A&H

What would you do about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will always struggle to send-off for a"tackle" that just doesn't make any contact with an opponent whatsoever.

YHTBT, but this sounds like a yellow card and a major telling off.

The Referee Store
@Padfoot

" A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred inside the offender’s penalty area). "

So LOTG say : Serious Foul Play can only restart with direct free kick
Therefore, how can you award red for a serious foul play if the commited foul cannot award a DFK ?

In this situation, it is not SFP. LOTG clearly explains what 'Playing in a dangerous manner means' FOR SFP and Dangeorus play, please visit http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf, READ PAGE 62-66. See pictures shpwing contact for a foul to be sanctioned as SFP. Thanks.

Show me, in the LOTG, where it states that 'contact is mandatory' for SFP?

Once we've cleared that hurdle, I'll tackle the rest of that article.
In this situation, it is not SFP. LOTG clearly explains what 'Playing in a dangerous manner means' FOR SFP and Dangeorus play, please visit http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf, READ PAGE 62-66. See pictures shpwing contact for a foul to be sanctioned as SFP. Thanks.

Thanks for this, I stand corrected. So a missed bad challenge as described is always an IDFK but you can caution if sufficiently serious.
YES you can caution if in your opinion, the action is made with obvious risk of causing an injury
if

Last edited by a moderator:
There may be pictures showing contact but it does not say in writing that there needs to be contact
"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play"
"Using excessive force means that the players has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent"
You do not need to make contact to be "in danger of injuring your opponent"

@Padfoot

" A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred inside the offender’s penalty area). "

So LOTG say : Serious Foul Play can only restart with direct free kick
Therefore, how can you award red for a serious foul play if the commited foul cannot award a DFK ?

1. Tackling which endangers the safety of an opponent

A tackle which is violent with little or no attempt to play the ball and which endangers the safety of an opponent is prohibited and must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

From 'Advice on the application of the Laws of the Game' from FA Learning.

There may be pictures showing contact but it does not say in writing that there needs to be contact
"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play"
"Using excessive force means that the players has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent"
You do not need to make contact to be "in danger of injuring your opponent"
How can you injure someone without making contact? If you hit the player with your boots, it is considered an extension of the leg, if you hit with a stick in your hands, it is considered an extension of the hand. So tell me, do players have guns in the field?

YES you can caution if in your opinion, the action is made with obvious risk of causing an injury
if

Suggest you have a look at page 64......

It doesn't say injure your opponent it says IN DANGER of injuring your opponent. If you go in for a horror challenge and miss the player by millimeters you have not made contact but you have put them in danger and if either of you were a second slower or quicker then it would of seriously injured them

It doesn't say injure your opponent it says IN DANGER of injuring your opponent. If you go in for a horror challenge and miss the player by millimeters you have not made contact but you have put them in danger and if either of you were a second slower or quicker then it would of seriously injured them
Now playing dangerously comes in there. It is mandatory that there is contact for serious foul play to be committed. If there is no contact at all, the offence should be “playing in a dangerous manner.” In some cases, the difference between the two is a matter of centimetres. Playing in a dangerous manner can easily result in serious foul play if physical contact is made. That’s because the manner of challenging for the ball was dangerous and risky in the first place.

Please show me where in the LOTG it says it is mandatory that there is contact for serious foul play.

From 'Advice on the application of the Laws of the Game' from FA Learning.

Your quote isn't clear enough and keep the debate open while mine is

I repeat :

FIFA LOTG say : Red for SFP = mandatory DFK
No contact = IDFK
Therefore, please show me how sending off a player for SFP and restart with an IDFK can be an application of the LOTG

Please show me where in the LOTG it says it is mandatory that there is contact for serious foul play.
I have lots of videos from FIFA clearly showing incidents that occur in match situations. I wish you had watched them all to understand what serious foul play and playing in a dangerous manner means. Always everything is at the discretion of the referee.

There are quite a few non contact offences which result in a direct freekick (attempts to...).

"Tackles an opponent" is an offence which results in a direct free kick. What does that actually mean, it's not defined. Doesn't mention contact?

There are quite a few non contact offences which result in a direct freekick (attempts to...).

"Tackles an opponent" is an offence which results in a direct free kick. What does that actually mean, it's not defined. Doesn't mention contact?

But it would be "attempts to tackle" for no contact. IMO tackle implies contact with the ball or player but it is so down to personal opinion.

How on earth are we supposed to know what to do especially when being assessed. There is a good chance you put 100 assessors in a room and there would be a split on opinion too. God 'elp us!

And what is the difference between a tackle and a kick? :) not always clear cut.

The problem is as you said herts, there are no definitions and lots of opinions.

It doesn't says "Tackles or attempt to tackles an opponent" like for the kick, enough for me to make a difference :p

And what is the difference between a tackle and a kick? :) not always clear cut.

The problem is as you said herts, there are no definitions and lots of opinions.
That is why the LOTG always says "In the opinion of the referee".

It doesn't says "Tackles or attempt to tackles an opponent" like for the kick, enough for me to make a difference :p
Tackling an opponent requires contact. Tackling an opponent clearly means "making contact with the opponent before touching the
ball". It is clearly DEFINED in the LOTG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back