A&H

What would you do about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend you to download the LOTG well. FIFA makes amendments to the laws of the game every year. No amendments were made in LAW 12 from 2011. Check this out and tell me whether I am giving you info which is outdated. I think we should debate by giving facts.ALL CIRCULARS ARE FROM FIFA. Thanks

If you look at the LOTG from 2007/8 then you will see that the definition for a foul when tackling is:
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following four offences:
tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball

Which spookily enough is the exact text in the pdf that you posted hence my comment on it being out of date as this is no longer part of the LOTG.
This was changed in 2008/9 to:
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• tackles an opponent

These are the facts.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If you look at the LOTG from 2007/8 then you will see that the definition for a foul when tackling is:
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following four offences:
tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball

Which spookily enough is the exact text in the pdf that you posted hence my comment on it being out of date as this is no longer part of the LOTG.
This was changed in 2008/9 to:
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• tackles an opponent

These are the facts.
The document on FIFA is an explanation on Law 12. Send email to any FIFA instructor and you will be get my answer. I don't believe it is exactly the same. Take a look and compare both. FIFA sends circulars to the federations to explain contentious issues in the LOTG. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the contact no contact debate

I'm almost 100% sure I'd send off for violent conduct after thinking about it.

How would you deem it to be a violent conduct mate?

For the simple reason the guys GOT to walk, you can't get away with that on a football pitch. And to my eyes if you go in at knee height (visualise how high this is, its not just two footed, its nasty and designed to hurt) you are only out to hurt the opponenent. This is acting in a violent manner hence violent conduct.

I wouldn't think it can be VC as opponent has the ball. I can see a justification for SFP though - jumps at an opponent with excessive force as I have previously mentioned.

For the simple reason the guys GOT to walk, you can't get away with that on a football pitch. And to my eyes if you go in at knee height (visualise how high this is, its not just two footed, its nasty and designed to hurt) you are only out to hurt the opponenent. This is acting in a violent manner hence violent conduct.
Remember what VC means "A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when NOT challenging for the ball" In the above incident, the player was challenging for the ball.

I wouldn't think it can be VC as opponent has the ball. I can see a justification for SFP though - jumps at an opponent with excessive force as I have previously mentioned.
It is not jumping at an opponent I think you can't jump at an opponent at knee high. May be it can be lunging at an opponent or tackling an opponent with excessive force which is SFP. It can also be dangerous play since no contact was made. This is my opinion. You are entitled to yours also. I can't understand why this topic is getting unnecessary attention.

The wording in both is exactly the same. Even has the same group of four. It is a direct quote from the 07/08 LOTG. You are being given out of date info I'm afraid.
I have access to very recent documents directly from FIFA through my FIFA Instructor. We attended a FIFA course in Dubai and in Germany. So everything I quote is from the FIFA Instructors. I am not bragging but making to try and understand that we have up to date info from FIFA. Thanks.

Bloody hell - decent debate.

I think I'll just sit back and keep watching this one.

I have access to very recent documents directly from FIFA through my FIFA Instructor. We attended a FIFA course in Dubai and in Germany. So everything I quote is from the FIFA Instructors. I am not bragging but making to try and understand that we have up to date info from FIFA. Thanks.
I don't doubt you, but as you can see from the LOTG 2007/08, the information you are being given has been deliberately removed from the LOTG. Why do you think it has been removed from the laws but not from your training material?

I don't doubt you, but as you can see from the LOTG 2007/08, the information you are being given has been deliberately removed from the LOTG. Why do you think it has been removed from the laws but not from your training material?
It was removed and now it is used as additional information just to give more meaning to some ambiguous wordings in the LOTG

There are many things in the LOTG that new referees won't understand easily. For example, LOTG 2014/15 LAW 16 PAGE 51:
If, after the ball is in play, the kicker deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:
• a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the
place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)
a penalty kick is awarded if the infringement occurred inside the kicker’s

penalty area
So what FIFA does is, it sends additional info to clarify this through its instructors. If you have the "Interactive Laws of the game" on your PC, you will find almost everything that needs explanation through videos. Thanks.

Remember what VC means "A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when NOT challenging for the ball" In the above incident, the player was challenging for the ball.

You could argue he is not challenging for the ball if he does this action. That's my point

You could argue he is not challenging for the ball if he does this action. That's my point
Challenging for the ball = Ball, Defender and opponent in the same place
NOT Challenging for the ball = When the ball is played in other part of the field. or during dead ball situations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back