A&H

Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
In my head, that would just be a trip, usually for SPA which is a yellow anyway. I can’t think of a situation where there’s a careless trip with no attempt to play the ball that isn’t stopping a promising attack if that makes sense
Perhaps a push in the back when jumping for a header for example.

All of a sudden someone like Makkelie might be in line for semi.
Entirely possible. A lot is going to depend on which teams continue to advance. If England loses Tuesday, it's entirely possible that we see Oliver and Taylor working a couple of times.

As I saw someone mention in a different forum, Rosetti really needs Cakir and Makkelie to continue working "clean". If either has a match like Brych just had, he's going to run really short of referees.

Entirely possible. A lot is going to depend on which teams continue to advance. If England loses Tuesday, it's entirely possible that we see Oliver and Taylor working a couple of times.

As I saw someone mention in a different forum, Rosetti really needs Cakir and Makkelie to continue working "clean". If either has a match like Brych just had, he's going to run really short of referees.
Yeah that was me lol. BS represent ;)

Brych seemed like a normal ref tonight. Besides the KDB challenge he didn't have any major match decisions. But he missed so many simple fouls that led to some bad outcomes. So unusual.

Brych seemed like a normal ref tonight. Besides the KDB challenge he didn't have any major match decisions. But he missed so many simple fouls that led to some bad outcomes. So unusual.
I think this has been a feature right through the tournament.
I think it's also been exacerbated by Rosetti's penalty remarks about little contact and ot awarding pens or fouls.
Also the pressure of the games has ramped up with losers leaving the xcomp so expect refs to not be as comfy as perhaps they were on group stages

Reactions: es1
Totally agree.

It’s like Rosetti has asked them to move the foul line for the tournament and this was an outcome.

I did like how he “left bodies” a few times but I think he lost the players by not whistling bread and butter stuff early in the game.

The big obvious one he missed was the shirt pulling on Rom up the middle. But that looked like poor positioning as he was directly behind.

TBH the constant tinkering by the authorities is driving me nuts. Must be such a pain for the refs.

Totally agree.

It’s like Rosetti has asked them to move the foul line for the tournament and this was an outcome.

I did like how he “left bodies” a few times but I think he lost the players by not whistling bread and butter stuff early in the game.

The big obvious one he missed was the shirt pulling on Rom up the middle. But that looked like poor positioning as he was directly behind.

TBH the constant tinkering by the authorities is driving me nuts. Must be such a pain for the refs.
The shirt pull, the only explanation here is the new definition of holding.
The holding didn't really affect Lukakus movement. Don't get me wrong, I'm whistling that as a foul BUT I can also see how as the law is now written why it is not

The holding didn't really affect Lukakus movement. Don't get me wrong, I'm whistling that as a foul BUT I can also see how as the law is now written why it is not

Interesting comments from Lee Dixon regarding that incident. "He can't have it both ways"..ie can't be given the advantage and also be given the free kick if no advantage materialises. My question is..did the ref actually signal for an advantage and shout "Advantage, play on ?". If not, who says he was given the advantage ?

Interesting comments from Lee Dixon regarding that incident. "He can't have it both ways"..ie can't be given the advantage and also be given the free kick if no advantage materialises. My question is..did the ref actually signal for an advantage and shout "Advantage, play on ?". If not, who says he was given the advantage ?

I thought he also said the pass was misplaced, and that the advantage was wasted by Lukaku?

I thought he also said the pass was misplaced, and that the advantage was wasted by Lukaku?
There was no advantage signal if I recall correctly. Actually think the ref did the waggy finger no foul that appears to be an unofficial signal that has crept in... Lahoz being the worst one for it

In my head, that would just be a trip, usually for SPA which is a yellow anyway. I can’t think of a situation where there’s a careless trip with no attempt to play the ball that isn’t stopping a promising attack if that makes sense
Defender shepherding ball out for a goal kick, tripped just inside the f. o. p. near the goal line, would be one example.

I think Byrch did OK. Toughest game of the Tournament (so far) to Referee
Player screaming was off the scale. Pathetic. Two teams hell bent on cheating throughout
Great to see some of Ronaldo's cheating completely blanked by Byrch. The egotist looked quite silly when his childish pleas were completely blanked. Looked like the R was losing control at one point, but the players were behaving like utter morons so it wasn't easy
The Refs have clearly been told to ignore some of the stuff that's spoiling the games, so Byrch had a tough remit to invoke. Nonetheless, that's the mandate which has improved the overall standard of Refereeing in the Euros, so I'm hoping the Refs don't lose their nerve as the stakes increase

There was no advantage signal if I recall correctly. Actually think the ref did the waggy finger no foul that appears to be an unofficial signal that has crept in... Lahoz being the worst one for it

There was no advantage signal. Brych gave the traditional type of "get up" hand wave to Lukaku. He was caught in a straight line, but you would think his lead AR or even the other two officials would have seen the shirt pulls to provide help. Brych was caught out of position - it happens to the best of us. That's why there are three or four officials on upper-level matches.

I get @Big Cat 's point about both teams complaining. In the "chicken or egg" case, I think the complaining really started because Brych either missed or didn't want to call some pretty basic fouls that really would have taken the temperature of the match down considerably. I know I was watching the match with the benefit of hindsight, but from about the 17th minute I started to see smaller fouls that could have been called in the flow of the match and would have let the players know he was going to call them. Personally, I thought the challenge on KDB was a send-off. It was from behind with a scissor and dangerous despite getting a piece of the ball. From that point, Brych really had a hard time controlling the game.

I realize one of the key directives was to not call as many small fouls to let the match flow more, but I think Brych went too far the other way. He then just got to a point where I think he was unsure (at least relative to his normal level) about what to call next. I think we've all been there at some point where you know things are sliding sideways and you just hope you can get to the end of the match without a major confrontation or blow-up. If nothing else, this game showed me 1) any referee, even one at the very top level, can have this type of game and 2) calling the expected fouls early can go a long way toward making a match go more smoothly.

Excellent example. Much better than my one 👍 do you think that could/should be introduced into the laws?
Good grief, why? The attacker in that context is trying to get to the ball to play it. Why in the world would we want to caution that if it doesn't rise to the level of reckless?
Perhaps a push in the back when jumping for a header for example.
Again, that is a player trying to play the ball? Why would we want that to be a caution? (Unless of course it became SPAA or reckless?)

That is an excellent point.

Still, it looked to me that he didn’t see it. I also think that it was such an obvious DFK and YC for USB (blatant holding) that it surely can’t be the intention of the guideline. Tinkering again though- creating problems for referees that didn’t exist before.

In the end - even though I appreciated Brych leaving bodies and letting game flow - it did not present well.

That is an excellent point.

Still, it looked to me that he didn’t see it. I also think that it was such an obvious DFK and YC for USB (blatant holding) that it surely can’t be the intention of the guideline. Tinkering again though- creating problems for referees that didn’t exist before.

In the end - even though I appreciated Brych leaving bodies and letting game flow - it did not present well.
I think this absolutely impeded Lukakas's movement--you can see him straining against being held back and an impact on his balance. Brych either didn't see the hold or didn't see the impact because he was straight lined. This would have easily been called on VAR review if it had been in the PA.

But this isn't a new concept either. While the addition to the glossary is new, not calling holding fouls when a shirt pull had no impact has long been handled through the concept of trifling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back