A&H

Wanna be ref

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee
Hi Guys,
not actually a ref yet but hopefully okay to post here. Definitely something I want to get in to however.
26 and from Scotland so would be SFA stuff.
Reffed 2 9 a side friendlies the other week.
Just wanted to say hi and welcome an advice given. How to get foot in door etc.
looking forward to getting to know people.
Cheers

The Referee Store
Give it a go! It’s not easy. Don’t expect everything to fall into place in the first ten, twenty games. It takes time and you need matches to experience the weird and wonderful - and not so wonderful - things that happen.

Advice: expect the unexpected, and ask to games as AR from the start as it’s the fastest way to learn:)

Give it a go! It’s not easy. Don’t expect everything to fall into place in the first ten, twenty games. It takes time and you need matches to experience the weird and wonderful - and not so wonderful - things that happen.

Advice: expect the unexpected, and ask to games as AR from the start as it’s the fastest way to learn:)

Thanks mate. Already got a few things, equipment wise that I will post later and see if I am missing anything.
Is there a place I should ask to be an AR?

Thanks mate. Already got a few things, equipment wise that I will post later and see if I am missing anything.
Is there a place I should ask to be an AR?

You need to get yourself on a referee training class, once you pass the course you will then be able to officiate games. Your local association will then be able to help you get in touch with leagues etc

Where in Scotland are you from? Your local referees association will run a few courses a year. Costs £35 or so and that includes your first years membership.

More details here: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/referees/become-a-referee/

I recently did the one by Glasgow Referees and it was really good. Have also been to the recent regional training day too, which again was really helpful.
Paisley. Already put my details down for the renfrewshire course.

Paisley. Already put my details down for the renfrewshire course.
Ideal. Paisley, Johnston and District Youth League are looking for new refs, so you should be able to get plenty games once you start. The courses are very much geared towards getting you out and refereeing and will point you towards suitable leagues etc. Good luck, you'll love it!

Ideal. Paisley, Johnston and District Youth League are looking for new refs, so you should be able to get plenty games once you start. The courses are very much geared towards getting you out and refereeing and will point you towards suitable leagues etc. Good luck, you'll love it!
Send me out just now. Ill do it for free

Impressed by your keenness to get started!!! There’s a bit of a ref shortage in the west at the moment lots of games to be had. I’d wait until you’ve completed the course though, takes care of insurance and safeguarding type issues!

Impressed by your keenness to get started!!! There’s a bit of a ref shortage in the west at the moment lots of games to be had. I’d wait until you’ve completed the course though, takes care of insurance and safeguarding type issues!
Definitely looking forward to it. Lots of laws to learn.

Congrats mate.
Sort of in the same boat as you, but 28 in Australia.
Was supposed to have my Level 4 (to do junior full field games) course in March, but finally got it done last week. Just waiting for my gear to come in the post, and we still have to do our practical part when games go back underway

Congrats mate.
Sort of in the same boat as you, but 28 in Australia.
Was supposed to have my Level 4 (to do junior full field games) course in March, but finally got it done last week. Just waiting for my gear to come in the post, and we still have to do our practical part when games go back underway

congrats to you too. There is no practical part here, simply on you go

Have received an application form for a league for next season whenever that is, it asks what ages you’d like to referee. 13s to 19s. Would you guys have any advice or just whatever I personally feel comfortable doing?

Have received an application form for a league for next season whenever that is, it asks what ages you’d like to referee. 13s to 19s. Would you guys have any advice or just whatever I personally feel comfortable doing?

you've answered your own question! if in doubt though, start lower and work your way up. i'm sure you'd be able to change age group mid season if you found it 'too easy'

Younger age groups... potential for issues with parents if you don't look after the 'little timmys'
Parents less likely to haul themselves outa bed for the big kids, but potential for some testosterone instead

Back