The Ref Stop

Man City v Arsenal

The Ref Stop
Don't think non-league football allows it yet despite the option of 5 subs being available.

They don't. In fact we received the following from the FA:

There is no written regulations to this effect but having had consultations with the FA’s National League System and the Northern Premier League, Southern League and Isthmian League it has been agreed that this should be limited to three players at a time.

When it says National League System, does this mean the National League Prem, North and South - or just the Contributory Leagues?
Pass.

The message I have quoted was sent to all step 3&4 referees. I can't see anything in the National League Rules to say if there is a limit nor do I recall being sent anything as a step 2 AR so I would suggest maybe asking someone at the FA.

The FA notice appears to say National League AND the Contrib leagues.
At one point in the second half on Sunday there were 10 subs standing by the touchline (left wing) watching, not warming up. Who'd be a PL 4th Official?!

Gone way off topic about the number of substitutes!

We aren't and never will be able to sanction people for saying they have an injury that needs assessing, as we can not prove they're not telling the truth.
In instructing the goalkeeper to go down, the sub has clearly shown a lack of respect for the game which is a cautionable offence.

It's a cautionable offence to attempt to deceive the referee, e.g. by feigning injury ...

If Raya had to be told to go down, it's feigned, surely.

Gone way off topic about the number of substitutes!

It's a cautionable offence to attempt to deceive the referee, e.g. by feigning injury ...

If Raya had to be told to go down, it's feigned, surely.
Not necessarily. I’ve seen players struggling with a niggle and their team mate telling them to go down rather than risk playing on untreated.
Yes, we can be pretty sure it isn’t legit, but we can’t be certain, so we can’t sanction for it.

Master stroke by Arteta before the Bolton game, using his inside information from this forum.
With regard to Raya going down injured during the game against MCFC, he (Raya) not even on the bench for Bolton game, so perhaps he was injured despite feelings registered on here. (Prior to any comments about fan forum's, I do not and have never supported Arsenal!).

😂

Master stroke by Arteta before the Bolton game, using his inside information from this forum.
With regard to Raya going down injured during the game against MCFC, he (Raya) not even on the bench for Bolton game, so perhaps he was injured despite feelings registered on here. (Prior to any comments about fan forum's, I do not and have never supported Arsenal!).

😂
Or Arsenal are playing a League 1 side, currently 19th, and in a League Cup game that Arsenal are known for playing back up players or players needing match fitness.

Of those that started last night for Arsenal, only 3 players started against Manchester City. Calafiori, Rice and Saka.
Saka was taken off at half time, guessing for tactical reasons as Ben White replaced him. Only Rice played the entire game against City.

So although Arsenal had a strong bench, they were never, ever, going to need Raya against Bolton. They started some top players (Sterling, Jesus and Jorginho) all of these have barely played this season.
Sterling, since joining, has played 29 minutes, in 2 games, out of the 4 available before last night.
Jorginho, available for 6 games, started just once, against Tottenham, and came on as sub against Atalanta.
Jesus came on for last 6 minutes in opening game, supposedly injured for the next 2, has played less than 90 minutes across 3 games (1 start).

So no, I do not believe he was injured and was why he missed last night.
Arsenal doing what Arsenal do. Play back up players in League Cup.

Or Arsenal are playing a League 1 side, currently 19th, and in a League Cup game that Arsenal are known for playing back up players or players needing match fitness.

Of those that started last night for Arsenal, only 3 players started against Manchester City. Calafiori, Rice and Saka.
Saka was taken off at half time, guessing for tactical reasons as Ben White replaced him. Only Rice played the entire game against City.

So although Arsenal had a strong bench, they were never, ever, going to need Raya against Bolton. They started some top players (Sterling, Jesus and Jorginho) all of these have barely played this season.
Sterling, since joining, has played 29 minutes, in 2 games, out of the 4 available before last night.
Jorginho, available for 6 games, started just once, against Tottenham, and came on as sub against Atalanta.
Jesus came on for last 6 minutes in opening game, supposedly injured for the next 2, has played less than 90 minutes across 3 games (1 start).

So no, I do not believe he was injured and was why he missed last night.
Arsenal doing what Arsenal do. Play back up players in League Cup.
I mean... I think he was joking...

We're at the boundary of fandom, and what as a referee you would do if (say in successive games with the same team) at some point in the game the GK suddenly for no obvious reason sat down in his PA at a break in play, you called on the trainer / medic, and during treatment his manager called the rest of the team together for a tactical team talk. And then it happened the next time you had the same team.

The FA notice appears to say National League AND the Contrib leagues.
At one point in the second half on Sunday there were 10 subs standing by the touchline (left wing) watching, not warming up. Who'd be a PL 4th Official?!

We're at the boundary of fandom, and what as a referee you would do if (say in successive games with the same team) at some point in the game the GK suddenly for no obvious reason sat down in his PA at a break in play, you called on the trainer / medic, and during treatment his manager called the rest of the team together for a tactical team talk. And then it happened the next time you had the same team.
I would ensure I was close to the gk being tested and if I can determine that there is something sinister going on, I would caution for UB and report the incident.

There's, currently, very little you can do to be fair.

There's, currently, very little you can do to be fair.
Though in theory the PL can step in and say that unless a drink/cooling break has been designated, no more than x can make their way to their T/A, rather than this thing we are seeing these days whereby manny outfield players go to their T/A during treatment of an injury.

Though in theory the PL can step in and say that unless a drink/cooling break has been designated, no more than x can make their way to their T/A, rather than this thing we are seeing these days whereby manny outfield players go to their T/A during treatment of an injury.
I think the issue is as long as the players stay on the pitch, there is nothing in Law that says they can't all congregate in the same few square yards next to the technical area

Back