A&H

WC Final - Argentina vs France

The Referee Store
Think AT will get Croatia V Morocco.

Not sure on the final. I would say Makkellie but that would be two Europeans.

Do we know when they will be announced?

Whilst politics and sport should never mix, appointing an Englishman to referee Argentina & France, especially in a final could be potentially uncomfortable for both sides and FIFA. :confused:

Final's going to be Marciniak with Elfath as the 4th.

As I mentioned before, Elfath would have been the center on the France-Morocco game instead of Ramos if he wasn't born in Morocco. This is his "consolation prize" for his team, who really have been excellent in the World Cup. I'm guessing you'll see a lot of the Americans in the support positions on that game. I'm guessing either Parker or Atkins will be the reserve AR with the other one along with Nesbitt on the VAR team. I also will not be shocked to see Drew Fischer, who is one of our two best VARs in North America (and by extension, the world since we actually do VAR as well as anyone in the world in MLS), have a key VAR role if not be the lead VAR for the final.

Collina is a big fan of Marciniak. There is a reason he hasn't been used past the round of 16 yet when Marciniak has pretty much been lights out all year in both the Champions League and World Cup.

Last edited:
So a referee who has only had one game, back on the 2nd day of the tournament, gets the 3rd / 4th place game. Pure politics and completely undeserved, obvious not his and his teams fault, but it must be totally demoralising for other referees who have done more games and performed better.

So a referee who has only had one game, back on the 2nd day of the tournament, gets the 3rd / 4th place game. Pure politics and completely undeserved, obvious not his and his teams fault, but it must be totally demoralising for other referees who have done more games and performed better.
Part of me agrees with that, and part of me wonders how much the top guys think the 3-4 game is a plum assignment. It gives the host country ref a second game without giving him the opportunity to blow up a game that matters. Shrug.

Part of me agrees with that, and part of me wonders how much the top guys think the 3-4 game is a plum assignment. It gives the host country ref a second game without giving him the opportunity to blow up a game that matters. Shrug.

I'd bet most of the guys would rather fly home today than have the 3/4 match.

Makkelie must be absolutely gutted to still be there, Taylor too. Although can't blame FIFA for Marchiniak and Elfath, both have been great. Luxury position to be in, when three/four officials could be appointed. Turpin still best of the tournament for me, but he has to bulk up FIFA-style and France are going to have to lose M'bappe in the near future if he's ever going to be near a final.

Back