A&H

My first taste of aggressive verbal abuse!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I talk to much or shall I say type to much Sheff, I think I should leave off speaking about my refereeing for a while, the seasons pretty much done now anyway.

I’m to open for my own good, I’ll never learn :smoke:
Think twice, post once!!!

The Referee Store
I did say AR wasn’t for me it’s part of refereeing but it’s done nothing but hinder me so far.

Anyway see how we go, if I get verbal again and I react again then maybe the whole thing isn’t for me, be a shame if that is the case coz I was just starting to enjoy it.
Dude, I'm not gonna let that slide!

I can't write more now... but three lines in a week... first time being properly threatened... total loss of composure... unsure how AR should communicate with referee in oddball incident... YOU ARE A REFEREE! Rejoice!

I did say AR wasn’t for me it’s part of refereeing but it’s done nothing but hinder me so far.

Anyway see how we go, if I get verbal again and I react again then maybe the whole thing isn’t for me, be a shame if that is the case coz I was just starting to enjoy it.
Dude, I'm not gonna let that slide!

I can't write more now... but three lines in a week... first time being properly threatened... total loss of composure... unsure how AR should communicate with referee in oddball incident... YOU ARE A REFEREE! Rejoice!

I think I talk to much or shall I say type to much Sheff, I think I should leave off speaking about my refereeing for a while, the seasons pretty much done now anyway.

I’m to open for my own good, I’ll never learn :smoke:

Your problem is not being too open.....it’s not liking the answers/opinions given.

Rather than reflect on sound advice, even if it’s not what you wanted to hear, you are instead choosing to flounce around in a huff, blaming everyone else for not blowing smoke up your rectum.

Your problem is not being too open.....it’s not liking the answers/opinions given.

Rather than reflect on sound advice, even if it’s not what you wanted to hear, you are instead choosing to flounce around in a huff, blaming everyone else for not blowing smoke up your rectum.

I’m not blaming anyone for anything, the only person to blame was me for posting what happened I knew as I typed that I’d get this reaction, I even said in my original post I don’t want to argue with anyone on this I just wanted to share what happened.

Low and behold I’ve reacted to nearly every post, I’ll keep things to my self from now on, I’ll only ask advice on laws and interpretation not anything human like emotion etc.

I knew I’d be going against the grain becoming a ref & it’s becoming more apparent by the day.

...I think it's very healthy to discuss the emotional side - it's the part I find hardest (I don't get angry, I get sad!).

One other thing I learn here: we are all better at handling whistles than handling social media ;)

...I think it's very healthy to discuss the emotional side - it's the part I find hardest (I don't get angry, I get sad!).

One other thing I learn here: we are all better at handling whistles than handling social media ;)

I agree I’m not on any single piece of social media apart from this forum, my Mrs and mates think I’m mad for not being on Facebook Instagram etc but I’m just not interested plus the fact If I can get myself in trouble or cause grief on here with people that are generally on my side and fellow referees etc god only knows what aggro i’d get voicing my opinions on social media to do with every day topics.

I’m gonna wait until midweek before posting anything regarding my games at weekends let the dust settle a bit & let me calm down.

If we can't stay calm, how can we expect the players to stay calm?
Take all the good advice offered in the right spirit.
I would be furious with an AR if this had happened and he had not let me know about it immediately. Apart from the sanction, so early in the game it would have given me a good indication of the team I was dealing with, as, like dogs, team's behaviour often reflects that of its master.

I've been shouted at and threatened a handful of times in my 5 years of reffing, mostly resulting in red cards and (to my shame) one or twice not.

I've never been physically assaulted - not even a push, let alone a punch or slap.

I think if I'd reacted to shouting or threats on the assumption it was going to escalate, I probably wouldn't be able to say the second of the two above sentences. That's why we have to be able to rise above it when it is "only" words, and not resort to self-defence unless it's a real last resort.

