A&H

Fitness test

Now we are a good way through these, I was wondering whether anyone had any observations on process or outcomes ?

My experience this year of the L3 test was that the invigilators were stricter than last year on false starts / coasting over the line after the whistle, but not in a nit picking way. I found it fair and sensible and no-one 'got away with it' this year, which I have seen before. I did wonder whether they had received instructions to tighten up a bit.

I heard that the revised L4 test isn't resulting in many failures and perhaps fewer than the FA hoped, but the latter bit is unsubstantiated hearsay and is the sort of thing someone may have made up and then just been repeated through the grapevine !

A&H International
Now we are a good way through these, I was wondering whether anyone had any observations on process or outcomes ?

My experience this year of the L3 test was that the invigilators were stricter than last year on false starts / coasting over the line after the whistle, but not in a nit picking way. I found it fair and sensible and no-one 'got away with it' this year, which I have seen before. I did wonder whether they had received instructions to tighten up a bit.

I heard that the revised L4 test isn't resulting in many failures and perhaps fewer than the FA hoped, but the latter bit is unsubstantiated hearsay and is the sort of thing someone may have made up and then just been repeated through the grapevine !
The sprints were a bit pointless (at my session).... the running track was damp so they allowed us a 'run up'..... 6m or 7m at least
So I'm guessing the strictness may vary greatly

Last edited:
I went to an athletics track recently with some friends to train, one of whom is quite a bit older than me and just passed his L4 fitness test. He said he noticed that they were quite strict this year so I'm presuming there is some variation with different invigilators.

The sprints were a bit pointless (at my session).... the running track was damp so they allowed us a 'run up'..... 6m or 7m at least
A couple of blokes 'who could barely run' passed the sprints
So I'm guessing the strictness may vary greatly
That is ridiculous, as I failed my L4 sprints yesterday. All very official 1.5m cone to the electronic start gate. My two times were 6.4 seconds, so missed out by 0.2. Will give it another go in a couple of weeks, but will knock reffing on the head if I don't get through the fitness tests, especially if its not consistent around the country

From what I’m hearing around my county is that the failures tend to be the new sprints rather than the actual run. The gates are catching a few out who were on the borderline using a stopwatch last year

That is ridiculous, as I failed my L4 sprints yesterday. All very official 1.5m cone to the electronic start gate. My two times were 6.4 seconds, so missed out by 0.2. Will give it another go in a couple of weeks, but will knock reffing on the head if I don't get through the fitness tests, especially if its not consistent around the country
Argh. Start properly. Correct stance. Use your arms. Don’t slow down at the end. You can do it!

All passed, first time I've done the test so wasn't too sure what to expect.

My confession. I was reading the thread and someone had written you will be running 3km and I was like wtf the test I got said 4 runs... I reread the sheet I had and my thumb was over the 0, so it was 40, so I started panicking, also had a friendly yesterday.

We had a few fails. All but 1 was injury related. My theory: they sort of just get straight into things. They give you time to do your own warmup but most used it as an opportunity to chat. And going into the sprints cold is not good.

But test from my point of view was fine. The walk makes things a lot easier.

Damp wtf.
Naughty and not fair on colleagues around the country.
Absolutely agree. I had no complaints as it was an electronic gate, so being .0.2 seconds out was harsh, but I trusted the process. Have another go on Thursday, but this time on 3G rather than a running track, so not sure if this will be easier, as I did feel I didn#t have much grip on the track with normal running trainers.

Absolutely agree. I had no complaints as it was an electronic gate, so being .0.2 seconds out was harsh, but I trusted the process. Have another go on Thursday, but this time on 3G rather than a running track, so not sure if this will be easier, as I did feel I didn#t have much grip on the track with normal running trainers.
3G is slower than running track in my experience. All sprints should be timed on a track. If you can do it on 3G fair play to you, but I found my 3G times to be around 0.3-0.4 secs slower than my track times.

3G is slower than running track in my experience. All sprints should be timed on a track. If you can do it on 3G fair play to you, but I found my 3G times to be around 0.3-0.4 secs slower than my track times.
Agreed. My 3G sprint times are 0.2-0.3 slower. A running coach told me that the 3G will slow you down.

Agreed. My 3G sprint times are 0.2-0.3 slower. A running coach told me that the 3G will slow you down.
Thanks for your advice. I have cancelled the 3G one and booked a track one in mid-August. Might do one in astros, as I feel the grip would help, as my normal running shoes didn't seem to. Maybe I am looking for excuses, but I do need some 'marginal gains'

Thanks for your advice. I have cancelled the 3G one and booked a track one in mid-August. Might do one in astros, as I feel the grip would help, as my normal running shoes didn't seem to. Maybe I am looking for excuses, but I do need some 'marginal gains'
Work on your technique, that’s the key. It may take some time but It will improve your speed. Good luck on your next test.

Back