A&H

Checking studs and jewelry pre-match (first game)

The Referee Store
And, how many refs take off wedding rings beforehand? If the players can't wear something, nor can the officials. That's the tune i got out of my RDO

:stop: me. I had to make a dash back to the changing room after kit inspections just last night as I had forgotten to take my wedding band off.

But that makes an east sell anyway as if a ayer argues.. hey I have to take mine off too - just get on s with it. Its also covered in law that the ref cannot wear jewellery.

"Referees and other match officials are prohibited from wearing jewellery or
any other electronic equipment."

You are required under Law 4 to check players equipment.....before KO and before a sub comes on.

Not optional. Mandatory.

Have marked several promotional candidates down for failing to do this.

If you can’t be bothered to do the job properly......do us all a favour and hang up the whistle.
As usual harsh......... but true!

You are required under Law 4 to check players equipment.....before KO and before a sub comes on.

Not optional. Mandatory.

Have marked several promotional candidates down for failing to do this.

If you can’t be bothered to do the job properly......do us all a favour and hang up the whistle.

Can’t really argue with that.

It’s also a good chance to get some extra exercise in if your competition allows rolling subs.

Not optional. Mandatory.
I don't know if elsewhere in the world is the same, but we have a sliding amount of inspections and local laws for equipment at grassroots.
We only have formal pre-match equipment inspections in the top 4 divisions, national leagues and elite youth leagues.
Only elite youth and the top tiers have the full (matching coloured underwear) equipment laws from the global LotG.
Equipment checks in lower leagues/grassroots are on an "as noticed by the official(s)" basis.
It's all written into every league's local rulebook.

Yes, I have started a game and noticed after 5 mins that 7 players on one team had a lot of jewellery on...

It works here. 5m people. I was AR this week for a really good 5th tier game (by the 5th tier it's regional). On the sliding scale, this means times of KMIs/subs not recorded, except RCs, no formal equipment check pre-match, no formal equipment check during sub procedure... heart-stopping for some I know!

Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread, but what are the exact rules regarding moulded-in studs versus metal studs on football boots?

Last edited:
I don't know if elsewhere in the world is the same, but we have a sliding amount of inspections and local laws for equipment at grassroots.
We only have formal pre-match equipment inspections in the top 4 divisions, national leagues and elite youth leagues.
Only elite youth and the top tiers have the full (matching coloured underwear) equipment laws from the global LotG.
Equipment checks in lower leagues/grassroots are on an "as noticed by the official(s)" basis.
It's all written into every league's local rulebook.

Yes, I have started a game and noticed after 5 mins that 7 players on one team had a lot of jewellery on...

It works here. 5m people. I was AR this week for a really good 5th tier game (by the 5th tier it's regional). On the sliding scale, this means times of KMIs/subs not recorded, except RCs, no formal equipment check pre-match, no formal equipment check during sub procedure... heart-stopping for some I know!

League rules should not be overriding the LOTG.....

League rules should not be overriding the LOTG.....
I don't know the politics but I think it's the grassroots clause... I imagine there are 100+ more FAs around the world that have local guidelines for grassroots that override... let's say supplement... the LotG...

Reactions: one
I don't know the politics but I think it's the grassroots clause... I imagine there are 100+ more FAs around the world that have local guidelines for grassroots that override... let's say supplement... the LotG...
But there are only a very few specific spreadsheet the LOTG allow this........this matter is not one of them!
Have you ever seen the result of a finger amputation caused by catching a ring on something?

But there are only a very few specific spreadsheet the LOTG allow this........this matter is not one of them!
Have you ever seen the result of a finger amputation caused by catching a ring on something?
I am aware of this... I am trying to suggest the possible explanation...

Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread, but what are the exact rules regarding moulded-in studs versus metal studs on football boots?
the LOTG don't even care enough to mention them.
As long as they're not dangerous, they're fine. Dangerous = sharp edges from damage.

Can’t really argue with that.

It’s also a good chance to get some extra exercise in if your competition allows rolling subs.
I wouldn't want to see a referee running to halfway everytime there's a sub in rolling subs. Just wasting everybody's time.

I'm not sure what the procedure is in your area or county but I know that where I officiate the players expect the boot check. I also find that when you contact the manager the day before the match if you run through what you are roughly going to do (I'll arrive 30 mins before kick. After 15 mins I will do an inspection. Afterwards I will meet the the club officials and brief them. Two minutes before kick off I will do the handshake and then the coin toss. At the same time as the coin toss I will brief the captains and then start the game accordingly.) It tends to work well especially if that's what you say to the manager before the day as it shows your organisation and professionalization. It also implies that you are experienced and you know what you are doing. I'm not sure if its the right thing to do but its worked well for me.

Nothing in the good book. However, some grounds do not allow metal studs. The stadium next door to me, for example has a ban on them as they'll damage the Astroturf there.

the LOTG don't even care enough to mention them.
As long as they're not dangerous, they're fine. Dangerous = sharp edges from damage.

I wouldn't want to see a referee running to halfway everytime there's a sub in rolling subs. Just wasting everybody's time.
I can promise you that I've been slated for failing to do exactly that by an assessment in my 7-6 year. Fortunately, going 5-4 you don't tend to be assessed on leagues that do rolling subs, so you can either put the effort in 6 times a match, or not bother if it's going to be more than that.

I can promise you that I've been slated for failing to do exactly that by an assessment in my 7-6 year. Fortunately, going 5-4 you don't tend to be assessed on leagues that do rolling subs, so you can either put the effort in 6 times a match, or not bother if it's going to be more than that.
Even tho you'd have more chance of finding a jackpot winning lottery ticket en-route to the side of the pitch than you would finding anything amiss with the cr4p clad studs on arrival. Such talk is just a promotion deterrent to me as i struggle with patently pointless officious piddling about

Even tho you'd have more chance of finding a jackpot winning lottery ticket en-route to the side of the pitch than you would finding anything amiss with the cr4p clad studs on arrival. Such talk is just a promotion deterrent to me as i struggle with patently pointless officious piddling about

You mean doing the job properly?

Back