A&H

players equipment

max9456

Level 3 Referee
law 4.1 clearly states that the wearing of any jewellery is forbidden and must be removed. using tape to cover jewellery is not permitted so how are two spurs players allowed to do this. one of them even kisses his taped up wedding ring when he scores

The Referee Store
Comes up all the time, there is nothing underneath it. They tape it to show that they normally wear a ring, presumably to avoid grief from the other half for taking it off.

I don't buy Rusty's explanation despite previous discussions on the subject. Just EPL refs not applying the LOTG, making life very difficult for the rest of us at grass roots. Sorry Rusty, no need for you to comeback on this.... I just ain't having it!

I've never had a problem getting players to take their jewelry off.

And even when people complain I've never heard anyone say "ohh such and such wore his on match of the day last night".

I don't buy Rusty's explanation despite previous discussions on the subject. Just EPL refs not applying the LOTG, making life very difficult for the rest of us at grass roots. Sorry Rusty, no need for you to comeback on this.... I just ain't having it!

As I said last time, I've seen it countless times when I've done National League games or EPL / EFL U23 games. Not once when it has been checked was there anything under the tape, although it is usually a cloth band rather than tape.

As I said last time, I've seen it countless times when I've done National League games or EPL / EFL U23 games. Not once when it has been checked was there anything under the tape, although it is usually a cloth band rather than tape.
I think we're agreed that the practice should be forbidden. The explanation of 'keeping the missus happy' is not credible imo

I think that people blaming the EPL for bad discipline in their leagues is easy, but ultimately a mugs game.

If there is a problem with dissent, or offinabus, or people refusing to take jewelry off then you need to look at your fellow match officials.

If players in your leagues get upset because they have to take their wedding ring off, I guarantee it is because they are used to referees either not checking, or just ignoring the rings, not because Harry Kane had some tape on his finger.

What is wrong with tape on a finger? A wrist? Otherwise?

Nothing. There's only a problem if there's something underneath it.
Because........... players at grass roots can and will claim that it's one rule for some and another for others
I'd've thought that was obvious for anyone who'se had the usual jewellery debate on a Sunday morning a few times

Because........... players at grass roots can and will claim that it's one rule for some and another for others
I'd've thought that was obvious for anyone who'se had the usual jewellery debate on a Sunday morning a few times
Do they?

It's a genuine question because in nearly 6 years of officiating I've never heard a player try and use something a premier League player has done to justify why I should let them do or wear something that they shouldn't.

I can honestly say that I've never had a player at grass roots level say they should be able to wear jewellery because they've seen Harry Kane, or others, get away with it on TV. Just hasn't happened.
I had that exact conversation with a kid in Rickmansworth (playing for Mill End) last season and I've been in the game for infinitely less time than you (reffing that is)
So there :p Have it!

Oh, c'mon, so a sport alec kid makes an argument, so we should ban professional players from doing something safe? Pick a path and it's not a big deal:
  • "Nope, they put the tape on because they have to take off the ring, too--you can do the same thing if you want."
  • "You can argue with me when you get paid a million to play, but until then, off it comes."

Oh, c'mon, so a sport alec kid makes an argument, so we should ban professional players from doing something safe? Pick a path and it's not a big deal:
  • "Nope, they put the tape on because they have to take off the ring, too--you can do the same thing if you want."
  • "You can argue with me when you get paid a million to play, but until then, off it comes."
As it had occurred to me (in my fledgling experience), I thought this conversation must have been common for others. Maybe not!
But it did mean that the subject bugged me from there on as that player was literally having none of it. Hard enough at the best of times without giving players reasonable justification for their arguments. He played ringless, but I've had the ring about it since

The only excuse I’ve had is “it doesn’t come off”. Followed by “you can’t play then”. Followed very swiftly by it miraculously coming off. Every single time!
I remember a World Cup qualifier that was held 3 blocks from my house a number of years back...

One of the Canadian players couldn't get a wedding band off. Actually couldn't. They ended up taking a Dremmel to it so that he could play. Ref was 100% not letting him near the field with it on.

Lacazette was wearing a ring in the game against Wolves. Not tape - a big, gold ring on the ring finger of his right hand.

Lacazette.jpg

Last edited:
I remember a World Cup qualifier that was held 3 blocks from my house a number of years back...

One of the Canadian players couldn't get a wedding band off. Actually couldn't. They ended up taking a Dremmel to it so that he could play. Ref was 100% not letting him near the field with it on.
Happened to a guy in Australia back in 2005/06. He couldn't get the ring off, so they put him on the bench, and then they still couldn't get it off, so he got it cut off the next day and resized. Club was sponsored by an insurance company, so the back page advertisement of Soccer Australia Magazine was covered with a picture of him and his shiny ring and some snappy comment about when you need insurance.

Lacazette was wearing a ring in the game against Wolves. Not tape - a big, gold ring on the ring finger of his right hand.

Lacazette.jpg
What do we expect? This would be a Bismark for 7 to 6 promotion, but it's OK for the pros because of double standards
The vagary of allowing tape to cover areas where jewellery would ordinarily be expected is part of the problem. It is not 'protective equipment'.

Football does not stand to gain financially by applying this Law, so it doesn't happen. That's it.... another Law not worth the paper it's published on

Back