The Ref Stop

Man City v Arsenal

The Ref Stop
I wish the second yellow was for the challenge because it looks reckless too me and totally unnecessary.

As for kicking the ball away, I'm sorry I think it's a poor decision here by Oliver if that was the reason for the second yellow, the ball was a fair distance away from where the free kick was being taken and as he would argue, maybe he didn't hear the whistle and cleared it down field as it was near half time anyways.

Well I'm afraid Michael Oliver has made a rod for his own back there. Fail safe when he brings Walker in to speak to him has to be to make sure he is back in position - same as with a substitution.

I think he will be kicking himself on that one - of course Walker should be smarter in getting back quickly, but it's an avoidable problem.

The Trossard sending off in contrast is 100% player stupidity

As for kicking the ball away, I'm sorry I think it's a poor decision here by Oliver if that was the reason for the second yellow, the ball was a fair distance away from where the free kick was being taken and as he would argue, maybe he didn't hear the whistle and cleared it down field as it was near half time anyways.
If he hadn’t have heard the whistle he wouldn’t have turned around to appeal the free kick. It’s purely Trossard being stupid, especially after the Rice decision. He only has himself to blame

A corner to Man City, in around the 60th minute where Raya pulled off an amazing low save from result of it...
Arsenal player literally got his back to the ball solely watching the City player. Arms up on him trying to stop him from moving, or at least getting to a decent position.
Wish he'd foul him and argue. He wasn't even paying attention.

Just permitted a tactical break
I actually think when a player goes down injured, like Raya did, there should be a "zone" that players can't go in to or they have to go into that's nowhere near coaches.
As you said, it is blatant killing time and tactical changes considering how Arsenal are not even in this second half.

I actually think when a player goes down injured, like Raya did, there should be a "zone" that players can't go in to or they have to go into that's nowhere near coaches.
As you said, it is blatant killing time and tactical changes considering how Arsenal are not even in this second half.
100% so obvious

It's amazing how many players go down with cramp when holding on to a slender lead with 10 men.

And Raya... Every time he catches it, he dives unnecessarily to the floor and stays down for 5-6 seconds before slowly getting up and taking even more time.
Clever.

And I don't know about anyone else, when I've got cramp in my leg(s). It's agony. I need to stretch my leg asap. I can't keep it slightly bent and certainly can't rant with anyone like I saw Martinelli do.

Seeing the physios run on the FOP from that Raya goal kick after MO told him to play on is a terrible piece of game management. We all have off days but it felt like MO struggled today

If he hadn’t have heard the whistle he wouldn’t have turned around to appeal the free kick. It’s purely Trossard being stupid, especially after the Rice decision. He only has himself to blame

However City were nowhere near taking the free kick, it was not like the Rice situation where you can understand why that would be a yellow card. I think especially for a second yellow, you have to be sure that it was deliberate delaying of the game and whether the action actually would really delay the game. The Rice situation is one where you can argue it would because he knocked the ball out of play but I think it's really harsh on this occasion. If the yellow was for the foul in the back, then I have no complaints because there was force and it was deliberate.

Given how it made the second half basically an attack against defense match in one of the biggest games of the season, it will be interesting if this strict approach to kicking the ball away will continue especially if a player is already on a yellow.

However City were nowhere near taking the free kick, it was not like the Rice situation where you can understand why that would be a yellow card. I think especially for a second yellow, you have to be sure that it was deliberate delaying of the game and whether the action actually would really delay the game. The Rice situation is one where you can argue it would because he knocked the ball out of play but I think it's really harsh on this occasion. If the yellow was for the foul in the back, then I have no complaints because there was force and it was deliberate.

Given how it made the second half basically an attack against defense match in one of the biggest games of the season, it will be interesting if this strict approach to kicking the ball away will continue especially if a player is already on a yellow.
How close the ball is to the spot of the foul is irrelevant. After blowing up for a foul he’s booted the ball 30 yards down the pitch thus delaying the restart. It doesn’t have to stop a quick free kick, it just has to delay it. Referees have been strict on it this season and been a big talking point for weeks now so this cannot be anything but stupidity

Last edited:
Back