A&H

Running the line Sunday

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
I find that really strange/surprising MIB.

I'm guessing you weren't 'senior' in this case.

IF, and it sounds like a big if considering your attitude, you get to be a senior NAR, you'll find managing the benches will be added to your list of 'boring' duties.;)

Majority of my games this season have been as AR and it allows me to officiate on higher competitions than I would as a referee.

Womens PL, Womens FA Cup, Bostick U18s and Bostick U23s, FL Club Academy games are just some of the comps I've been on this season.

Did an U18 semi recently and have a Womens Capital Cup (Senior section) Final line next month.

I enjoy it all and yes just like when you are in the middle there are good and bad games, 'challenging' and 'easy' ones - but after 15 years never found it to be 'boring'.

The Referee Store
it’s a great way of learning yeah right, all I did was either agree in my head or disagree with decisions he gave I didn’t learn anything or take anything out of the experience, your stuck to one half of the pitch and a touchline like a dog on a lead, how anyone can enjoy it is beyond me, oh and your earning half the money!

Well, it's looking at the *why* of your agreement and disagreements that is a part of the learning process.

Why did you agree with the referee? Because he was right? Because your positioning and his positioning were aligned to agree on the decision making process?

Then why did you disagree with some of his decisions? Because your view was better than his? - These are cues to help you think about if the positions were reversed, where would you improve your positioning if you were in the middle, so that "AR" you would agree with the decision you're making from the middle's point of view?

There's also other stuff, game management in particular, that you should be able to pick up over time. I was selected to AR for a level 4 referee who took a liking to me early on in my career. He mentored me fantastically, and I got to watch his style of refereeing. I could tell you when he had a bad day, and when he was spot on.

His method of refereeing and mine clashed though, I felt he was too officious, he felt I was too 'weak'. We were both probably on the right track, but I was a hard-headed youth back then and didn't really pick up on the advice quick enough. I can see that now, alas I can't rewind time.

The other thing you'll see about game management is what not to do. I've been on the line when things kicked off, and a referee got chased around the pitch by a player he sent off. Of course, that was a serious incident. But examining it (I was more experienced than the centre that day), I could identify the flash points that the centre referee was not identifying that led to the boiling over that almost led to an assault.

AR's get a unique position in my view, because they often get time to 'soak' up the situation more than the man in the middle and reflect more. At least, I think that anyway. There's nothing better than to run the line with a great referee in the middle and see how he disarms situations with a deft touch, or word immediately - That is something I'm still amazed by today. And there's nothing better at learning what not to do, when you see a poor referee, or inexperienced one, or even a good referee having a bad day.

So, what would you have done differently from that referee? And why? And what makes you think that your differences would have made the game be officiated 'better'? Those are all the questions you're supposed to reflect on when you're out there.

The other benefit to being on the line, or even having actual linesmen is that you have two qualified people who can give you advice right there and then. My 'dressing room', when I'm in charge has a policy of open, honest feedback. I want my assistants to tell me if I've had a crap day and if I've ****ed up. And vice-versa. - Diplomatically, of course! I'm quite happy with my career on the line because, touch wood, I've only had one match out of many where the referee chastised me, and that was my very first match, where I admittedly was a headless chicken. And he switched from criticism to guidance once he realised it was my first line and the League may have erred in appointing me to that fixture. :p

As for money, irrelevant really.

My advice though is that if you're going to be a referee, as with anything you should never stop looking to learn. If you close your mind and say 'it's crap, boring, didn't enjoy it', fine, whatever. But then you're deliberately ignoring a lot of factors that can contribute to your growth and learning as a referee, and that's a shame. And it's not something that, maybe, an older gentleman should be thinking, that should be for the wet behind the ear's youngsters who may not know any better. :)

Iike I said I was keen had a good rapour with both Lino and referee, I concentrated for 90 mins, had a good chat after the game but didn’t enjoy it & didnt learn anything about refereeing, i learnt a lot about being an AR but nothing else.

My attitude stinks I get that but I’m not gonna lie & sugar coat it, it was awful and boring.

If that’s the way you fell then fair enough, but you’ll need to decide.

If you want to get promoted and/or officiate at higher levels then running the line is something you will have to get used to.

If you choose to turn down/ refuse appointments as an assistant then don’t be surprised if a lot of semi finals and finals pass you by, and possibly league games as well ( both my local men’s leagues have NARs for every game in their top divisions).

And if by turning these appointments down causes grief for your referee Secretary then also be prepared for the possibility of not getting any of the ‘good’ games.

I find that really strange/surprising MIB.

I'm guessing you weren't 'senior' in this case.

IF, and it sounds like a big if considering your attitude, you get to be a senior NAR, you'll find managing the benches will be added to your list of 'boring' duties.;)

Majority of my games this season have been as AR and it allows me to officiate on higher competitions than I would as a referee.

Womens PL, Womens FA Cup, Bostick U18s and Bostick U23s, FL Club Academy games are just some of the comps I've been on this season.

