A&H

What would you do about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Even better : Page 26 " Playing in a dangerous manner is defined as any action that, while tring to play the ball, threatens injury to someone"
That settles the "tackle without contact" issue

Sorry to burst your respective bubbles......but that is not the LOTG.......so once again......where?

You both keep stating that it is clear 'in the laws of the game' yet are unable to provide anything to substantiate it.......

This is from the LOTG

@Padfoot

" A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred inside the offender’s penalty area). "

So LOTG say : Serious Foul Play can only restart with direct free kick
Therefore, how can you award red for a serious foul play if the commited foul cannot award a DFK ?

Still waiting for a reply

And may i add that those are very big words from someone who replied to an actual quote of the LOTG (you can check) with a quote of "'Advice on the application of the Laws of the Game' from FA Learning."

Even better : Page 26 " Playing in a dangerous manner is defined as any action that, while tring to play the ball, threatens injury to someone"
That settles the "tackle without contact" issue
When a tackle is made, there is always a contact. Tackling is defined as an act where the player "makes contact" with the opponent before touching the ball. I don't know whether 'tackling without contact" makes sense.

Sorry to burst your respective bubbles......but that is not the LOTG.......so once again......where?

You both keep stating that it is clear 'in the laws of the game' yet are unable to provide anything to substantiate it.......
That document is from FIFA website. It is clearly LAW 12. Did you ever attend a course on refereeing? LOTG comprises of two parts. The first part contains the 17 Laws while the second part is Additional Instructions and Guidelines for the Referee.

When a tackle is made, there is always a contact. Tackling is defined as an act where the player "makes contact" with the opponent before touching the ball. I don't know whether 'tackling without contact" makes sense.

Really...is it? So it's not a foul if you make contact with your opponent before the ball?

To coin a phrase.....I'm out.

Last edited:

Surely "an act where the player makes contact with the opponent before touching the ball" is a foul.
I would hope MOST tackles didn't involve contact with the player

Your quote isn't clear enough and keep the debate open while mine is

I repeat :

FIFA LOTG say : Red for SFP = mandatory DFK
No contact = IDFK
Therefore, please show me how sending off a player for SFP and restart with an IDFK can be an application of the LOTG

It isn't. Who is saying it is?

Tackling means to try and win the ball from an opponent. On page 6 of the document it is clear that the foul comes when contact made with opponent first. Tackling in itself is clearly not unlawful which is what your comment above implies.

As for the actual scenario it's a got to be there, Law 18 moment.

This is an issue of the wording of the LOTG. Debate is good, but @Jacko in all due respect to you your comment about level 7 referees is going a bit far. Dont like seeing personal attacks on here so just thought I'd put that out there. In the real instance the referee (apparently) gave the player a bollocking with no card. Correct in law? Nope. Did it work? Yes. Noone was hurt and no more of those challenges were put in for the remainder of the game - no need for these arguments lads. We're all refs and colleagues at the end of the day!

Definitive law answer: page 121 of the 13/14 book of the LOTG regarding playing in a dangerous manner. 'Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the players'. In this scenario, there was not. In the disciplinary sanctions section underneath 'If the action is made with obvious risk of injury, the referee should caution the player'.

Def not definitive.
"Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact" is not the same as "A challenge with no physical contact must be considered dangerous play."
I've yet to see anything that says SFP must involve conact and will be amazed if someone produces it.
A player getting away with trying to break your leg because you jump out of the way?!?

I've yet to see anything that says SFP must involve conact and will be amazed if someone produces it.

-->

@Padfoot

" A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred inside the offender’s penalty area). "

So LOTG say : Serious Foul Play can only restart with direct free kick
Therefore, how can you award red for a serious foul play if the commited foul cannot award a DFK ?

I repeat :

FIFA LOTG say : Red for SFP = mandatory DFK
No contact = IDFK
Therefore, please show me how sending off a player for SFP and restart with an IDFK can be an application of the LOTG

You're welcome

Therefore this is a real grey area which FIFA need to address in a future LOTG book.

-->

You're welcome

Is English your second language?
You state dangerous play involves no contact - CORRECT
You state dangerous play is an IDFK - CORRECT
You state SFP is a DFK - CORRECT
You think that any challenge without contact MUST be dangerous play - INCORRECT

Attempting to trip an opponent: no contact = DIRECT FREE KICK
Attempting to kick an opponent: no contact = DIRECT FREE KICK
Attempting to strike an opponent: no contact = DIRECT FREE KICK

Class dismissed

Status