If we can't stay calm, how can we expect the players to stay calm?
Take all the good advice offered in the right spirit.
I would be furious with an AR if this had happened and he had not let me know about it immediately. Apart from the sanction, so early in the game it would have given me a good indication of the team I was dealing with, as, like dogs, team's behaviour often reflects that of its master.

i guess it depends on how seriously you would take it as the referee, I’d like to think I’d have a zero tolerance stance on it & would remove the person from the sidelines or get them well away from the Lino.

Thinking back the ref didn’t actually get him to move straight away we was still fairly close to one and other and the only two on that side of the pitch, every spectator subs etc were on the otherside of the field & it was just me & him on my side, it’s obviusly a tactic and sumfin he does on a regular basis stands with the far side Lino and lays straight into him.

I just really hope the situation doesn’t arise again as it knocked me a bit trying to concentrate afterwards & I thought shall I just drop the flag knock the c*nt out & call it a day.

See once again it’s pis*ing me off thinking about it, I’ll not be discussing any negative experiences on here again non lotg related because it’s just going into a sh*t situation that doesn’t need to be dug up again.

@Men in Black I'm sure that everyone on here empathises with the feeling of possibly wishing to be able to retaliate. We do have a duty according to the laws of the game to ensure that we don't - it's a job (as well as a hobby) at the end of the day and match officials must be professional. For example yesterday I had to referee a player I send off every single time for verbals towards myself. In the end he gets himself sent off for screaming and swearing at me for his team getting an advantage for a foul on him.

Did I react? Nope. Used the tools I had and got rid.

Another one I've had on the line, manager started screaming and swearing at me and called me a spastic. Flag went up and made sure he was gone. Use the tools you've got as a referee - it'll make your life a lot easier mate! Baptism of fire on here for you, keep working at it!

i guess it depends on how seriously you would take it as the referee, I’d like to think I’d have a zero tolerance stance on it & would remove the person from the sidelines or get them well away from the Lino.

Thinking back the ref didn’t actually get him to move straight away we was still fairly close to one and other and the only two on that side of the pitch, every spectator subs etc were on the otherside of the field & it was just me & him on my side, it’s obviusly a tactic and sumfin he does on a regular basis stands with the far side Lino and lays straight into him.

I just really hope the situation doesn’t arise again as it knocked me a bit trying to concentrate afterwards & I thought shall I just drop the flag knock the c*nt out & call it a day.

See once again it’s pis*ing me off thinking about it, I’ll not be discussing any negative experiences on here again non lotg related because it’s just going into a sh*t situation that doesn’t need to be dug up again.

You keep saying your not a violent man etc etc and then say things like "Should i just knock the c*nt out". I have been on this forum for 6 years and i have never said this to anyone before but here goes, REFEREEING IS NOT FOR YOU. Judging by your other posts, where your lack of knowledge on law even very basic ones, your complete and utter disrespect of the position of "lino" as you put it and now wanting to knock out spectators who give you some grief, then surely you come to conclusion that your just not cut out for this.

You keep saying your not a violent man etc etc and then say things like "Should i just knock the c*nt out". I have been on this forum for 6 years and i have never said this to anyone before but here goes, REFEREEING IS NOT FOR YOU. Judging by your other posts, where your lack of knowledge on law even very basic ones, your complete and utter disrespect of the position of "lino" as you put it and now wanting to knock out spectators who give you some grief, then surely you come to conclusion that your just not cut out for this.

I think that is a bit harsh.

Laws can be learned, as can their application and “spirit” albeit with quite a bit of trial and error over many games.

People’s attitudes can change, and I imagine anyone going from player to referee does have to make some adjustments to the way they view the game of football, and how they view tackles and even how they interact with players etc.

But they need to be willing to make those changes, and to be willing to listen to and consider advice from other referees, even if it is negative.

I think that is a bit harsh.

Laws can be learned, as can their application and “spirit” albeit with quite a bit of trial and error over many games.

