A&H

Checking studs and jewelry pre-match (first game)

A slice of history: Injuries timeline

July 1996 Adidas release the first boots with bladed studs – known as a Traxion soleplate.

Feb 2001 Sunderland youth team goalkeeper Craig Turns needs 33 stitches after a bladed boot slices his face open.

Jan 2005 Sir Alex Ferguson bans bladed boots at Manchester United after a series of injuries.

Apr 2005 Annan Athletic goalkeeper Charlie McCulloch comes close to losing an eye when his head is sliced open. He needs 16 stitches and is scarred for life.

Oct 2008 Accrington Stanley call for blades to be banned after losing both Phil Edwards and Ian Dunbavin to gaping leg wounds which needed stitches.

Aug 2012 Wayne Rooney needs 10 stitches after being caught by Fulham's Hugo Rodallega.

Aug 2013 Rooney again needs stitches after his head is sliced open by Phil Jones' boot in training.

So why haven't FIFA Banned this type of boots then???

The Referee Store
A slice of history: Injuries timeline

July 1996 Adidas release the first boots with bladed studs – known as a Traxion soleplate.

Feb 2001 Sunderland youth team goalkeeper Craig Turns needs 33 stitches after a bladed boot slices his face open.

Jan 2005 Sir Alex Ferguson bans bladed boots at Manchester United after a series of injuries.

Apr 2005 Annan Athletic goalkeeper Charlie McCulloch comes close to losing an eye when his head is sliced open. He needs 16 stitches and is scarred for life.

Oct 2008 Accrington Stanley call for blades to be banned after losing both Phil Edwards and Ian Dunbavin to gaping leg wounds which needed stitches.

Aug 2012 Wayne Rooney needs 10 stitches after being caught by Fulham's Hugo Rodallega.

Aug 2013 Rooney again needs stitches after his head is sliced open by Phil Jones' boot in training.

So why haven't FIFA Banned this type of boots then???

Has there been similar figured from studded boots? I have a couple of broken bones from tackles with studded boots and I'm not sure the impact would've been the same.

Some nasty injuries. Did these happen as a result of the referee not checking studs? I'd bet that any soft ground boots could inflict these wounds when combined with SFP. Is there any precedent for a certain type of boot being proscribed? If there was, I'd know what we're looking for. Can anyone share experiences of discovering studs which were clearly dangerous? What am i looking for that the manufacturers are not aware of?

Sad to see an injury like that but any boot could do that in the wrong situation. I’m not a fan of blades studs but if they are that bad then they should ban them and they haven’t!

Actually no. Because you have checked and you deemed them to be suitable, you could have been sued. Either way you cant win here. If you are taking responsibilty for someones boots being safe, and they are not, then its indeed your responsibilty.
Apparently not. I was informed by the FA that having carried out an inspection I could not be held liable, even if the boots were later found to be faulty, because they had been tested and were considered safe. The boots were brand new - the player had bought them the day before and we had played less than 20 minutes, so when I checked them they were in totally new condition.
After the incident I would not allow any player to play in my games wearing the same boots, because I had seen what they could do when new, never mind when damaged. My county FA supported me. However, the FA contacted me and my CFA to say that this was unlawful because the manufacturer had the paperwork to say they were safe so I could not say otherwise even though I believed they were dangerous.
As long as you carry out an inspection you will be covered in the event of an injury - as long as you actually do something about anything unsafe you find, obviously! - even if a player is subsequently injured, because no one can know when the damage was caused so they cannot prove that it was before the game so should have been rectified. If you don’t check then you cannot prove it was not there before the game, so you may be held liable.

Apparently not. I was informed by the FA that having carried out an inspection I could not be held liable, even if the boots were later found to be faulty, because they had been tested and were considered safe. The boots were brand new - the player had bought them the day before and we had played less than 20 minutes, so when I checked them they were in totally new condition.
After the incident I would not allow any player to play in my games wearing the same boots, because I had seen what they could do when new, never mind when damaged. My county FA supported me. However, the FA contacted me and my CFA to say that this was unlawful because the manufacturer had the paperwork to say they were safe so I could not say otherwise even though I believed they were dangerous.
As long as you carry out an inspection you will be covered in the event of an injury - as long as you actually do something about anything unsafe you find, obviously! - even if a player is subsequently injured, because no one can know when the damage was caused so they cannot prove that it was before the game so should have been rectified. If you don’t check then you cannot prove it was not there before the game, so you may be held liable.
What are the stats on referees been held accountable for this or are you just surmising on what you think would happen pulling the County FA line?? Any actual facts please??

What are the stats on referees been held accountable for this or are you just surmising on what you think would happen pulling the County FA line?? Any actual facts please??
There aren't any SF. Most referees are not rich so won't get sued, the offending player, their club or the CFA may...........there are notable exceptions of course such as yourself...............

Back