A&H

Quick indirect free kick in the box.

Murri O

Hopefully I won't get burnt to a crisp for posting this but here goes.

Deliberate backpass to GK from a defender. Blew it up and indicated where it was to be taken (on the 6 yard line where the GK picked it up) and that it was an IFK.

Whilst the opposition were scrambling and trying to set up a wall the player standing over the ball asked me if they had to wait. I said no and stepped away. (At no stage did any attacker ask for them to move away or could they have '10')

One touch from player 1, with player 2 blasting it into the net from virtually point blank range.

Signaled goal and moved back to half way amidst general hysteria and shouting 'what about the whistle ref'.

After the game I dragged out the 2017-2018 LOTG and in the 'guidelines for match officials' 'Additional information for Australian Match Officials'. under the 'managing defensive walls' it says.

The 'ceremonial free kick'.

'A free kick to the attacking side near the penalty area will generally be taken as a shot on goal. (my emphasis added) This results in what is often called a 'ceremonial free kick' etc etc....

Whilst this is the most common case referees should be prepared to allow the attacking side to take a quick free kick should they wish to do so.'

As the guidelines don't specifically state that indirect free kicks can be taken quickly and in the guidelines quoted above it also says 'NEAR' the penalty area and not 'IN' I wanted to check with what others thought.

My reasoning for allowing it was you could take an IFK anywhere else on the field quickly so why not in the box and besides which why should the defenders gain an advantage due to their error.

Edit: 'Additional information for Australian Match Officials' substituted for 'guidelines for match officials'..

Last edited:
The Referee Store
In my pre-match brief to captains I usually say something along the lines of "quick free kicks are fine in your own third and the middle third as long as the ball is stationery. If the ball is around the opposing are or I have spoken to, cautioned or sent someone off, we restart on the whistle."

This gets me out of your predicament.

The LOTG are generally poorly written. There's no reason to assume that a QFK is permitted outside the PA but not permitted inside. In fact, given that they don't clearly state they're not allowed inside, and there's nothing else in the laws we should be extending here, then logically they're permitted.

To put it another way - do the laws say you can't have a QFK in the PA? No
Is there anything else in the laws opposing a QFK that makes it logical to extend to inside the PA? No
(in fact, it's more sense to 'extend' the comment of 'near the PA' to include 'inside the PA').

So, clearly the QFK is permitted.

Now, you're going to have a few cowards who prioritise not being yelled at over actually doing the right thing try to argue that you shouldn't allow a QFK. That's clearly rubbish. Glad to see that you're in favour of the QFK.

The only question is at what point does the kick tend to become ceremonial 'by default'. For instance, the attackers are standing around, seeming to wait, making no indication they want to take it quickly, you can pretty much assume they're happy with ceremonial.

In your case, it sounds like it was fairly quick - you controlled the position of the ball, somebody asked if they could take it, you got out of there. Sounds like you've managed it well and that it was a good goal.

In my pre-match brief to captains I usually say something along the lines of "quick free kicks are fine in your own third and the middle third as long as the ball is stationery. If the ball is around the opposing are or I have spoken to, cautioned or sent someone off, we restart on the whistle."

Too bad that the LOTG quite clearly disagrees. Just do your job and let them take it quickly

the player standing over the ball asked me if they had to wait. I said no and stepped away.
I'll start by saying that I am (in the right circumstances) a big believer in and supporter of the right of an attacking side to take a quick free kick. It's within both the spirit and the letter of the laws, even near / in the penalty are.

However, I don't think I would have allowed one in the circumstances you describe above.. For me, as soon as I get to the point of the foul (around the box) it then becomes ceremonial. I'm inferring from the line in your OP that I've quoted, that was the case in this situation. If the attacking team go quick before I get there (which generally means VERY quick), from the right spot, then all good. If not, then thy're too late.

That said, your approach is completely supported in law so more fool the defensive side for not being more alert or even "standing on the ball" (though this is one of my pet hates!)

Reactions: one
I'm also generally on team quick free kick. But if you need to go to the spot of the offense to get the location correct (in this case directly on the goal area line), you've arguably gotten involved enough to make it ceremonial.

To be honest I don't think it's a predicament at all. Quick free kicks are fine by me anywhere on the field. (And I'm glad that they're also allowed in the box.) Good on any player smart enough to seize the moment.

I am surprised at the amount of referees that won't allow it simply because it's near the penalty area. Why exactly?

Not only is the attacking team disadvantaged from an infringement in a great position, apparently now we're going to let the defense come back into position (particularly bad if it the foul happened on a counterattack), set up a wall, let the GK organise them, discuss strategies about who's blocking and who's standing still, set up who's marking who etc etc.

I'm not sure why, or more importantly how, this is fair.

Against my better judgement I'm silly enough to still play and before the game (due to previously being told in other games 'no I can't take it quickly') I will tell the ref 'if there's a foul around the edge of the box I may like to take it quick'. The majority tell me no you can't. In an apparent contradiction of the guidelines for match officials. It's super frustrating.

