A&H

Player pushed by fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
The video is geo-blocked but Reading the comments it seems like The referee thought he had to make a choice to either discourage

1 - opposition fans to provoke players
2 - players not to react to provoking fans.

And he chose 2 over 1. I feel that a very strong animated public word with the player would have achieved both. And then quietly let the player know he could have cautioned him but he didn't want to let the fan win this.

Reactions: es1
If that's player vs player, it's a definite yellow to the one that pushed, and a possible yellow to the other player. Don't see the fact it's a fan changes that particularly - a yellow is an option in law (AAA?), but certainly not required.

Opposing team had a player sent off 3 minutes earlier, I wonder if the referee felt the temperature rising and that perhaps affected the decision to be harsher than necessary when he got to the next big decision?

If it helps any doubters, the Aberdeen manager accepts the yellow card,

plus in the last half hour, the fan has been charged with assault.
Don't see how any of that changes the debate about the YC. The manager almost certainly doesn't know the law as well as anyone on here, and could have all sorts of other reasons for deciding this isn't a fight worth picking.

And I don't see anyone disputing the idea the fan behavior was unacceptable, the discussion revolves around if the player response to being pushed (twice FYI - once by the opponent to put him over the barrier and then by the fan) required a YC.

Slightly reminds me of a game I AR’d in this season just passed, where early in the first half, home fans were making their way to the stands behind my sideline, and had to walk behind the goal (behind the fencing, so everything there is all good). At that point, the away team was awarded a penalty at the same end, and the home fans started doing the usual abusive “you’re going to miss” type of thing. The player slotted the penalty, ran up the the fence, displaying his middle finger to the fans, and then was subsequently sent off. I might actually be able to find a clip

EDIT: Here we go. My memory must be really bad, it was early in the second half, the fans would have been making their way back from some half time food. Not sure how to embed video while posting from my phone, (I may have done it correctly) but the penalty incident begins at around the 1 minute mark.

Slightly reminds me of a game I AR’d in this season just passed, where early in the first half, home fans were making their way to the stands behind my sideline, and had to walk behind the goal (behind the fencing, so everything there is all good). At that point, the away team was awarded a penalty at the same end, and the home fans started doing the usual abusive “you’re going to miss” type of thing. The player slotted the penalty, ran up the the fence, displaying his middle finger to the fans, and then was subsequently sent off. I might actually be able to find a clip
Do you think the referee could have seen that coming and prevent it by a quick quiet word to the player before the kick?

Do you think the referee could have seen that coming and prevent it by a quick quiet word to the player before the kick?
In hindsight a few months on: Probably..

I was the AR administering the penalty, so I heard the fans jeering before hand. Honestly not sure if the referee had a word with the player about that before taking the penalty. Had my back to the incident afterwards though (this was my first game AR in the NPL 1st grade here, so I’ve now learnt to keep an eye on afters in that instance. Luckily the referee picked it up.

Reactions: one
Don't see how any of that changes the debate about the YC. The manager almost certainly doesn't know the law as well as anyone on here, and could have all sorts of other reasons for deciding this isn't a fight worth picking.

And I don't see anyone disputing the idea the fan behavior was unacceptable, the discussion revolves around if the player response to being pushed (twice FYI - once by the opponent to put him over the barrier and then by the fan) required a YC.
You go face to face with a fan, regardless who started it, you get a yc

get pushed by fan, you walk away or, simply stand your ground, , no yc

Last edited:
Nobody has suggested anyone was disputing anything, its out of character for you to try find an arguement in one of my posts.........

it was purely stated as a fact.

point one, manager has been informed at ht why the card was issued. Of course what he says in the media might not accurately reflect his true views, but taken from his own mouth post match, he understands the caution.

You go face to face with a fan, regardless who started it, you get a yc

get pushed by fan, you walk away or, simply stand your ground, , no yc
I'm not doing this again. I'm making a perfectly reasonable counter-point, that's literally the point of a forum, it's not my job to dance around your fragile ego - post on a forum you will get responses and they're not in any way obliged to agree with you. If you want to just spout "facts" without a response, get a twitter account and turn replies off.

EDIT: Here we go. My memory must be really bad, it was early in the second half, the fans would have been making their way back from some half time food. Not sure how to embed video while posting from my phone, (I may have done it correctly) but the penalty incident begins at around the 1 minute mark.
Soft PK, certainly not a YC and the spectators were laughing, so hardly insulted! Leaves the R in a sticky spot...
Observer wants a red, banter to everyone else

Last edited:
I'm not doing this again. I'm making a perfectly reasonable counter-point, that's literally the point of a forum, it's not my job to dance around your fragile ego - post on a forum you will get responses and they're not in any way obliged to agree with you. If you want to just spout "facts" without a response, get a twitter account and turn replies off.

its a fact the guys been charged.

Last edited:
as referee here by the manadory instruction from the law of the land that the referee must deal with players actions off the field of play,
where have you gotten this from?

in my opinion its a yellow. No need for him to go back up to the fan. Had that been his own fan and he was celebrating a goal, it would have been a booking.

Subjectively, there’s also a potential raised hand to the ball boy that may have been/could have been avoided.

I'm still no better at understanding under what law a player could be cautioned for the push by the fan.

where have you gotten this from?

in my opinion its a yellow. No need for him to go back up to the fan. Had that been his own fan and he was celebrating a goal, it would have been a booking.

Subjectively, there’s also a potential raised hand to the ball boy that may have been/could have been avoided.

Few hundred match commander briefs

On the plus side, it is indeed a yellow.

I’m geo blocked, so only going by description. USB is a catch all that can apply here. Professional football is about the spectacle and fans paying to see it. No way do the powers that be want players going back at fans. As I gather from the description, this sounds like a fully expected caution at that level.

YC.
Shows a lack of respect for the game-unsporting behavior.
YC.
Cautionable offense-leaving the field of play without permission. This is when the player did not leave the field under normal play, but leaves to go after an outside agent.

It's off the field, involving outside agent, violent conduct and/or AOI gesture or action will earn a RC.

YC.
Shows a lack of respect for the game-unsporting behavior.
YC.
Cautionable offense-leaving the field of play without permission. This is when the player did not leave the field under normal play, but leaves to go after an outside agent.

It's off the field, involving outside agent, violent conduct and/or AOI gesture or action will earn a RC.

Resoectfully none of this is relevant to this incident, the players natural momentum took him to the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back