People’s attitudes can change, and I imagine anyone going from player to referee does have to make some adjustments to the way they view the game of football, and how they view tackles and even how they interact with players etc.

But they need to be willing to make those changes, and to be willing to listen to and consider advice from other referees, even if it is negative.

Sorry i don't see it harsh at all, there are 5 pages of people telling him he is wrong and then STILL comes out with...........

I thought shall I just drop the flag knock the c*nt out & call it a day.

Sorry i don't see it harsh at all, there are 5 pages of people telling him he is wrong and then STILL comes out with...........

True, but if this is something that he really wants to do, then providing he is willing to make some changes (learning the laws, being more open to the idea of running the line, and learning to control his temper) then he could do well.

Of course he could also decide that he knows better than people who e been doing this for years and keep things the way they are, and then when he has harder games that he can’t control, or never gets out of the bottom division because his league don’t trust him with higher standard games he might just give up.

Hold my hands up on laws I didn’t put enough time and effort into them I thought I could get away with the basics & then gave offside from a goal kick which was a wake up call, I did pass my exam getting 4 questions wrong out of 42 so I believe I have a degree of knowledge with the laws but a hell of a lot to learn still.

As for AR yes I was dismissive of the role yes I slated it etc BUT now I’ve ran 300 mins in a week I’ve got a better idea of what it’s all about, yesterday’s incident aside I’ve enjoyed it to a degree & it’s been good to work and watch more experienced referees, it’s not my preference to run the line but I now understand it’s part of the job especially this time of year with Cups and league deciders.

As for my anger / violence etc, I’m 34 and been arrested once for a drunken brawl after a guy attacked his pregnant Mrs right infront of me, that’s the only conversation I’ve ever had with the law. I’m not violent I have self control as I said yesterday thoughts ran through my head of what I wanted to do but did I follow through with those thoughts NO!

I don’t like injustice bullies or people not being able to protect themselves i’d be the first to jump in if an old young or vunrable person was in trouble, yesterday somebody went out of there way to verbally threaten and abuse me & I saw red! I’m human and it was an instinctive reaction, I was disappointed for my fellow Lino and referee that it had happened and Im disappointed now that I didn’t follow the correct procedures in calling the referee over, it’s the first issue I’ve had in nearly 20 games of officiating and it’s one i’d Like to learn from and forget.

As for your statement weather or not this is for me or not only time will tell, I wasn’t forced to become a referee I did it off my own back, I’ve enjoyed it upuntil now I’m just learning the hard way with every obstacle I come accross & yes everyone on here is right I shouldn’t have reacted the way I did & believe me I’m not proud of it but I’m human and we all make mistakes.

Let’s draw a line under it & hope that if & it’s a big IF it ever happens again I’ll be able to handle it in the correct way.

doesnt matter if you are not the ref or the fact it wasnt a player, what you should have done was get the referee over get the guy binned, simples the way you reacted is an easy lesson in how to lose your referee badge there are enough mindless thugs who are players referees dont need them

Am sure am not the only person on here smelling some made up p1sh

If you as AR act like that when am referee then your game is over, your being sent to the changing room and your immediate future as a match official will be up for committee intervention

The manager/coach will be leaving the pitch too.

You both can continue your totally unnacceptable conduct in your own private playpen. Far away from where everybody else will attempt to partake in a sporting event.

Am sure am not the only person on here smelling some made up p1sh

If you as AR act like that when am referee then your game is over, your being sent to the changing room and your immediate future as a match official will be up for committee intervention

The manager/coach will be leaving the pitch too.

You both can continue your totally unnacceptable conduct in your own private playpen. Far away from where everybody else will attempt to partake in a sporting event.

Praise the lord you weren’t the referee then and I actually had a human in the middle.

Anyway appreciate your response because my initial reaction was to bite but as I need to learn, mug’s will always be mug’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back