The Ref Stop

U8's non competitive

The Ref Stop
"Refereeing" as a parent/coach volunteer in 5v5 and 7v7 is what got me into refereeing. I did all the free online modules I could and took it seriously and it was both a great way to start and also ensured the game was controlled. I agree those games don't need a fully qualified referee, but having someone with a knowledge of the LOTG and the rule of mini-soccer is definitely valuable.

"Refereeing" as a parent/coach volunteer in 5v5 and 7v7 is what got me into refereeing. I did all the free online modules I could and took it seriously and it was both a great way to start and also ensured the game was controlled. I agree those games don't need a fully qualified referee, but having someone with a knowledge of the LOTG and the rule of mini-soccer is definitely valuable.
One issue we face is that leagues in adjacent areas apply different sets of rules, each within the allowed rules.
Each league therefore needs to offer league-specific training, rather than a national or CFA perspective.

I personally won’t do below u11s but wouldn’t say others shouldn’t as is being implied on certain posts here I would also argue these games are meaningful for the future of the sport.
They are, but to develop the referee force we need referees to be learning and gaining skills, whereas at Under-8's the players are just there to have fun playing football with their mates.
I watched two U-8 matches on Saturday morning last week . . . 1 (accidental) trip was penalised in 60 minutes, and apart from that it only needed someone to indicate the method of restart.

I will say (or write) this, I think if there is a choice between refereeing an under 8 or being an AR in a youth game then yes we should be giving referees, particularly new ones a chance on the line. It aids fitness also because of the running involved, as well as watching how the man in the middle controls the game and learning from that. Allowing the more "mature" refs a gig in the less paced environments should be an option if they and the teams so wish.

Having done my first U13 match after many u15s I can clearly see the difference. Yes, the players have not yet mastered their skills, but there is evidently a lot more enjoyment of the game, less confrontation (at least on the pitch) and the wee high pitch voices saying "Good save keeper" to their opposition goalkeeper is something I haven't heard anywhere else. The simple fact is that there is 'joy' and sporting behaviour that a coach hasn't yet drummed out of them in the younger matches Who doesn't want to be a part of that?

I really don't like your tone. Please read comment #14. "some" games do
My "tone" may have been somewhat offish for which I apologise. :(
Irrespective of the contents of post #14 however, it's clear to most on here that 6 and 7 year olds absolutely don't need a qualified referee to "officiate" their football. Thuggish/obnoxious behaviour by parents is an entirely different matter and nowt to do with football.

My "tone" may have been somewhat offish for which I apologise. :(
Irrespective of the contents of post #14 however, it's clear to most on here that 6 and 7 year olds absolutely don't need a qualified referee to "officiate" their football. Thuggish/obnoxious behaviour by parents is an entirely different matter and nowt to do with football.
I disagree also as I believe that is a referees choice

Most of the case supporting the involvement in referees in these types of games seems to be around parent and spectator management. If this is so, then I am not really sure involving a qualified referee is the right answer. If U8s can’t have a kick around without the pressure to perform and without the usual parental harassment of referees that occurs in older age groups then the cultural problems in our game are much worse than I realised. Whilst I feel great sympathy for those referees who might feel it necessary to be involved in these games from a player safety perspective and totally support those parent referees who might just like to be involved from time to time in their kid’s games, I don’t think it should be a usual practice or a stepping stone for referee development. This should be the domain of game leaders in the form of parents or other responsible persons (including older junior players) who can have a go with the support of their clubs. Apart from all the other reasons stated above for not involving qualified referees in these games, doesn’t it just send the message that the game is serious when it should be fun and doesn’t it just create a massive problem for next week’s game leader who is just a mum or dad and doesn’t have any of the skills and experience of a qualified referee? It is mind boggling to me.

Most of the case supporting the involvement in referees in these types of games seems to be around parent and spectator management. If this is so, then I am not really sure involving a qualified referee is the right answer. If U8s can’t have a kick around without the pressure to perform and without the usual parental harassment of referees that occurs in older age groups then the cultural problems in our game are much worse than I realised. Whilst I feel great sympathy for those referees who might feel it necessary to be involved in these games from a player safety perspective and totally support those parent referees who might just like to be involved from time to time in their kid’s games, I don’t think it should be a usual practice or a stepping stone for referee development. This should be the domain of game leaders in the form of parents or other responsible persons (including older junior players) who can have a go with the support of their clubs. Apart from all the other reasons stated above for not involving qualified referees in these games, doesn’t it just send the message that the game is serious when it should be fun and doesn’t it just create a massive problem for next week’s game leader who is just a mum or dad and doesn’t have any of the skills and experience of a qualified referee? It is mind boggling to me.
Not even to learn, practise hand signals etc?

I started out in mini soccer. For me it helped give me the basics of signalling, whistle tones and just general management of refereeing a football match. I genuinely believe that going straight into an age group with the addition of offsides would have been a bit of a struggle.

I completely understand why people think higher age groups need to be prioritised for a qualified referee, but I don't agree that you get no development whatsoever from mini soccer

Last edited:
Back