A&H

Russia Saudi

The Referee Store
So was VAR used at all?
Did Lino’s keep flags down?

So was VAR used at all?
Did Lino’s keep flags down?

There were no on field reviews.

There was one clear offside early on where the AR delayed the flag way too long after a cross in front of goal. I suspect that will be cleaned up as the tournament goes on. The rest of the close offside decisions were correctly called.

VAR is here to stay
Depressingly, I can't argue with you on this. Given that it's already been hailed as 99.9% accurate despite ruining games this side of the water, I doubt there'll be any limits when it comes to FIFA and their 'confirmation bias'

The fact that there wasn't even a noticible delay with the VAR checking the 4th goal shows the improved efficiency compared to the England trials.

d1ZRDdq.jpg
Like with all human given Lino decisions they are complete educated guesses!! Your eyes cannot possibly be fixed on two places at once! The Lino is looking down the line (It appears) and with the noise of the stadium how can he ever be 100% sure when the ball is actually kicked (to the micro second), if you say you can see both events at the same time then you're not being truthful!! Great call BTW!!!

Depressingly, I can't argue with you on this. Given that it's already been hailed as 99.9% accurate despite ruining games this side of the water, I doubt there'll be any limits when it comes to FIFA and their 'confirmation bias'

I hope you can judge the use of VAR at the World Cup separately compared to what you've seen in England. It's really unfortunate that the FA Cup/League Cup consistently used VAR worse than any other league/country in the world. It set up a situation where most Brits expect a disaster now.

There were no on field reviews.

There was one clear offside early on where the AR delayed the flag way too long after a cross in front of goal. I suspect that will be cleaned up as the tournament goes on. The rest of the close offside decisions were correctly called.

Delayed the flag or didn’t raise it at all?

Delayed the flag or didn’t raise it at all?

He raised it but the commentators didn't realize it since the cameras focused on an injury after the cross. But play restarted with an IDFK to the defending team so it was deduced that the flag went up.

He raised it but the commentators didn't realize it since the cameras focused on an injury after the cross. But play restarted with an IDFK to the defending team so it was deduced that the flag went up.

Cool so that would not be an example of keeping your flag down completely as per Collina.

So I wonder if the lino thought it was offside or not, he must have thought it was off to raise it but then why didn’t he raise it straight away?

Intriguing stuff, bit of a treat for us referees to have something to watch & have an interest in when usually we would be at a lose end.

So I wonder if the lino thought it was offside or not, he must have thought it was off to raise it but then why didn’t he raise it straight away?

As I tried to say in that "other thread" if the AR decides it was offside then they will always raise their flag. It's just that flag may be delayed if the decision was close and there is a goal scoring opportunity. But in the end the flag will always go up. That is what Collina meant by "keeping the flag down on a close decision".

Mark Halsey said the referee today was 'over-demonstrative' with his body language - how is that a bad thing? Genuine question. It made him look decisive and confident.

Didn’t watch much of this one but the bits I saw the ref did ok, looked like a bit of an end of season affair. Russia are my Stoke City of the tournament from now on! I just hope none of you have got Saudi Arabia in your office sweepstake!

As I tried to say in that "other thread" if the AR decides it was offside then they will always raise their flag. It's just that flag may be delayed if the decision was close and there is a goal scoring opportunity. But in the end the flag will always go up. That is what Collina meant by "keeping the flag down on a close decision".

I was under the impression that he doesn’t raise it & if no goal is scored they just carry on playing.

But your saying if no goal is scored then Lino will eventually raise it.

All very interesting, I’ll watch with interest over the wknd.

Cheers for the info

Didn’t watch much of this one but the bits I saw the ref did ok, looked like a bit of an end of season affair. Russia are my Stoke City of the tournament from now on! I just hope none of you have got Saudi Arabia in your office sweepstake!

Ramos Ronaldo Costa & Rocchi tomoz night, can’t wait Sheff can’t wait.

I hope you can judge the use of VAR at the World Cup separately compared to what you've seen in England. It's really unfortunate that the FA Cup/League Cup consistently used VAR worse than any other league/country in the world. It set up a situation where most Brits expect a disaster now.
Even if VAR goes quite well over the coming weeks, I genuinely doubt it will ever live up to the FIFA propaganda. The Laws are too subjective and the game dynamics are not a good fit. I am a pessimist by nature however...:(

Mark Halsey didn't referee games in South America like Boca Jrs - River Plate. I think it's an absurd comment from him.

Agreed, yes the ref was on the showier side, but, it worked and left nobody in any doubt at any time. Bear in mind he has eyes of world on him, prob is nof fluent in Russian or erm, Saudi! , nothing wrong with over emphasing the occasional call. Provided of course its correcf, respectful of the players, and consistent with his style of refereeing. I liked his authority.

Just for a laugh I googled how many variants are there of Russian & Saudi languages! Apparently there are 24 variants of Russian ((allowed) and at least 3 versions of Arabic... Good luck with that lot! :rolleyes: I suppose there is a universal signal for ‘I got the ball first ref!’:wide:

Last edited:
Agreed, yes the ref was on the showier side, but, it worked and left nobody in any doubt at any time. Bear in mind he has eyes of world on him, prob is nof fluent in Russian or erm, Saudi! , nothing wrong with over emphasing the occasional call. Provided of course its correcf, respectful of the players, and consistent with his style of refereeing. I liked his authority.

He's 6'3" and built like a tank, and he uses that physical attribute to his strength. Nothing wrong with that, and the players certainly seemed to respect it.

Back