A&H

Jewellery - when did it change?

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
How long ago was it that the Law 4 was changed such that you could no longer wear jewellery taped up, it had to come off?

Reason I ask is that I'm virtually certain some of the players who pretend not to know they can't tape it up were born after that change.

The Referee Store
How long ago was it that the Law 4 was changed such that you could no longer wear jewellery taped up, it had to come off?

Reason I ask is that I'm virtually certain some of the players who pretend not to know they can't tape it up were born after that change.
In local football a taped plain band wedding ring is accepted by The FA, not so at Step 6 or above.
Other jewellery needs to be removed. When the player tells you they have worn their skull and crossbones ring all season, be strong - "It comes off, or you don't play"
(One of our local colleagues offers to fetch bolt cutters from his van, but that is not recommended 😁)

In local football a taped plain band wedding ring is accepted by The FA, not so at Step 6 or above.
Is it? I don't think it is... Have you got some reference material for that?

Edit: Quick Google and I have found this on the Essex FA. It's a little more complex than just 'accepted':

(Emphasis my own)

Attention has been drawn to the fact that all jewellery is banned during games at Supply League level - and cannot be taped up - although in grassroots the interpretation has one small proviso. The FA do not want grassroots matches postponed due to “small infringements” so, if a player can prove he/she can’t remove a plain wedding band, they may tape it up and play.

The guidance reads: “You, as the referee, are the final arbiter as to what is right and what is not. If you deem that the game is being played at grassroots level and a player tapes up his/her plain wedding band then please report the player and their club to their respective league and the County FA after playing the game.”

“If you decide that you will apply law 100% and the player will not play, then the County FA will back you. Again, please report the player and their club to their respective league and the County FA. Please remember that the taping up of a plain wedding band is only a last resort the player must prove that they cannot remove it first.”

Last edited:
A local FA changing something that directly contradicts lotg is very dangerous. One of my old local FAs allowed flat wedding bands and got trumpet by the state body.

For me it's simple, a local rule that directly changes lotg means they are no longer playing "football". It's a variation of it like a 6 aside summer comp.

A question though. If it's a flat band and it's so tight that can't come off, why do they have to tape it up?

A local FA changing something that directly contradicts lotg is very dangerous. One of my old local FAs allowed flat wedding bands and got trumpet by the state body.

For me it's simple, a local rule that directly changes lotg means they are no longer playing "football". It's a variation of it like a 6 aside summer comp.

A question though. If it's a flat band and it's so tight that can't come off, why do they have to tape it up?
Interestingly, I can only find it on Essex FA and not directly from FA or any other associations. Most others have the very clear jewellery is forbidden in line with LOTG.

County FAs can do what they like it seems(?)
My games are refereed according to the FAs LOTG - jewellery comes off. End of.

This player thing where they believe it can still remain on so long as it's taped up - well .... it's right up there with "You can't say leave it" and "but I got the ball ref!". :rolleyes:

If a player showed up with their fingers taped but no rings are visible, would you check closer? What are your thoughts on wrist tape? Do you try to determine if there are any bracelets underneath? Lots of kids here in the US like to wear these cloth bracelets. They can easily be taped over and go unnoticed. Thoughts?

If a player showed up with their fingers taped but no rings are visible, would you check closer? What are your thoughts on wrist tape? Do you try to determine if there are any bracelets underneath? Lots of kids here in the US like to wear these cloth bracelets. They can easily be taped over and go unnoticed. Thoughts?

Personally I don't worry about cloth or rubber bracelets. Technically they should come off but it's not presenting a risk to anyone. Metal jewellery must come off.

Personally I don't worry about cloth or rubber bracelets. Technically they should come off but it's not presenting a risk to anyone. Metal jewellery must come off.
I've seen an opponent's find slide under a cloth bracelet before. Someone told me that they've seen it too and the girl's finger nail got ripped off.

I’m dubious the Laws ever said jewelry could be covered. But if you go back to the 70s, jewelry wasn’t specifically mentioned in the Laws at all—though there is a long section about requirements regarding studs or bars on the bottom of boots. I looked at 08, about when I restarted reffing, and Law 4 noted the prohibited on jewelry, and the interpretations and guidelines expressly said jewelry could not be taped up to keep on.

