The Ref Stop

United spurs.

But most KMI decisions are subjective………….. What is right or wrong is difficult, it is often opinion which is why it is best advice to leave to on-field decision unless C&O.
The way I like to think of it is the 'most' right decision.

Today's that's a yellow card 100%. It's the decision football wants.

The Ref Stop
BBC Football

Halfway down, Fernandez interview, 30 seconds in.

If what Bruno says is true that CK said he had seen clear stud contact. Would this have been communicated to the VAR team and if so, should a onfield review have been initiated?

It seemed that united were after Maddison, maybe to disrupt the play.

Bruno slipping, he could have just pulled out of the tackle. He didn't. He wanted to make contact to stop Maddison

He hit him high. It's his own fault. Can't really complain. Stupid decision to make contact like that.

I hope you follow through this viewpoint with 5 red cards in every game you ref 👍

I was at the game yesterday (neutral, no skin in the game for me so no fan nonsense coming!) and didn't have a great angle of the contact for the SFP incident. AR2 was flagging very agitatedly when it happened and I thought Red by looking at AR2's action.

What did strike me however before the SO was how Fernandes contested verbally every single decision that Kavanagh made (who I thought on the whole looked quick, and had a good game) and there was a couple of times I thought Kavanagh was going to publicly rebuke.

Watching it back, it's not a C&O error. Can see why they've gone SFP

Bruno has admitted it was a yellow, but def not a red. Therefore, he meant to foul him. If you're going to leave your boot high (even if you slip) you're always going to risk a straight red. Not a C&O error, so he should just accept the decision and move on

It seemed that united were after Maddison, maybe to disrupt the play.

Bruno slipping, he could have just pulled out of the tackle. He didn't. He wanted to make contact to stop Maddison

He hit him high. It's his own fault. Can't really complain. Stupid decision to make contact like that.
This is exactly my stance. Once he slips, he's never getting the ball and there's a conscious decision to still make sure he kicks the opponent.

On a forum where I've been the minority arguing against the idea that any SPA that is a kick and has no chance of getting the ball should be upgraded to red, I'm really surprised to see a majority here arguing that this decision to kick an opponent when he had no chance of getting the ball should have been downgraded.

He's unlucky that the slip makes the kick go high, but it does and it ends up comfortably ticking enough boxes as a result.

To attempt to add some credibility to all the times I back the decisions of both referees and VARs as correct, I will say that in my opinion, I can absolutely see why it looked like a red in real time, but I believe VAR should have intervened and recommended a review to reduce it to a caution. I also thought that Bruno Fernandes spoke surprisingly well after the game.

To attempt to add some credibility to all the times I back the decisions of both referees and VARs as correct, I will say that in my opinion, I can absolutely see why it looked like a red in real time, but I believe VAR should have intervened and recommended a review to reduce it to a caution. I also thought that Bruno Fernandes spoke surprisingly well after the game.
was it clearly and obviously an error, then ?

Back