A&H

Player pushed by fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted the replay to this which is viewable in Australia (and I suspect also in the US). If you watch it you will satisfied that self-defence is not an issue.
Watched the replay . Borderline caution. While technically the player went into the stands, the referee could have easily just said it was run of play. In any case, the fan’s provocation gives the player the benefit of the doubt.

This was the case of the referee trying to show how well he knows the Laws instead of making the smart, common-sense decision.

The Referee Store
Watched the replay . Borderline caution. While technically the player went into the stands, the referee could have easily just said it was run of play. In any case, the fan’s provocation gives the player the benefit of the doubt.

This was the case of the referee trying to show how well he knows the Laws instead of making the smart, common-sense decision.

the ref had no say in the card

So you’re saying that when Payet has been hit in the head twice with projectiles this season that it’s none of our concern?

You can’t have it both ways. Are you interested in the safety of players or not?

I will always support players defending themselves. I don’t support vigilante justice. If a player is reasonably practicing self defense, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt
Of course if you feel the players safety is compromised then you have to act. In your example, what do you propose, allowing the player to seek out the fan, making a citizen's arrest - you and the players have to leave all that to the police etc.

Reactions: one

Agree this could have been managed without a caution but let's not ignore the fact that the player, after being pushed back took three deliberate steps forward and confronted the fan.

Agree this could have been managed without a caution but let's not ignore the fact that the player, after being pushed back took three deliberate steps forward and confronted the fan.
I'm still no wiser as to what law a yellow could be furnished. Possibly USB, shows a lack of respect for the game?

It is USB as it definitely doesn't fit under any other caution code. He came of the field as part of play.

If you must choose one of those listed in USB then you could use what you said. But it is an open ended list and it doesn't have to be one that is already listed.

He is a a lucky boy that incident didn't end up a lot worse.

AAA is English or British. If you use that it becomes unspecified under lotg.

It is USB as it definitely doesn't fit under any other caution code. He came of the field as part of play.

If you must choose one of those listed in USB then you could use what you said. But it is an open ended list and it doesn't have to be one that is already listed.

He is a a lucky boy that incident didn't end up a lot worse.

AAA is English or British. If you use that it becomes unspecified under lotg.

I guess the tone of the thread is that people can find a reason to issue a yellow, and are using the codes as a way to justify the decision rather than the actual laws of the game. I've no issue with this tbh, but there are folks who say it has to be a yellow, whereas I don't think it is as clear cut.

Certainly, if in one of my (grassroots) matches one of the players momentum took him off the field of play and a similar incident occurred, I could not imagine carding the player for it. I think at most what I would do is what I commonly do - have a quiet word and tell them they really can't do that, but I admired their restraint and I'm only talking to them because the other side will start moaning if I don't.

If a player in one of my matches interacted in this way with a spectator, a caution would be coming very soon after I got control of any mass con which arose

I would then have to ensure the spectator was removed before carrying on.

The player in the OP had every opportunity to take a breath and move on. He did what he did our of a sense of pride. Fair enough, maybe, but certainly has to pay a price.

why the laughing face? the AR was the one who instructed the ref to card
its all been cleared up by the heavenly bodies
not a case of ref trying to show how well he knows the laws at all, entirely a ref taking instruction from the Ar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back