A&H

Jewellery - when did it change?

Here is the guidance document

Attachments

• guidance-for-referees-relating-to-a-patka-or-turban.docx
    19.9 KB · Views: 13
The Referee Store
Here is the guidance document

That document only deals with headgear though. It doesn't cover the scenario of someone wanting to tape a religious necklace* to their chest.

The document on the link below (also from the Essex FA, interestingly enough) provides a much more comprehensive treatment of the issues surrounding religious jewellery and religion in the game in general.

Belief in the game

It also doesn't specifically cover the matter of taping a religious necklace.* However it does have the following advice.

Jewellery, religious or not, is strictly speaking not allowed on the football pitch. Referees though are encouraged to be flexible and pragmatic where possible and allow religious jewellery such as the Sikh kara (steel bangle) or Hindu rakhi (small cotton bracelet) if, and only if the referee deems it safe. Safety will always take priority in these situations. One pragmatic solution could be to wear a small kara or rakhi underneath a wrist sweatband.

*I have to say I'm not familiar with any religion that requires wearing a necklace. Bracelets (as mentioned above) yes, but necklaces? Difficult to say definitively that that's not a thing but I think that if as you say, your going to be encountering this player repeatedly, I'd be inclined to ask them (in a very polite and roundabout way, of course) which religion it is that requires this. I'd be interested in the answer.

But in the end, as the document linked to above says, it's still up to you as the referee to decide, based on safety considerations, whether you're going to allow it, even if you accept it as being a religious requirement.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm not familiar with any religion that requires wearing a necklace.
OK, I stand corrected (to a large extent). The article on the link below describes a necklace which some Muslims wear. However it's still not a requirement like the Sikh and Hindu jewellery and the article makes it sound more like a personal choice than anything else.

Ayatul Kursi jewellery: Why the religious amulet with Quranic verse has special significance with millennial fans

It's also the case (and I know this from having lived in Muslim countries for a number of years) that the permissibility of wearing necklaces or any form of jewellery for men is very much a matter for debate.

While there is no explicit prohibition in Islamic teachings that forbids men from wearing necklaces (other than gold ones) Islam encourages modesty in appearance and it is often recommended for men to avoid wearing jewellery as it may draw excessive attention.

Last edited:
That document only deals with headgear though. It doesn't cover the scenario of someone wanting to tape a religious necklace* to their chest.

The document on the link below (also from the Essex FA, interestingly enough) provides a much more comprehensive treatment of the issues surrounding religious jewellery and religion in the game in general.

Belief in the game

It also doesn't specifically cover the matter of taping a religious necklace.* However it does have the following advice.

*I have to say I'm not familiar with any religion that requires wearing a necklace. Bracelets (as mentioned above) yes, but necklaces? Difficult to say definitively that that's not a thing but I think that if as you say, your going to be encountering this player repeatedly, I'd be inclined to ask them (in a very polite and roundabout way, of course) which religion it is that requires this. I'd be interested in the answer.

But in the end, as the document linked to above says, it's still up to you as the referee to decide, based on safety considerations, whether you're going to allow it, even if you accept it as being a religious requirement.
Helps when you upload the right document lol

It says this which is less specific to head covering:

(1) Safety
Referees should ensure that players do not wear
articles which may constitute a danger to other
players or to themselves. Referees should set a
good example by removing their own rings and
jewellery.
Referees, however, should make allowances for
articles of faith (e.g. a player of the Sikh religion
wearing a Kara in a match), provided that they
are not dangerous and that adequate covering be
applied as protection.

If not dangerous, general guide is to allow and if unsure check with the CFA after who will clarify either either with club of not allowed and ref comms if it is.

Attachments

• 22037-eng-football-belief-in-the-game-final-aw (1).pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
Back