A&H

Spain Vs Russia

The Referee Store
So clear in my mind, shocked at some of disagreement! You're all entitled to your opinions of course, but I'm surprised how many don't think that is a penalty!
Your ability to dredge instant footage from the VAR library is remarkable. The image does support the HB claim, but I'm not a mind reader and can't therefore say why the defender was doing windmills. My training (the book) mentioned proximity and hand moving toward ball with the fashionable caveat of unnatural position thrown in there at some point. I'm saying that this fails on that criteria, although i accept that FIFA seem to have changed their guidance on this in recent weeks - Probably to bump up the VAR stats, who knows?

Your ability to dredge instant footage from the VAR library is remarkable. The image does support the HB claim, but I'm not a mind reader and can't therefore say why the defender was doing windmills. My training (the book) mentioned proximity and hand moving toward ball with the fashionable caveat of unnatural position thrown in there at some point. I'm saying that this fails on that criteria, although i accept that FIFA seem to have changed their guidance on this in recent weeks - Probably to bump up the VAR stats, who knows?
It's been the whole of last season.

Not everything is because 'FIFA are playing by their own rules'

This was a handball last week, it's a handball this week and it will be a handball next week.

Starts to jumps and uses hands to get height. Natural.
View attachment 2166

Pushes both hands downwards to get further height. Natural
View attachment 2164

Left arm goes back up. Unnatural and very deliberate.
View attachment 2165
It's shown better in CW's post
Not much value in stills
Like I say, I don't know why he was doing Windmills. If it was deliberate, cheating has gone to a whole new skillful level. One which has even evaded my very sensitive cheating antenna/whiskers

Unless we're saying he he has eyes in the back of his head, he couldn't have had any idea where the ball was. I don't see how you can deliberately handle a ball if you don't even know where it is.
He knew an attacker was behind him. And if the ball goes past him there is a very good chance the attacker is going to head it back in. You don't need eyes behind the back of your head for that. He knew full well what he was doing even if he couldn't see the ball behind him. The arm had no business going back up after it is in the motion of coming down.

Not everything is because 'FIFA are playing by their own rules'

This was a handball last week, it's a handball this week and it will be a handball next week.
In your world, i accept that
In my world, these might be given or they might not
I'm not directly disagreeing with you because I genuinely see your point. I'm not blinkered, but I'm peed off with the inconsistency

Reactions: JH
He knew an attacker was behind him. And if the ball goes past him there is a very good chance the attacker is going to head it back in. You don't need eyes behind the back of your head for that. He knew full well what he was doing even if he couldn't see the ball behind him. The arm had no business going back up after it is in the motion of coming down.
@one , as your prodigal student, I'll take something from your guidance here
Despite the arm movement, I just don't think it's clear enough to know the defender was cheating. I can live with us not agreeing on this

Reactions: one
The overriding feature of this game for me: absolutely dismal football, especially by Spain, also by Russia.
Spain don't look like they are playing to win.

@one , as your prodigal student, I'll take something from your guidance here
Despite the arm movement, I just don't think it's clear enough to know the defender was cheating. I can live with us not agreeing on this
Never intended to insinuate he was cheating. A deliberate handball or a deliberate foul doesn't mean cheating. They are an accepted part of football with a punishment for it. Its completely different to something like simulation.

It was handball last year, four years ago, and eight years ago too.
Hmm I don't think so - bear in mind (it seemed to me) Pique didn't see the header. This situation (like the ball hitting a defender's outstretched hands as she slides to block a cross) has only clearly been classed as an offence since 2017, isn't that the case? Before that, this was unlikely to be given.

Was it Fabregas at half time said he thought Isco has the best ball control in the world?

He has shown some wonderful touches.

FIFA World Rankings here so massive pinch of salt
But who'd have thought we'd have England at the last 16 stage, with only one top ten team in their half of the draw (assuming Russia do the business)

Back