A&H

Running the line Sunday

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
I don’t see it as beneath me I just would prefer to ref & given the choice I wouldn’t run the line, probably being a footballer for 20yrs doesn’t help, I’ve akways seen a Lino as a little mans job & the forgotten man on the pitch the annoying little runt that ruins your goal celebration

As I said on another topic, you need to forget about the fact that you used to be a player. If you don't then I'm afraid your refereeing career won't be very successful and probably won't last very long. Harsh words may be, but if you turn up to the game with the kind of attitude you are showing on here it will be very clear to your two colleagues that you don't want to be there.

The Referee Store
As I said on another topic, you need to forget about the fact that you used to be a player. If you don't then I'm afraid your refereeing career won't be very successful and probably won't last very long. Harsh words may be, but if you turn up to the game with the kind of attitude you are showing on here it will be very clear to your two colleagues that you don't want to be there.

Yep it took me a few months to realise that as a ref you can't be the players' best mate, one of the biggest mistakes new referees make

Maybe your right maybe I’ll be hanging up my whistle before I really got going, it would kinda make sense I guess considering in my 34yrs on this planet I’ve never heard of an ex player becoming a referee.

There's one (that I know of) premier league ref who's an ex semi pro footballer

Interesting don’t u think, all the thousands of refs over the years & hundreds of thousands of players yet one has never made the switch

Interesting don’t u think, all the thousands of refs over the years & hundreds of thousands of players yet one has never made the switch

What switch? Almost every referee has played at some level. Has a player gone from playing at a professional level to become a world class referee? Probably not. Has a player gone from being a decent youth player who got injured and became a top level ref? It happens all the time.

I don’t see it as beneath me I just would prefer to ref & given the choice I wouldn’t run the line, probably being a footballer for 20yrs doesn’t help, I’ve akways seen a Lino as a little mans job & the forgotten man on the pitch the annoying little runt that ruins your goal celebration
I think that perception will change when you have to make a goal/no goal decision and flag it in the heat of a cup semi!

Think back to some of the prem or CKL games this season. What about those three City offside calls this week?

What switch? Almost every referee has played at some level. Has a player gone from playing at a professional level to become a world class referee? Probably not. Has a player gone from being a decent youth player who got injured and became a top level ref? It happens all the time.
Ex pro to ref was the switch I was thinking, I guess they’re rich beyond belief & it’s never crossed there mind & by the time they got to premier league standard of ref’n they’d be way to old anyway.

What I’m sort of saying is if I have this attitude towards linesman then maybe I should just go back to playing and forget the refereeing altogether

What level did you play at? There are plenty of supply and contib players who take up refereeing. The reason most don’t reach the top is that they are relatively late starters.

What level did you play at? There are plenty of supply and contib players who take up refereeing. The reason most don’t reach the top is that they are relatively late starters.

I was only at anysort of level upuntil 16, Ryman league & invited to train with Wimbledon for two weeks after being scouted nothing came of it, gave football up really after that abused my body and that was that.

Since then just been sat / sun park football, the legs aren’t what they used to be so thought let’s give refereeing a go should be a breeze

Hahaha what a numpty I was even dipping my toe in the refereeing world been nothing but a brain f*ck ever since

It isn't unheard of. Steve Baines played almost 450 games in the Football League and then spent 8 years as a Football League referee. John Salako became a referee, although didn't make it very far. Dick Jol, who refereed a Champion's League final, played in the top Dutch division. Jason Jarratt is another one, he became a referee when he stopped playing and he I believe made it to level 4, but then quit when he got stuck there as his aim was to referee in the PL and he realised he was never going to make it. Mark Halsey played semi-pro football and went on to have a very good career as a referee.

I played until I was in my 30s, although nowhere near at the same level as any of the aforementioned players. I still managed to then get 5 years at level 4 and 5 years at level 3 in though, and quit back to level 5 through my own choice when I was only 43 so I could have gone on for many more years after that (although my knees would have disagreed with that view ...!).

It isn't unheard of. Steve Baines played almost 450 games in the Football League and then spent 8 years as a Football League referee. John Salako became a referee, although didn't make it very far. Dick Jol, who refereed a Champion's League final, played in the top Dutch division. Jason Jarratt is another one, he became a referee when he stopped playing and he I believe made it to level 4, but then quit when he got stuck there as his aim was to referee in the PL and he realised he was never going to make it. Mark Halsey played semi-pro football and went on to have a very good career as a referee.

