The Ref Stop

Man City v Arsenal

The Ref Stop
Didn't they ban tactical instructions during water breaks after restarted the COVID season? Could've been Qatar WC.
Perhaps one AR could listen in to one team talk and the 4th official to the other...

I wonder if anyone keeps stats on which teams have most GK injuries needing attention.

ladbroke8745

I bow to you superior knowledge of Arsenal FC., as you have apparently nailed your colours to the mast.
I'm surprised at the effort and information you put into to your reply. I would not have enough interest in the reasons why Raya was not named in the Bolton game to have gone to such lengths.
I was merely offering the response to earlier threads that Raya may in fact have had a genuine injury (previous posts suggested time wasting).
Thank you however for such a detailed and lengthy explanation (though I still don't know if he was injured or not!).

There isn't a lot you can do about it, if a player goes down injured we have to take their word for it. I suspect what happened in this game is Arteta told the sub Lewis-Skelly to go and tell Raya to go down, the 4th official heard it and told the referee. Although if that was the case there would be a strong argument to say that Arteta should also have been cautioned.

It is very easy to fix, just bring in a law change, or even a league rule change, to say that when a player is getting treatment no more then one player at a time from each team can be within 10 metres of the technical area. If they want to get a drink they have to go one at a time.

As an aside, Arteta did say that the reason Raya wasn't on the bench last night was injury. Which I am tempted to believe as I don't think many clubs would put a 16 year old in goal with no experienced backup on the bench.

There isn't a lot you can do about it, if a player goes down injured we have to take their word for it. I suspect what happened in this game is Arteta told the sub Lewis-Skelly to go and tell Raya to go down, the 4th official heard it and told the referee. Although if that was the case there would be a strong argument to say that Arteta should also have been cautioned.

It is very easy to fix, just bring in a law change, or even a league rule change, to say that when a player is getting treatment no more then one player at a time from each team can be within 10 metres of the technical area. If they want to get a drink they have to go one at a time.

As an aside, Arteta did say that the reason Raya wasn't on the bench last night was injury. Which I am tempted to believe as I don't think many clubs would put a 16 year old in goal with no experienced backup on the bench.
Unless like Pep, not really interested in the competition because the priority is with others. Although many are now dismissing the League Cup saying it’s had its day, I still think it’s worthwhile, especially because of the blooding of younger players into the first team, along with some seniors.

Unless like Pep, not really interested in the competition because the priority is with others. Although many are now dismissing the League Cup saying it’s had its day, I still think it’s worthwhile, especially because of the blooding of younger players into the first team, along with some seniors.
He says that, but they've won it 5 of the past 9 seasons, I think the managers are all just making a point about there being too much football. Plus he had a vastly experienced keeper in goal in Ortega, and his number 1 on the bench. That's a huge jump from having a 16 year old in goal and an 18 year old on the bench.

It looks like Raya is a doubt for their next PL game, so I’d suspect that it is a genuine injury.

Managers getting subs to run down the touch line to pass some form of instruction or have a go at AR isn’t anything new. Colin’s been at it for years.

If a player says they’re injured, especially a goalkeeper, there’s not a lot you can do. We aren’t doctors or physios, so we can’t do much other than stop play. Rugby keeps play going whilst the player gets treatment, but I highly doubt that would work in football.

It’s a difficult position to be in, but unfortunately the ‘dark arts’ are infiltrating the game more and more. I’ve said this plenty of times and I still stand by it; football is no longer an honest game. People are in it to win it at almost all costs.

I would agree with your final sentence especially with the PL, and can also be the same with some Referee’s/ARs on their promotion ladder/journey towards the PL!

ladbroke8745

I bow to you superior knowledge of Arsenal FC., as you have apparently nailed your colours to the mast.
I'm surprised at the effort and information you put into to your reply. I would not have enough interest in the reasons why Raya was not named in the Bolton game to have gone to such lengths.
I was merely offering the response to earlier threads that Raya may in fact have had a genuine injury (previous posts suggested time wasting).
Thank you however for such a detailed and lengthy explanation (though I still don't know if he was injured or not!).

Joys of having nothing to do at work.. eh.

View attachment 7605

Screenshot of a social media post.
Quite a stat this....10% of the match is just Raya taking his time at goal kicks.
It’s probably much less than 9 mins delay because it will take any goalkeeper some seconds to take a goal kick. In any event, if that includes moving across from one side of the goal area to the other, so long as he is not deliberately slow (which he may have been), then Law doesn’t assist with this since it allows him to. So the Law that was introduced to help to reduce delay can now cause it and imho should be changed back to how it use to be and replicates what happens to decide which side of the FoP a corner kick is taken from.

Last edited:
So the Law that was introduced to help to reduce delay can now cause it and imho should be changed back to how it use to be and replicates what happens to decide which side of the FoP a corner kick is taken from.
I don't follow. The social media post and the first part of your post was about goal kick. What I have quoted is about corner kick. What law was changed and what was it changed to?

I don't follow. The social media post and the first part of your post was about goal kick. What I have quoted is about corner kick. What law was changed and what was it changed to?
My history of law knowledge, weak as it is, does not extend far back enough. Was it ever the case that goal kicks had to be taken from the same side of the goal area to that which the ball left the field of play?

That's what I think @David G is referring to that corners are taken from the corner closest to where the ball went out of play and goal kicks might have (confirmation pending)

@Peter Grove

My history of law knowledge, weak as it is, does not extend far back enough. Was it ever the case that goal kicks had to be taken from the same side of the goal area to that which the ball left the field of play?

That's what I think @David G is referring to that corners are taken from the corner closest to where the ball went out of play and goal kicks might have (confirmation pending)

@Peter Grove
Yes my post was in direct response to the post at #153 from Ladbroke..

@Peter Grove
Never heard of it. If there ever was such thing it would have had to had non clear definitions. How do you define "side of the goal area? And what happens if ball goes over the bar (though this is the same for corner kick)? It would have made the shape and the boundaries of goal area not fit for purpose. For corner kick, there are two corner arcs, fully boundaried and fully fit for their purpose.

It did. Up until 1991 Law 16 stated that the ball had to be kicked from the half of the goal area where it went out of play. This was changed to speed the game up, because keepers would faff around placing the ball for the kick only to be told to take it from the other side.

Back