A&H

Checking studs and jewelry pre-match (first game)

When observing I am expecting to see at least a cursory equipment check. If that doesn't happen and it then causes a problem in the game I am certainly going to be asking why it didn't happen. For example, and it has happened a few times, the referee notices well after kick off that a player has an ear ring, how has he not spotted that before?

The Referee Store
Always did my jewellery check during the game and it always came off, no excuses. The Studs thing was a bit silly IMO, players dont wear running spikes and if you think i'm running my hands over 50+ dog sh1t laden boots you can think again. It usually happened in semi finals and finals but in all my career Ive never seen ANY referee do it around my parts for normal games. Sorry if that upsets the Weetabix Kids but i'm saying how it was.
I never ever saw an injury caused by a defective boot, so 500+ games x 90 minutes without incident is a pretty safe operation to allow!! I had much much bigger things to worry about than that believe me!!
There are risks you can manage and there are risks you can't.

A player decides to launch them self into an opponent's knee? Not much you can do.

A player does a perfectly legit tackle and shreds an opponents leg because they have a damaged stud? That could perhaps have been avoided - I see no reason why you wouldn't want to avoid that, especially for the sake of a quick glance at boots while you're doing a jewellery check anyway? And why would you run your hands over them?

When observing I am expecting to see at least a cursory equipment check. If that doesn't happen and it then causes a problem in the game I am certainly going to be asking why it didn't happen. For example, and it has happened a few times, the referee notices well after kick off that a player has an ear ring, how has he not spotted that before?

Earlier on this season I saw a player putting ear rings on 5 mins before kick off. When I asked him why he said "I took them off but it's rough as **** here and I don't want them knicked"

There are risks you can manage and there are risks you can't.

A player decides to launch them self into an opponent's knee? Not much you can do.

A player does a perfectly legit tackle and shreds an opponents leg because they have a damaged stud? That could perhaps have been avoided - I see no reason why you wouldn't want to avoid that, especially for the sake of a quick glance at boots while you're doing a jewellery check anyway? And why would you run your hands over them?

GS - I've seen plenty on opposition players launch tackles at ALL parts of his opponents anatomy, But, I've never seen an injury caused by a faulty stud!! Its an absolute misnomer that it is even statistically an injury issue. Not knocking anyone that does it or saying you are incorrect, you're absolutely right to do it as per the LOTG, that said, it NEVER got done around here!! I also thing the ring thing is a bit petty too, that said i've an acquaintance that lost a finger putting the goal nets up 20 years ago wearing a ring. Apart from that, if it could come off it did, if it couldn't then we taped it. Some of these lads were built for comfort not for their athletic prowess!! Again Never seen a ring caused injury either in a game!!

I always check boots, jewelry and pads. I thought at grass roots level a plain wedding rings is ok as long as it is taped. Thats what we were told on the course. The check is considered normal in Suffolk and I have never had a coach or player moan about it. It is just part of the pre game routine.

I thought at grass roots level a plain wedding rings is ok as long as it is taped

That was OK a long time ago, but not any more. The law is clear on this ...

All items of jewellery (necklaces, rings, bracelets, earrings, leather bands, rubber bands, etc.) are forbidden and must be removed. Using tape to cover jewellery is not permitted.

All items of jewellery (necklaces, rings, bracelets, earrings, leather bands, rubber bands, etc.) are forbidden and must be removed. Using tape to cover jewellery is not permitted.
Its not permitted to receive gifts from foreign FA's but dem rules are flexible i've heard!!

Do sweat bands fall into the category of bracelets or are they considered OK?

I thought at grass roots level a plain wedding rings is ok as long as it is taped.

This was changed a long time ago following a number of players losing fingers as a result of wearing taped rings. One broke a finger and they couldn't get the ring off quickly enough. If you google 'ring football lost finger' there are numerous examples.

I never, ever allow rings. I do get complaints about it, and players claim last week's ref, etc.,

How long ago was your course @Tino Best ?

This was changed a long time ago following a number of players losing fingers as a result of wearing taped rings. One broke a finger and they couldn't get the ring off quickly enough. If you google 'ring football lost finger' there are numerous examples.

I never, ever allow rings. I do get complaints about it, and players claim last week's ref, etc.,

How long ago was your course @Tino Best ?

That problem with rings happens far too often for me. Telling players to take rings off with their response being 'but I can't actually take it off. Other refs let me wear it'.

Tough

And, how many refs take off wedding rings beforehand? If the players can't wear something, nor can the officials. That's the tune i got out of my RDO

And, how many refs take off wedding rings beforehand? If the players can't wear something, nor can the officials. That's the tune i got out of my RDO
They all should as it would set the right impression, however the stipulation under LOTG is 'Players equipment' so I guess it doesn't technically apply. (Could be wrong though)

They all should as it would set the right impression, however the stipulation under LOTG is 'Players equipment' so I guess it doesn't technically apply. (Could be wrong though)

The 17/18 laws of the game specifically states:

“Referees and other match officials are prohibited from wearing jewellery or any other electronic equipment”

The 17/18 laws of the game specifically states:

“Referees and other match officials are prohibited from wearing jewellery or any other electronic equipment”

Well, there we go then! Definitely doesn't help matters if referees turn up wearing wedding rings in that case

Quite. I never referee without my guide dog.

You jest, but I have encountered issues with referees applying the letter of the law too strictly in this instance. (Electronic equipment, not the bloody dog. :p)

I once saw a player's prosthetic arm fly off during a challenge. I had no idea he was wearing one. Scared the bejeesus out of me.

Back