A&H

Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think two things made it red. The first is the referee's position, which made it obvious to see that Wilson didn't move towards the ball and rather targeted the player. From a different angle that might not have been as obvious. The second is the time of the game and the score, whilst not right I suspect if that happened in the first half he would have gone yellow. At the end of the game with the score meaning the game is over as a contest, the safest option there is to go red as it prevents any possible retribution. Players really don't like it when one of their team mates is hacked down like that, so getting the offender off the pitch is probably the best approach.

The Referee Store
Their nationality is irrelevant though as they all have to speak pretty much perfect English. The English exam they have to take is set at a very high level.
Which was my point. And they can be involved in game changing decisions.
In reality as VAR its to advise a check not actually say what to do.

So a Spanish on field team and an Italian VAR team speaking English is better than an all Spanish team?

Communication just has to be better if the whole team are speaking 'mother tongue' rather than a 2nd language - however proficient everyone is at that language.

There must be a reason why on field and VAR teams are mostly from the same country?

So a Spanish on field team and an Italian VAR team speaking English is better than an all Spanish team?

Communication just has to be better if the whole team are speaking 'mother tongue' rather than a 2nd language - however proficient everyone is at that language.

There must be a reason why on field and VAR teams are mostly from the same country?

Ideally yes, but logistical reasons mean it won't always be possible. Plus some countries are much more mature in using VAR than others, and some don't use it at all. VAR experience and knowledge has to be more important than being from the same country. I'm pretty sure if you listed to a VAR discussion between an Italian and Spanish team you'd be surprised about how strong their English is. Most European countries are less insular than us Brits and learn English from a very young age, to the extent that by adulthood their English is pretty much perfect.

Don't hold your breath. You would never get an official statement saying that something is yellow in the first 10 minutes but red in the last 5 minutes. This decision had a lot more to do with the 'context' than the 'contact'.

If you like, call it an orange and asking for clarification why an orange tackle should go one way or other. It wont come.

I wasn't referring to the time of the offence. I was referring to the nature of challenge ie not attempt to play the ball. These types of challenges tend to happen later in matches but not exclusively.

Ideally yes, but logistical reasons mean it won't always be possible. Plus some countries are much more mature in using VAR than others, and some don't use it at all. VAR experience and knowledge has to be more important than being from the same country. I'm pretty sure if you listed to a VAR discussion between an Italian and Spanish team you'd be surprised about how strong their English is. Most European countries are less insular than us Brits and learn English from a very young age, to the extent that by adulthood their English is pretty much perfect.
Good points, but as you say different factors are taken into account when deciding the make up of the teams, and the prevalence of same nationality teams so far, must mean that is being taken into consideration?

Yes. But I thought they were all meant to speak English still, irrelevant of mother tongue.
Hence the Romanian dude getting in hot water, It was expected that they should have spoken English... However there was obviously a mix of nationality between teams as well and perhaps R and VAR spoke native language.. Who knows.
As Rusty says, the English is of a level that it wouldn't make. A great amount of difference. Plus I imagine they have to use specific phrases, checking x. Checking y. Check complete. Or recommend review at pitch side to check for x offence.
You don't ever actually really see a two way conversation so I doubt there are real technical discussions happening.

Fair points but have to say, I HAVE heard plenty of 2 way conversations in various videos.

The UEFA 'promotional' videos had a few and there is one on the internet showing Jared Gillet working in Australia with VAR and he is certainly engaging in conversation with his VAR team - that's in 'Australian' of course! :p ;)

Good points, but as you say different factors are taken into account when deciding the make up of the teams, and the prevalence of same nationality teams so far, must mean that is being taken into consideration?

I'm sure it will be, and makes sense to have same country teams. Not because of language though, but more that they are used to working with each other.

There are no VAR officials from (based on where the referees are from) Israel, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey and Argentina, so mixed teams and languages are inevitable. Additionally, Netherlands, Portugal and Poland don't have three or more VAR officials, so they have to pair up with other nationalities.

For me, that was a yellow card, but I would like them to be red cards. I've said it before on here - I would like the law to say something like 'if a player makes a deliberate, reckless challenge with no attempt to play the ball, it should be a red card'. To me, it looked a red from first viewing, but the replay showed a low point of contact, and not much force behind it at all. The speed made me think red initially, but I don't think this ticked the SFP boxes. I think it was a yellow card, but I can understand red. I think there should be more clarification in law whether challenges like this (with no attempt to play the ball) should be seen as reckless, violent or dangerous

Interesting dogso review there. Happy with dogso.
The interesting bit is was it a foul on orange first? And what happens if the ref thought it was. Can he change to def DFK?

Suprised it was overturned to a red by Attwell as I've seen a lot more (in my opinion) worthy DOGSO's not get overturned in the prem.

The interesting bit is was it a foul on orange first? And what happens if the ref thought it was. Can he change to def DFK?
Very clear DOGSO for me, I think It really should have been given live though.

And yes to the VAR theory question, although not a clear foul for me.

To be honest I thought it was a foul, and there's nothing to say he couldn't have changed his decision to a defensive free kick, but I was only expecting the yellow to be (correctly) upgraded to red.

To be honest I thought it was a foul, and there's nothing to say he couldn't have changed his decision to a defensive free kick, but I was only expecting the yellow to be (correctly) upgraded to red.
Theoretically the R could reverse it to a free kick for NED. But the VAR can only recommend an OFR if the VAR believes it clearly needed to be upgraded to red. So in practice it would be pretty stunning to see it send down for a possible upgrade to red and have it instead become a FK the other direction.

Reactions: ARF
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back