The Ref Stop

Man City v Arsenal

I'm happy that it's an accurate comment

7 mins was light. Not going beyond 100 mins considering time lost in added time was poor.
Of the 10 added, I reckon they only played 4, maybe 5 at most
Oliver had to stop it when he did. The game was over in every sense

Last year's lone wolf attempt at mad amounts of added time didn't work and is officially over, because I agree that the original 7 was very light

The Ref Stop
How close the ball is to the spot of the foul is irrelevant. After blowing up for a foul he’s booted the ball 30 yards down the pitch thus delaying the restart. It doesn’t have to stop a quick free kick, it just has to delay it. Referees have been strict on it this season and been a big talking point for weeks now so this cannot be anything but stupidity

But the argument in that case he kicked it and may not heard the whistle and I stand by the fact it's not really going to delay the game and the referee could just add an extra 30 seconds anyways. I just think if the referee did nothing there, nobody would of batted an eyelid.

I thought Oliver did well in what looked at times a tough game to referee. Walker has only himself to blame for not being more alert for the first goal, he had plenty of time to get into position but didn't and paid the price basically.

it will be interesting if this strict approach to kicking the ball away will continue especially if a player is already on a yellow.
Applause all round if it is still being enforced come the 38th game of the season.

Feels like we are in that phase of the season where everything is strictly enforced and then theres a slow deterioration over the season.

Well I'm afraid Michael Oliver has made a rod for his own back there. Fail safe when he brings Walker in to speak to him has to be to make sure he is back in position - same as with a substitution.

I think he will be kicking himself on that one - of course Walker should be smarter in getting back quickly, but it's an avoidable problem.

The Trossard sending off in contrast is 100% player stupidity
Lots to learn here, MO calls KWP 15 yards to him, when he was in his own half, noting KWP had not committed the foul, but as captain was asked to assist the referee’s match control, then allows Arsenal to take free kick 10 yards ahead of correct position, not allowing KWP to get back in position & be in his defensive position, before he was called in.

Arguably, the kick was taken before MO was even ready, so undoubtedly should have been called back.

I know some would suggest KWP dawdled but he was inconvenienced by assisting the referee so MO should have checked his position, which he didn't as he had his back to him.

Applause all round if it is still being enforced come the 38th game of the season.

Feels like we are in that phase of the season where everything is strictly enforced and then theres a slow deterioration over the season.

Broadcasters won't be impressed if soft red cards are ruining top games. Fortunately because of Arsenal's heroic defending and City unable to get the equaliser until right at the end, it meant there was still some interest but as a neutral, it was dissapointing such a promising top game was somewhat ruined because of a dubious second yellow card.

Just to note, I'm all for second yellow cards if a player deliberately blocks the ball or kicks it away from the spot where a free kick is taken or holding onto the ball for a prolonged period of time but in this case, I think if Michael Oliver let that go, nobody would be complaining.

Broadcasters won't be impressed if soft red cards are ruining top games. Fortunately because of Arsenal's heroic defending and City unable to get the equaliser until right at the end, it meant there was still some interest but as a neutral, it was dissapointing such a promising top game was somewhat ruined because of a dubious second yellow card.

Just to note, I'm all for second yellow cards if a player deliberately blocks the ball or kicks it away from the spot where a free kick is taken or holding onto the ball for a prolonged period of time but in this case, I think if Michael Oliver let that go, nobody would be complaining.
I'm less concerned about what the broadcasters think.

What I am more concerned about is the lack of consistency in the application of DTR, without dragging up some skeletons, Declan Rice was sent off in the same game that Joao Pedro avoided a booking after kicking a ball a good 50 yards and then today we see Trossard sent off for a near identical situation, and yet we still see the petulant kicking away of the ball going unpunished.

If they are going to focus on, and penalise, DTR this season then they need to focus on the full criteria and get a serious grip on players leaving the ball at throw ins, players slowly walking off when subbed and the most frustrating... goalkeeper restarts who appear to only be guilty of DTR in the final 5 minutes of matches

Reactions: Ori
Few comments.

If you’re sending off trossard after not booking a city player for delaying the start earlier then you are asking for trouble.
I think walker got back into position and actually defended free kick.
Haarland lucky not to be sent off for violent conduct after throwing the ball at the back of the head of Gabrielle.

As for Arsenal “cramps”. They had to substitute 3 players because of it so maybe not all fake.
Also interesting stat given that the ball was in play for 35 minutes that half which is the highest this season in any match.

Personally, I don’t want to see red cards like that, but then the laws and if trossard did hear the whistle he had to go.

Feels like we are verging into fans forum territory
Guess so. I still think these players are idiots for making the ref have to make a decision. Enough

However, what infuriates fans is lack of consistency by referees. As referees we know this on the pitch too. We get the players saying why is that a foul and that isn’t?
Is it wrong to expect consistency by our top referees?

Would really like to hear the communication between the team for Doku kicking the ball away Vs Trossard.

Back to my love for consistency. Yet again, zero consistency in the same game, by the same ref/team and that's when fans, players and managers are getting frustrated. This then leads to the conspiracy theories and all sorts.

Reactions: Ori
It's amazing how many players go down with cramp when holding on to a slender lead with 10 men.

And Raya... Every time he catches it, he dives unnecessarily to the floor and stays down for 5-6 seconds before slowly getting up and taking even more time.
Clever.

And I don't know about anyone else, when I've got cramp in my leg(s). It's agony. I need to stretch my leg asap. I can't keep it slightly bent and certainly can't rant with anyone like I saw Martinelli do.
Good luck to any grassroots ref who tries to enforce the 8 second rule…

Whole different game (apparently) between what you see on Sky and what you see down the local Park.
In this case, however, from catching, and falling to ground, before release, majority of the time Raya held the ball for a good 20-25 seconds if not more.
He knew what he was doing. He had full control of the ball and was under absolutely no pressure at all. No need for that blatant time wasting.

What's the point of that 8 second rule if you're not going to apply it?

I don't think I have ever seen the 8 second, or its predecessor the 6 second rule, being enforced. But then again, this feels like the tip of the iceberg of unenforced rules, particularly in the professional game.

The professional game has a serious issue with time wasting

Am I missing something, or are you talking about the six second rule? But, c’mon, the ship has long sailed on enforcing that in the professional game. I can only think of one example of it ever being called in a pro game—in the WWC. You can’t blame the R for doing what every other professional ref in the world is doing.

Should this change? IMO, yes, but that’s really a different discussion.iMO, it should be 10 seconds, with a visible count toward the end, and the consequence should be either a CK or an IFK at the nearest edge of the PA—to soften the messy consequences that can make Rs reluctant to call it.

Back