The most important thing is that a card of some colour MUST be shown.
This cannot be "managed"

sj0F8RD.gif

Game this evening and a player told me to 'f**ck off' as I gave a throw in against his team. The player had been quite for all the game and hadn't done anything to pop up on my radar. In this situation should I of used the stepped approach to deal with it or was I right to show in a yellow?
given what i did on saturday, thats a red for me ! :)

I'd consider a red a bit harsh but a caution certainly.
Stepped approach is not an option here
haha thats my point, i started a thread about a red i'd issued on saturday which, sigh, was uber uber harsh i thought was probably the case after the game, but has since been verified by a few on here :)

swearing at referees will always be a problem iuntil referees chose to deal with it properly. and that means red card

swearing at referees will always be a problem iuntil referees chose to deal with it properly. and that means red card

I reckon most refs wouldn't even caution for this so I consider a caution almost affirmative action!

swearing at referees will always be a problem until referees chose to deal with it properly. and that means red card
I should perhaps point out that swearing, in and of itself, has not been an offence since 1997. Since the "great rewrite" of that year, the primary consideration is whether the words are "offensive, insulting or abusive."

To me, it's generally more important to consider the manner in which the language is used, who it's directed at, what the overall tone is (and so on) than which actual words were uttered.

For one thing, which particular words or language are considered offensive by their very nature can vary over time, according to context, geographical location etc. For instance, the word "cheat" would not be considered highly offensive to most people in a day-to-day context but directed at a referee in a game of football, it is.

Another example - "bloody" was once considered highly obscene in the UK but is now considered a fairly mild expletive. In the US on the other hand, it has never been seen as particularly offensive, as far as I am aware. The "f" word seems to be be used more and more frequently these days (including in newspapers, on TV etc) so it may be headed the same way as "bloody" though it's obviously not there yet.

Overall, I wasn't a big fan of the USSF's now discontinued Advice to Referees document but I have to admit it was something of a curate's egg (good in parts). One of the parts of it that I did like, was the following section on evaluating OFFINABUS:

The referee should judge offensive, insulting, or abusive language according to its content, the extent to which the language can be heard by others beyond the immediate vicinity of the player, and whether the language is directed at officials, opponents, or teammates.

That's what I've always wondered as I've seen ref caution/send off players for saying the f word loudly for for instance scuffing the ball. To me if its not OFFINABUS then what part of the law are we 'hanging' them with? Under the unsporting banner, I've thought the closest is 'acts in a manner that shows a lack of respect for the game'.
Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back