The Ref Stop

What did he get right……

The Ref Stop
If I am not mistaken, RC for VC for keeper and YC for AAA for opponent in purple and DFK/PK depending on where the offence occurred. It can’t be dropped ball as shown and even if it was, the referee has applied it incorrectly and ball should be released from referee’s hands

What did he get correct vs wrong? 🙂

Just about everything....
  • Restart cannot be a goalkeeper fly-kicking the ball back into play. It has to be either a free-kick to the defenders for the Purple forward's first offence or a penalty for the goalkeeper challenge.
  • Never blew for the purple challenge, so must have decided no offence. Should be a RC for the goalkeeper - you have the kick out or the push
If I was observing, this incident would be a 6.0 - two major development points / failure to apply law correctly. His season died on this..... "trying to be nice"

Unfortunately the referee looks likely very green and/or unskilled. Possibly shaken by earlier incidents. What’s the level here: NI cup 14-15th tier, dog&duck, CARs? I’ve seen this on the socials weeks ago. Surely way overkill to be watching this in public.

Keeper invited the challenge.

But probably smart refereeing penalising the attacker for challenging the keeper with the ball.

I'd go no caution defensive DFK and you should be dismissing the keeper.

If it is a rough game you might be able to sell a caution as it is a little handbaggy.

i believe my marks ranged from 71 to 77 through levels 6, 5 and 4 :D
5 to 4
I was 69 (had a mare) through to 76
Averaged 72.6
Back then, scores varied widely from one County to another. There was some daft numbers floating around outside of @Russell Jones Domain
Hopefully, more consistent now

I've averaged 72.65 over 3 seasons as a L4 with one score in particular killing me (71.575, I upset the Observer by telling him he was wrong on a point of fact! The debrief went steeply downhill when I realized he hadn't taken my interjection well. Although it subsequently turns out he kills everyone's season. I've seen the scores he's given L3's I've assisted and they've been brutal. He's a name that everyone knows. He and one other in my area are a serious problem. Thankfully, I've not encountered the second murderer)

Last edited:
5 to 4
Averaged 72.6
Back then, scores varied widely from one County to another. There was some daft numbers floating around outside of @Russell Jones Domain

I've averaged 72.65 over 3 seasons as a L4 with one score in particular killing me (71.575, I upset the Observer by telling him he was wrong on a point of fact! Although it subsequently turns out he kills everyone's season)

the 71 and 77 came in my 5-4 promotion season

had one 77 at L4 but unfortunately had a 70 the same season (still incredibly bitter about the observer)

had one 77 at L4 but unfortunately had a 70 the same season (still incredibly bitter about the observer)
Yeh, those scores don't exist now
You'd be very hard pressed to score below 71 (although it does happen. A new L4 I was out with last week got a 69.9 in his first observation which illustrates the point of reaching L4 too quickly) and 73.5 is top end (although 74.0 is like Pluto, an outlier)

Reactions: es1
I've had one this year where the game went well. Not a whole lot happened but plenty of positives. The observer went standard expected down the middle for the lot. Even boxes where he had written 3 or 4 good things. He mentioned 1 bit of feedback about a possible caution for a challenge but said managing it was fine, still marked it standard expected.

Score came out 70.25. Quite a bit below the needed 71. I now have the same guy observing again.

Just a touch frustrating. As I know on how that specific game went other observers would have given me something to work with.

I've had one this year where the game went well. Not a whole lot happened but plenty of positives. The observer went standard expected down the middle for the lot. Even boxes where he had written 3 or 4 good things. He mentioned 1 bit of feedback about a possible caution for a challenge but said managing it was fine, still marked it standard expected.

Score came out 70.25. Quite a bit below the needed 71. I now have the same guy observing again.

Just a touch frustrating. As I know on how that specific game went other observers would have given me something to work with.
The 5-4 form should be done very similar/the same as step 5/6 and above.

A comment has to be placed in at least one competency in each section. Where standard expected is selected there does not need to be any commentary unless there is minor advice. This should be given where there is no impact on the game but an opportunity to prevent a development (i.e in another situation where there could have been impact) or where there is opportunity to gain reward.

If there are good comments, with no advice, then this should have been rewarded, else no commentary should have been added.

(Exception to this are match changing situations and discipline where it is expected to confirm the details of any or the absence of any)

More chance of a L3 getting a 74 (especially up North) than a L4 for some reason.....
Generally the games are more challenging and secondly it is not beyond reason that you would expect level 3 referees to be scoring higher than level 4 hence the attainment of a higher level.

That said as I understand it the marks somewhat tighten up once get to level 2.

5 to 4
Averaged 72.6

I've averaged 72.65 over 3 seasons as a L4 with one score in particular killing me (71.575, I upset the Observer by telling him he was wrong on a point of fact! The debrief went steeply downhill when I realized he hadn't taken my interjection well. Although it subsequently turns out he kills everyone's season. I've seen the scores he's given L3's I've assisted and they've been brutal. He's a name that everyone knows. He and one other in my area are a serious problem. Thankfully, I've not encountered the second murderer)
That’s a very decent average in today’s market!

Yeh, those scores don't exist now
You'd be very hard pressed to score below 71 (although it does happen. A new L4 I was out with last week got a 69.9 in his first observation which illustrates the point of reaching L4 too quickly) and 73.5 is top end (although 74.0 is like Pluto, an outlier)
Which is how it should be. Many years ago when Neale Barry was Head of Referees for the FA, he was exasperated by the average and the high awards of marks and it was his view that the normal game/average should be 70 (not unexpected) and that top end should be 73, with some exceptions above the rule. Slowly but surely and since his departure this has what has now happened. However, the outcome of this is that there are very many Referees squeezed into a certain area, where perhaps only half a mark separates many and therefore those who want to get on are appealing for anything that perhaps could give them a slight edge.

Generally the games are more challenging and secondly it is not beyond reason that you would expect level 3 referees to be scoring higher than level 4 hence the attainment of a higher level.

That said as I understand it the marks somewhat tighten up once get to level 2.
Though not always the case James because the expectation expected of a L3 is higher than a L4. So something that may be given as above expected at L4 may only be expected at L3. Having said that a good performance at L3 is stil a good performance, which any Observer needs to be aware of & reflect/reward as best he/she can.

Back