I played until I was in my 30s, although nowhere near at the same level as any of the aforementioned players. I still managed to then get 5 years at level 4 and 5 years at level 3 in though, and quit back to level 5 through my own choice when I was only 43 so I could have gone on for many more years after that (although my knees would have disagreed with that view ...!).

So, I still have a shot at the World Cup at some point? :D

You tell them idiots at the League MiB, you don’t want none of this liner 2nd class rubbish, Youre now a fully fledged experienced Man in Black, so you need to get yourself stuck in the middle, no questions.! :blackeye:

You tell them idiots at the League MiB, you don’t want none of this liner 2nd class rubbish, Youre now a fully fledged experienced Man in Black, so you need to get yourself stuck in the middle, no questions.! :blackeye:
I get the hint Sheff I get the hint, I need to suck it up & fall into line.

Maybe your right maybe I’ll be hanging up my whistle before I really got going, it would kinda make sense I guess considering in my 34yrs on this planet I’ve never heard of an ex player becoming a referee.

As a 34 year old who's just hung up boots and took up refereeing this season, I think I disagree!

I'm on AR duty today. It' my 5th AT assignmnt of the season. Two league matches and two semi finals. A spot of advice, listen to the ref, keep eye contact and watch the other AR when play is down near his area and you're in position, you will learn alot, far more than on the course if you've played all your life like me as you will know the basics.

Also, look up where to stand during situations like goal kicks, penalties, flag technique, what to record etc. There were several time in my first game where it dawned on me that I'm not sure where to position myself here so I did some research.

Finally, you will identify with working as a team and that's exactly what being an AR is about in my very short experience.

Enjoy

Enjoy it.I spend most of my time in the middle no support, working with CARs and yet working in a team of 3 is fun. You learn loads you make contacts and have a good gossip and can trash your " fav" players. After a long hard lonely season this time of year is full of refs working in 3s doing semis and finals wearing suits eating dodgy meals and getting silly medals!

As a 34 year old who's just hung up boots and took up refereeing this season, I think I disagree!

I'm on AR duty today. It' my 5th AT assignmnt of the season. Two league matches and two semi finals. A spot of advice, listen to the ref, keep eye contact and watch the other AR when play is down near his area and you're in position, you will learn alot, far more than on the course if you've played all your life like me as you will know the basics.

Also, look up where to stand during situations like goal kicks, penalties, flag technique, what to record etc. There were several time in my first game where it dawned on me that I'm not sure where to position myself here so I did some research.

Finally, you will identify with working as a team and that's exactly what being an AR is about in my very short experience.

Enjoy

Nice1 Ben now I’ve got over my hissy fit, I’m actually thinking sh*t maybe there is an element of responsibility & I need to take this seriously.

maybe there’s an element of responsibility?

There’s a huge element of responsibility, not only will you be looking after ball in and out of play, offside etc you’ll also be looking for anything that happens behind the refs back.

Certainly in Scotland, until they put you on a near definate path to progression, its 60/40 middles to line for a bit, as others have said, who better to learn off than the guys just above you. You then get to learn what you expect of your assistants as you progress too
A cup semi after half a dozen games is an honour. I would doubt someones ability (anybodys, not just yours) in such a short space of time, to be profficient at such an important match
Extra positive, you wont have to submit cautions, the referee will do it all, I suppose just for clarity you could ask the ref post match if they are indeed submitting their sanctions
I also dont think "ex footballer" is accurate, not just on a referee cv but if you use that on your work cv too. Again as other folk have pointed out, majority of refs will have played to some level at some point. I suppose because I did karaoke in 1999 i should put ex singer on my cv at some point.

Certainly in Scotland, until they put you on a near definate path to progression, its 60/40 middles to line for a bit, as others have said, who better to learn off than the guys just above you. You then get to learn what you expect of your assistants as you progress too
A cup semi after half a dozen games is an honour. I would doubt someones ability (anybodys, not just yours) in such a short space of time, to be profficient at such an important match
Extra positive, you wont have to submit cautions, the referee will do it all, I suppose just for clarity you could ask the ref post match if they are indeed submitting their sanctions
I also dont think "ex footballer" is accurate, not just on a referee cv but if you use that on your work cv too. Again as other folk have pointed out, majority of refs will have played to some level at some point. I suppose because I did karaoke in 1999 i should put ex singer on my cv at some point.

I'

Back