If you ask me the very best time to take a free kick, or a corner if you have numbers in the box, is when the opposition isn't ready.

Last edited:
I'm also generally on team quick free kick. But if you need to go to the spot of the offense to get the location correct (in this case directly on the goal area line), you've arguably gotten involved enough to make it ceremonial.

Nah. How does pointing at where it's to be taken negate the opportunity to take it quickly. By that logic signalling a free kick anywhere on the field by pointing at the location of the foul stops any player from taking it quickly.

If they ask me for 10 then I tell them 'fine, wait for the whistle then' other than that fill your boots.

It’s allowed in law as stated but it’s a you had to be there. We don’t know if you have stood over the ball. If you hover close to the spot of the ball and wait without asking/telling then you are eroding match control.

The learning here is: keep away from the spot of the kick a few yards. From there, ask if the attacker wants the whistle. Don’t point at your whistle it raise it while asking. Don’t wait to be told.

If for any reason you deem it ceremonial then just march in to the spot and tell them.

I'm assuming the GK picked up the ball inside the goal area since you said the restart was on the goal area line. In this case, you need to get involved with the restart location since the laws require the ball to be exactly on the goal area line and not just near that location like every other free kick. I don't know how you communicated the restart location, but if you communicated that the restart had to be exactly at this spot, then I could argue that you've made it ceremonial. Or maybe I've misread your situation about how the restart location was decided/communicated.

If they ask me for 10 then I tell them 'fine, wait for the whistle then' other than that fill your boots.

This ! I'd say that was a fine piece of refereeing. The defenders should have realised this, but as usual they take out their frustrations in the man in black. Trust me, if it was the other way round they would have wanted to take it quickly and score !!!!

Sorry but thats totally incorrect. As Bloodbeard has already said
I accept you have paraphrased an answer, but, ball in right place? Dealing with injury? Sub? One persons final third is another persons middle.
Am going to be obtuse and say by your rational, a player can quickly shoot from the halfway line, as afterall, you have told thrm prematch thats ok
The priority here, number one, is, are YOU ready. Not the striker is he ready to take it quick,or is the wall or gk ready. Its you. And thats not just for any quick free kick, its for any free kick. So good advice would be to rethink your mentality on free kicks
Dont always need a whistle, its a, Signal from the referee,which when dealing with a quick one can be player asking "can i go ref", then you saying "yes"
There is your signal. Of course the LOTG do state when the whistle is required.

It’s allowed in law as stated but it’s a you had to be there. We don’t know if you have stood over the ball. If you hover close to the spot of the ball and wait without asking/telling then you are eroding match control.

The learning here is: keep away from the spot of the kick a few yards. From there, ask if the attacker wants the whistle. Don’t point at your whistle it raise it while asking. Don’t wait to be told.

If for any reason you deem it ceremonial then just march in to the spot and tell them.

For mine it's only ceremonial if they're asking for 10. (Or there's a sanction to be dished out, or an injured player etc.) I can't see any reason why there even needs to be this arbitrary time limit some suggest.

My only question around the box when a free is given is 'do you want 10?'. If they say no and the opposition are still organising themselves after 3, 5 or even 10 seconds I can't see any reason why the attacking side can't have a crack should they wish to do so.

(From memory the previous guidelines 2016-2017 said you should ask them 'do you want to take it quickly' which I think is sort of 'leading the witness' as it were. Seems that line has gone from the latest iteration which I think is for the better.)

As for my position I was definitely not over the ball. Probably 3m to the side.

BTW Thanks for all of the input. Really good to be on a forum where everyone is not screaming at each other.

Last edited:
I personally don't agree with the idea that ensuring they're on the correct spot makes it ceremonial. If you're hanging around the area having a chat then I think you've made it ceremonial by default (there is validity to the idea that if you're overly involved then it's ceremonial. For instance, if you've returned the ball to them then you should make it ceremonial).

I personally don't agree with the idea that ensuring they're on the correct spot makes it ceremonial.

The devil is in the details here. If you call for an IDFK in the goal area and the GK sets the ball down in the correct location and the other team takes the quick FK and scores then we have a good goal.

On the other hand, if the ref needs to get the ball from the GK and then hands it to the opposition telling them were to take the FK, then IMO it's been made ceremonial. Maybe that didn't happen in the OPs situation. I'd be curious to know how the other team got the ball after the IDFK was called.

For mine it's only ceremonial if they're asking for 10. (Or there's a sanction to be dished out, or an injured player etc.) I can't see any reason why there even needs to be this arbitrary time limit some suggest.

My only question around the box when a free is given is 'do you want 10?'. If they say no and the opposition is still organising themselves after 3, 5 or even 10 seconds I can't see any reason why the attacking side can't have a crack should they wish to do so.

