A&H

What would you do about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryD

What would you do about this scenario:
87th min 8-1 to the away team. No notable issues all game. All of a sudden a player on the winning team goes in 2 footed at knee height. However, they miss the ball and the player by a considerable distance.

What would you do?

The Referee Store
If they made an attempt to tackle the player then it is still a red card for a dangerous tackle.
If they weren't attempting to tackle anyone and they just randomly jump in the air with two feet then possibly a booking simply for acting like a two year old

Let the advantage go, caution at next stop
If not, IDFK for "plays in a dangerous manner" and caution as well

IMO you can't give a straight red as it can't be a "serious foul" since there is no contact, unless you judge it's not an attempt to play the ball but a violent conduct

You need to provide a lot more information around the attempted "tackle"

Just a scenario given to me by a mate that apparently happened when he played a recent game - apparently he sprinted in, did a jump/slide for the ball with his feet at the height of the opposition players knee and was about half a second behind the player when he got there.

Okay, with the information given; If he has lunged in, out of control, both feet off the ground attempting a challenge which endangered the safety of the attacker regardless of whether the attacker actually managed to get out of the way, stop the game, red card for SFP. First minute, last minute, 1-1 or 100-0, none of those bits of information really make any difference.

Of course, not being able to see it - I can appreciate it's open to different opinions and interpretations.

Have had a couple of these types of challenges......dismissed in both cases....the fact he missed the player etc is pure dumb luck.....

Once both feet leave the floor, especially at speed, the player no longer has control over what happens next, they are an unguided missile! It's dangerous, and should be sanctioned as SFP every time.

If the player has such a lack of control to make a 'challenge' like that, the resulting contact or not is also out of control.

Referees job is to apply the LOTG, not apply the LOTG unless one team is winning by a large margin, it's a nothing game, it's been a good game so far, or it's the first or last minute.

Red card, the rest is irrelevant.

What is the offence you write on the game sheet after that red ?

Serious foul play.

Indeed. You can say in your report that he made no contact with the opponent but that you deemed the offence serious foul play for the following reasons: that it was knee high, two-footed, and in your opinion out of control with excessive force.

As a FIFA referee, I would say such an incident will be sanctioned as playing dangerously. As a referee you are supposed to award an indirect free kick since there was no contact made.

As a FIFA referee, I would say such an incident will be sanctioned as playing dangerously. As a referee you are supposed to award an indirect free kick since there was no contact made.

Correct. Although I'd love to send off for this, it is a caution for playing in a dangerous manner.

Reactions: MI
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back