As other have noted, there has been various levels of ignoring violations in different places.

At pro levels players often wear tape or cloth bands over where their wedding ring would be for symbolic reasons. Harry Kane being a case in question.

I'd suggest that there is far more chance of a cloth/rubber bracelet causing an injury to a player than say, a wedding ring ...

I'd suggest that there is far more chance of a cloth/rubber bracelet causing an injury to a player than say, a wedding ring ...

I suspect you're wrong about that. The problem with wearing a ring is that if you break your finger when wearing it you have a very small window in which to cut the ring off before you lose the finger. There are also cases of people catching the ring on something and it yanking the finger off.

How could a rubber bracelet cause an injury?

I don't know about that, I've been caught in the face by a wedding ring as a player and it split open my eyebrow, cue dramatic blood and a very apologetic player

I don't know about that, I've been caught in the face by a wedding ring as a player and it split open my eyebrow, cue dramatic blood and a very apologetic player
That must have been some ring. I only have a thin wedding band and I dont remove it for anything. Its very tight fitting and has been on my finger for 37 years. The ages of kids I ref have never had any jewellery anyhow.

That must have been some ring. I only have a thin wedding band and I dont remove it for anything. Its very tight fitting and has been on my finger for 37 years. The ages of kids I ref have never had any jewellery anyhow.
You should be removing it for refereeing. You can't credibly tell players they can't wear a ring if you are wearing one yourself.

The risk isn't just to opponents but also to themselves. There was a very graphic photo from where a player had jumped at a corner and their ring had caught on the one of the hooks on the crossbar and ripped their finger off. Metal hooks on goal frames are now banned, but I remember another one about a ring getting caught on a fence at the side of the pitch.

You should be removing it for refereeing. You can't credibly tell players they can't wear a ring if you are wearing one yourself
It's more than that, the laws of the game say the only jewellery allowed for a referee is a watch!
The risk isn't just to opponents but also to themselves. There was a very graphic photo from where a player had jumped at a corner and their ring had caught on the one of the hooks on the crossbar and ripped their finger off. Metal hooks on goal frames are now banned, but I remember another one about a ring getting caught on a fence at the side of the pitch.
And degloved fingers 🤢

I’m dubious the Laws ever said jewelry could be covered. But if you go back to the 70s, jewelry wasn’t specifically mentioned in the Laws at all—though there is a long section about requirements regarding studs or bars on the bottom of boots. I looked at 08, about when I restarted reffing, and Law 4 noted the prohibited on jewelry, and the interpretations and guidelines expressly said jewelry could not be taped up to keep on.

As other have noted, there has been various levels of ignoring violations in different places.
You're right - the laws have never said jewellery could be covered or taped up. The first time they specified jewellery could not be worn was in 1997 and the first time they said it could not be taped up was in 2004.

Screenshot_2023_1102_220432.png
Screenshot_2023_1102_221413.png
However you'll notice that the laws in 2004 didn't say that all jewellery was dangerous. That wasn't specified till 2006.
Screenshot_2023_1102_222055.png

Reactions: one
You're right - the laws have never said jewellery could be covered or taped up. The first time they specified jewellery could not be worn was in 1997 and the first time they said it could not be taped up was in 2004.

View attachment 6945
View attachment 6946
However you'll notice that the laws in 2004 didn't say that all jewellery was dangerous. That wasn't specified till 2006.
View attachment 6947
Was going to say, it was definitely there for 2005-06, because I remember this specific instance: (can't find a video quickly unfortunately)

Perth Glory were sponsored by an insurance company at the time (QBE Insurance), so he got a nice advertising gig out of it.

You should be removing it for refereeing. You can't credibly tell players they can't wear a ring if you are wearing one yourself.

Not for me. I am not doing any promotions or trying to impress anybody so my ring stays. I only do low level grassroots so I am not concerned about it at all. Any dangly stuff on people would be off as kids dont need it on a football pitch regardless.

Back