A&H

Running the line Sunday

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
How was today’s game @Men in Black

Didn’t happen mate I had no contact from the manager to confirm game or venue, no response from league secratery when I chased it up.

Same thing wed night was supposed to be ref’n no contact from manager no help from league when I chased it up, then I found out apparently the game went ahead but there was no referee, to say I was frustrated is an understatement.

The Sunday league never an issue contact and organisation spot on, Saturday nothing but hassle I’ve never had a week where I haven’t had to chase up everything & now not even getting a response.

The Referee Store
Wow 9 pages and I haven’t made a comment yet......

Well....what a poor attitude! Others have said everything that needs to be said.....

As for not confirming matches......if you have had no contact from managers etc....why didn’t you go to the venue anyway? If the game was cancelled you’ve had a wasted journey, which you would claim back from the league.....however if the game was on, you have provided the service you are expected to and got your match fee.
Unless I know for 100% the game is off, I’m turning up....because the thought of 2 teams standing around thinking I couldn’t be bothered to turn up etc etc doesn’t sit well with me.

Well....what a poor attitude! Others have said everything that needs to be said.....

As for not confirming matches......if you have had no contact from managers etc....why didn’t you go to the venue anyway? If the game was cancelled you’ve had a wasted journey, which you would claim back from the league.....however if the game was on, you have provided the service you are expected to and got your match fee.
Unless I know for 100% the game is off, I’m turning up....because the thought of 2 teams standing around thinking I couldn’t be bothered to turn up etc etc doesn’t sit well with me.
I didn’t know the venue! The venues have changed multiple times due to weather! I made contact all week trying to find out from anyone & everyone as to what is happening with both my games wed & sat, not a dicky bird from anyone.

You haven’t a clue what I’ve done to try and get to these games, the organisation and communication is terrible, it’s not just from me it’s a lot of people have said it.

I’m not spending my week Chasing teams and a league, then driving around possible pitches looking for the game F*CK THAT!

It works both ways, I work all week I’ve got a young daughter and a Mrs that I ditch at every opportunity to go and ref! If you think im leaving them all afternoon to go on a wild goose chase then your wrong!

One text one call one email from someone to say game on & venue is all I ask! I’ve chased every game so far & the last two I’ve had no response from anyone! Other leagues I referee in regular as clockwork this particular one a nightmare and it’s not just me saying it I’ve had managers phone me up 3hrs before kick off ranting about the league explaining that they’ve only just found out I’m refereeing, it’s a shambles!

I can kinda see where your coming from but you really need to decide if you want to play or referee! if you want to ,make a go of refereeing then AR is a major part of it, how can anyone thing they can pick and choose their games and then progress up thee ladder.
Running the line a level above the level you ref is one of the best ways to develop yourself as you pick the brains of those higher up and decide what works or doesn't work.
If I had an AR who turned up with the attitude of not wanting to be there as they only want the middles i'd be disappointed and i'd report it to the referee secretary not to put him with me again.

Shouldn't the league have rules on non-contact?

Mine does, it's supposed to be a 5 day notification. If nothing has been heard 48 hours prior to the match, a report must be submitted to the league, whereupon the offending team is (supposedly) fined, and they usually drop everything to tell you where the game is.

Non-communication sounds very weird though, I don't think I've ever had to deal with that situation beyond reporting it to the league.

Shouldn't the league have rules on non-contact?

Mine does, it's supposed to be a 5 day notification. If nothing has been heard 48 hours prior to the match, a report must be submitted to the league, whereupon the offending team is (supposedly) fined, and they usually drop everything to tell you where the game is.

Non-communication sounds very weird though, I don't think I've ever had to deal with that situation beyond reporting it to the league.

No communication from ref secretary, League secretary, or team manager.

No response to calls texts and email, granted the club contacts page looks dated so some of the contacts or numbers could have changed but I’m not sure what else I can do on my part, also many teams change pitches due to weather and availability so as the pathetic comment previously in the thread I’m not prepared to go on a wild goose chase all day. The league has a reputation for it anyway so it is what it is I guess, Shame because the games I have managed to ref have been enjoyable.

I can kinda see where your coming from but you really need to decide if you want to play or referee! if you want to ,make a go of refereeing then AR is a major part of it, how can anyone thing they can pick and choose their games and then progress up thee ladder.
Running the line a level above the level you ref is one of the best ways to develop yourself as you pick the brains of those higher up and decide what works or doesn't work.
If I had an AR who turned up with the attitude of not wanting to be there as they only want the middles i'd be disappointed and i'd report it to the referee secretary not to put him with me again.
But like I said Ryan I was very willing committed & enthusiastic on the day, it was only internally that I thought this is sh*t.

I wouldn’t referee for a league whose admin is that bad.

Bit my leagues have rules that are the home team must have confirmed the match a set number of days before the fixture.

For men it’s 5 full days before, and women 7 full days before.

I always check to see where the home teams registered ground is, and if I don’t get confirmation before the game (never happened) I’ll go there.

I normally agree with a lot of what you say. On this topic though I would like to throw in, some of the leagues i do have the instruction NOT to turn up if there has been on contact, on the basis of, if the team wont get in touch to tell you about the game in the first place, whats the chances of them getting in touch to say that its off.
I wont go to a game without confirmation, however, i do everything (beyond the call of duty) to get the confirmation, and keep my texts/emails whatever, on the off chance there is a game and am not there, I can then honestly say, well, I emailed the league, the home team, the away team and I got nothing back (or whoever it apt)

I normally agree with a lot of what you say. On this topic though I would like to throw in, some of the leagues i do have the instruction NOT to turn up if there has been on contact, on the basis of, if the team wont get in touch to tell you about the game in the first place, whats the chances of them getting in touch to say that its off.
I wont go to a game without confirmation, however, i do everything (beyond the call of duty) to get the confirmation, and keep my texts/emails whatever, on the off chance there is a game and am not there, I can then honestly say, well, I emailed the league, the home team, the away team and I got nothing back (or whoever it apt)

Agree, and when I was RefsSec I always told referees not to turn up if they hadn't received confirmation. That said, I also told the referees to contact me 5 days before the game if it hadn't happened. I'd then fine the club and issue a stark warning that it would get a lot worse if they didn't confirm immediately.

League rule 5(H) is SCoR is a godsend, failing to satisfactorily deal with the business of the league ... :)

Back