(From memory the previous guidelines 2016-2017 said you should ask them 'do you want to take it quickly' which I think is sort of 'leading the witness' as it were. Seems that line has gone from the latest iteration which I think is for the better.)

As for my position I was definitely not over the ball. Probably 3m to the side.

BTW Thanks for all of the input. Really good to be on a forum where everyone is not screaming at each other.

Personally I dont ask if they want a whistle, or ten, or anything
Am not going to potentialy influence a players actions
It might be that I have spotted gk offline but they aint, and I have now alerted the striker to that possibility
Am always weighing up in head the chance of being asked the "can we go" ref question. I have the answer ready before they even ask. Its called being proactive.

First of all you’ve done nothing wrong to the letter of the law & as with many things with the LOTG you can interpret them how you like & use them to support any decision you make.

Just a couple of things that I bare in mind when dealing with your scenario players have very basic & limited knowledge of the LOTG so anything that looks or feels imoral like a player blasting a ball in the net from 6 yrds when the opposition are not ready or in place is gonna cause chaos.

For me it’s a fine balance of following the law & common sense, if I’m in the vicinity of the free kick & it’s in the final third then it’s on my whistle we are all then on the same page & im able to get into position for the next phase of play sort the wall out etc.

The fact you say defence were scrambling and trying to get a wall together plus the fact I assume they were standing on the goal line just makes the whole thing not sit right with me, had the shot hit one of them on the hand whilst they were trying to build a wall and unaware the kick was being taken what are you giving then a penalty?

For me the fact you’ve let them try to start getting a wall together & then let the kick be taken quickly just doesn’t make any sense to me, it’s like your asking for trouble (like I said if it hits a hand that is not ready are you giving a pen?).

If I’m in the box dealing with a free kick from 6yrds out & opposition team on the goaline then it’s gotta be on my whistle just purely for what could happen next & leaving myself open to a problem in the next phase of play, can’t ever remember seeing your scenario in the pro game I’ve seen shearer smash a few in for England & toon but always on the whistle.

I mean like I say you’ve done nothing wrong in law & FairPlay to the attacker for thinking quickly but not for me I’m afraid.

Personally I dont ask if they want a whistle, or ten, or anything
Am not going to potentialy influence a players actions
It might be that I have spotted gk offline but they aint, and I have now alerted the striker to that possibility
Am always weighing up in head the chance of being asked the "can we go" ref question. I have the answer ready before they even ask. Its called being proactive.

That's probably fair. This is why I thought the question 'do you want to take it quickly' was wrong in the previous set of guidelines. However I do see your point. I guess I ask 'do you want 10' as I thought it was the most neutral thing you could ask without influencing them, as it where.

I think I'll take your approach in future.

How does the ref handing the ball to them and showing them where to take it (or placing it at the correct location), make it ceremonial ?

@MIB: (Not sure how I quote just a portion of your above post) For me the fact you’ve let them try to start getting a wall together & then let the kick be taken quickly just doesn’t make any sense to me, it’s like your asking for trouble (like I said if it hits a hand that is not ready are you giving a pen?).

I haven't 'let them try' to do anything. That's just your usual 'get in the wall', 'mark that player', 'Terry get on the bloody back post' guff that is being yelled out at every free kick near the box. Generally speaking, in just about every game I ever played in at least, as soon as a foul is given around the box players are trying to sort themselves into a defensive structure. (Including a wall.) I can't see how that should then stop the attackers from taking it quickly should they wish to do so.

I mean what then? Ball goes into the goal from a quick free and the players in the wall say 'hang on, we were getting organised'.

It doesn't make sense.

In this particular case, given the location I didn't ask if they wanted 10 as it was impossible for '10' to be given. My only involvement came about when clever cookie #1 said to me 'do we have to wait?'.

For me the fact you’ve let them try to start getting a wall together & then let the kick be taken quickly just doesn’t make any sense to me, it’s like your asking for trouble (like I said if it hits a hand that is not ready are you giving a pen?).
Why not? What's the purpose of a free kick? Isn't it to benefit the attack?
As for 'asking for trouble' - if you want an easy job, take up knitting. You don't have a good reason to deny the attack the right to a quick kick.

The devil is in the details here. If you call for an IDFK in the goal area and the GK sets the ball down in the correct location and the other team takes the quick FK and scores then we have a good goal.

On the other hand, if the ref needs to get the ball from the GK and then hands it to the opposition telling them were to take the FK, then IMO it's been made ceremonial. Maybe that didn't happen in the OPs situation. I'd be curious to know how the other team got the ball after the IDFK was called.
Oh I agree 100%. The moment the ref touches the ball, it has to become ceremonial - otherwise the referee has physically assisted a quick restart an.
How does the ref handing the ball to them and showing them where to take it (or placing it at the correct location), make it ceremonial ?
Because the argument could be made that by becoming physically involved you've assisted the quick restart, and that means you're not being impartial on that restart - if it would have been slower if they got the ball themselves, then you've made yourself directly involved and changed the situation.

Back