Did an U18 semi recently and have a Womens Capital Cup (Senior section) Final line next month.

I enjoy it all and yes just like when you are in the middle there are good and bad games, 'challenging' and 'easy' ones - but after 15 years never found it to be 'boring'.

Fair play Paul that’s some nice games you’ve been involved in mate, i totally get that it’s a way to be involved in a higher standard of football I just really didn’t enjoy it.

I never entered any promotion scheme and wasn’t a natural Lino. Did a couple of games but it wasn’t for me! My talents were for the tough blood and guts Neanderthal Derbies. Games involving proper footballers were a breeze.

Be careful Sheff you’ll be on the naughty step with me for not enjoying being an AR.

If that’s the way you fell then fair enough, but you’ll need to decide.

If you want to get promoted and/or officiate at higher levels then running the line is something you will have to get used to.

If you choose to turn down/ refuse appointments as an assistant then don’t be surprised if a lot of semi finals and finals pass you by, and possibly league games as well ( both my local men’s leagues have NARs for every game in their top divisions).

And if by turning these appointments down causes grief for your referee Secretary then also be prepared for the possibility of not getting any of the ‘good’ games.

Yep fully understand that I’ll prob have to do my fair share of AR especially this time of year, and I stated yesterday that it could cause me not to get future appointments if i piss off the league, I’ll be willing to do some here and there I guess but I’m not happy about it that’s for sure.

MIB. It's not the fact that you don't enjoy being an AR that's got you on the noughty step. It's your attitude towards being an AR and the fact you were contemplating declining it. TBH it sound like you are in it for one reason only, "you". You have to give back what you take out from the game and that could mean sometimes you may not enjoy it.

And just like you I didn't try to sugar coat that one.

Refereeing needed me, I didn’t need refereeing!
No point in entering a bent promotion scheme weighted for availability not ability!

It’s funny actually you should say that because speaking with a manager at the ground he said I’ll tell you now who will get appointed for the final, he said the league have there favourites.

I was also advised by a few people before doing the ref course that if you want to get anywhere in this game it’s not what you know it’s who you know.

It’s funny actually you should say that because speaking with a manager at the ground he said I’ll tell you now who will get appointed for the final, he said the league have there favourites.

I was also advised by a few people before doing the ref course that if you want to get anywhere in this game it’s not what you know it’s who you know.

Really, now you really sound like a troll.

The promotion scheme isn’t bent, and doesn’t favour availability over ability (providing you do the minimum number of games required).

Of course there is an element of “office politics” involved in refereeing. CFAs will favour the academy mafia when it comes to good appointments for county cup games etc.

League referee secretaries will favour particular referees. Ideally because they are the best and consistently put in good performances, however, of course some will favour their mates, or those who get good club marks etc.

Really, now you really sound like a troll.

The promotion scheme isn’t bent, and doesn’t favour availability over ability (providing you do the minimum number of games required).

Of course there is an element of “office politics” involved in refereeing. CFAs will favour the academy mafia when it comes to good appointments for county cup games etc.

League referee secretaries will favour particular referees. Ideally because they are the best and consistently put in good performances, however, of course some will favour their mates, or those who get good club marks etc.

You’ve just agreed with what I said but yet called me a Troll. Confusing

You’ve just said in your own words that there are favourites so hows that different to what I said!

You’ve just agreed with what I said but yet called me a Troll. Confusing

Because obvious troll is obvious.

You post things design d to get a rise out of people, then back track blaming it on the fact your finding it hard to switch from a player to a referee.

You posted on this thread that running the line get like a “step down” for someone whose not even done 10 games as a referee yet.

The Sheffield’s finest posts something and you latch onto that with a “manager” said this, and before my course some people said “that”.

You make a fair point there. However, the only way you get to know the right people is by getting involved, by taking appointments you're not happy about, by going to RA meetings, by going watching referees on other games when you don't have one yourself. When I started out in refereeing I didn't know the right people and didn't get semi finals and finals. With a bit of effort and enthusiasm refereeing has been good to me and I hope I have been good to the game.

Reactions: one
You make a fair point there. However, the only way you get to know the right people is by getting involved, by taking appointments you're not happy about, by going to RA meetings, by going watching referees on other games when you don't have one yourself. When I started out in refereeing I didn't know the right people and didn't get semi finals and finals. With a bit of effort and enthusiasm refereeing has been good to me and I hope I have been good to the game.

I agree u need to put yourself out there & that’s what I’ve done, I’m registered with 3 leagues I’ve refereed 10 games in around two months & im still not qualified yet, I’ve got to go back end of this month.

I’m 34 and still undecided how far I’ll go with this or how far I want to take it, I haven’t kicked a ball for nearly three months, I might miss playing sooner or later & shelve the refereeing for a bit.

You need hunger if your gonna try to climb the ladder at 34 I’m not 100% sure if I’ve got that hunger but hey early days yet early days.

Back