A&H

Quick indirect free kick in the box.

I totally get your points & they are valid at the end of the day your the one with the whistle the buck stops with you, so if that’s your approach then fair play, I mean your talking about a very rare incident & also if your happy to re sight the lotg after the game & deal with the backlash then that’s down to you.

For me if you haven’t taken the free kick by the time I’ve got to you then it’s to late I’m now involved I’ve stoped made my way to you it’s now on my time.

So out of interest like I said if it hits a hand that is unaware it’s being taken quickly your then giving a pen? Just the thought of that scenario makes me wana hide behind the sofa.

The Referee Store
Because the argument could be made that by becoming physically involved you've assisted the quick restart, and that means you're not being impartial on that restart - if it would have been slower if they got the ball themselves, then you've made yourself directly involved and changed the situation.

Oh, fair point. I didn't mean, rush the ball over to the position for them..just merely placing it on the correct location. But I take your point. By actually being involved they could construe it as not being impartial. But then, you get the situation of the defending hanging team hanging onto the ball / kicking it away etc

Why not? What's the purpose of a free kick? Isn't it to benefit the attack?
As for 'asking for trouble' - if you want an easy job, take up knitting. You don't have a good reason to deny the attack the right to a quick kick.

Is knitting easy then? Never quite got the hang of it myself.

It’s down to each individual how they manage a situation, the scenario described is on my whistle end of.

Show me footage of a top referee or professional match where a quick free kick is taken from 6yrds out with no or some of the wall on the goaline? I think you’ll struggle tbh but I’d like to see it as it’s something I’ve never seen before in the pro game or twenty odd years at grass roots level.

I totally get your points & they are valid at the end of the day your the one with the whistle the buck stops with you, so if that’s your approach then fair play, I mean your talking about a very rare incident & also if your happy to re sight the lotg after the game & deal with the backlash then that’s down to you.

For me if you haven’t taken the free kick by the time I’ve got to you then it’s to late I’m now involved I’ve stoped made my way to you it’s now on my time.

So out of interest like I said if it hits a hand that is unaware it’s being taken quickly your then giving a pen? Just the thought of that scenario makes me wana hide behind the sofa.

Player unaware and hand in natural position, from point blank range with no opportunity to get out of the way. PLAY ON!!!!

Natural or unnatural position?

You would have to make that decision based on the usual 'get in the wall', 'mark that player', 'Terry get on the bloody back post' guff that is being yelled out at every free kick near the box.. ;)

Your talking 6yrds out & nobody expecting the kick, either way it hits an arm you’ve now got the attacking team screaming for a pen & another decision you’ve got to make & sell.

Your talking 6yrds out & nobody expecting the kick, either way it hits an arm you’ve now got the attacking team screaming for a pen & another decision you’ve got to make & sell.

Worry about that decision, if it happens. I don't think, "what could happen next ?", shouldn't be anything to do with the decision of whether they can take the IDF quickly !

Is knitting easy then? Never quite got the hang of it myself.

It’s down to each individual how they manage a situation, the scenario described is on my whistle end of.
Well, the LOTG also states that players have the right to take it quickly.

So, denying players that right just to make life easier than oneself is certainly not an approach that officials should be taking. Unfortunately some do.
Though you've provided a different answer in a later post when you've said that they can take it quick as long as they've taken it by the time you get there.

So I'm not sure what your actual approach is for this particular scenario given the conflicting information, but at least a question of 'at what point does it become assumed ceremonial?' is a much more valid take than the approach of some officials of 'quick ones are banned'.

Where do you get that idea? Has to be deliberate for a foul....

Worry about that decision, if it happens. I don't think, "what could happen next ?", shouldn't be anything to do with the decision of whether they can take the IDF quickly !

I agree but in the comfort of a Sunday morning discussing the scenario why not mention it.

I mean after all smashing a ball from 6yrds at a group of players players that are not expecting it there is a good chance it could hit an arm.

I agree but in the comfort of a Sunday morning discussing the scenario why not mention it.

You know, given we're talking about a shot being taken from 6 yards, there's just as good a chance of it striking an arm on a ceremonial one, I'd think.

At least if they're not even looking at the ball a decision of 'accidental, no foul' is easier to sell!

I said exactly the same in another thread. If they have to ask then it aint a quick free kick.

Have to be switched on here to make sure the IFK is indicated (arm raised) though because if they mess it up then I wouldnt want to have to give a second ceremonial attempt after they've tried the quick one.

I mean after all smashing a ball from 6yrds at a group of players players that are not expecting it there is a good chance it could hit an arm.
And what if? I wouldnt be awarding a penalty. Proximity. Deliberate act yada yada its been done to death in the world cuo final thread but you'll get my drift.

Well, the LOTG also states that players have the right to take it quickly.

So, denying players that right just to make life easier than oneself is certainly not an approach that officials should be taking. Unfortunately some do.
Though you've provided a different answer in a later post when you've said that they can take it quick as long as they've taken it by the time you get there.

So I'm not sure what your actual approach is for this particular scenario given the conflicting information, but at least a question of 'at what point does it become assumed ceremonial?' is a much more valid take than the approach of some officials of 'quick ones are banned'.

Where do you get that idea? Has to be deliberate for a foul....

I would have to be in the box & on the spot for him to ask for a quick free kick, therefore to late sunshine.

So no conflicting information there, very simple if you haven’t taken it by the time I’m next to you then to late.

I use that approach from the first whistle so the whole pitch is on the same page.

From my short experience players aren’t interested in quick free kicks for the benefit of the tream they want there moment of glory & want to size the shot up, I’ve had one request for a quick free kick in 35 games.

As for the penalty possibility, a player has arm raised calling men into the wall as he puts arm down he palms ball away that’s been struck at him or player has back to play puts hand up in air to signal a player over the ball is in mid air & strikes him you’ve now got another decision to make.

This is ridiculous tbh I’m not gonna bother even continuing with it, each to there own it’s your game you have the whistle the decision lies with you.

For me a idfk 6yrds out with me standing there, box full of players, plsyers on goal line etc etc.. it’s on my whistle.

If you think I’m looking for an easy way out and should take up knitting then cool I can live with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what if? I wouldnt be awarding a penalty. Proximity. Deliberate act yada yada its been done to death in the world cuo final thread but you'll get my drift.

I catch your drift, I’m done with the topic tbh.

If I’m in the box with all that going on it’s on my whistle end of.

After the game I dragged out the 2017-2018 LOTG and in the 'guidelines for match officials' under the 'managing defensive walls' it says.

The 'ceremonial free kick'.
What page is that on? It's not in the copy I have, which was downloaded from the IFAB website.
(From memory the previous guidelines 2016-2017 said you should ask them 'do you want to take it quickly' which I think is sort of 'leading the witness' as it were.
Again, nothing in my copy that says anything like that. To the best of my knowledge, the Laws of the game have never contained anything about managing defensive walls or 'ceremonial' free kicks etc.

If anyone can correct me on that I'd be happy to see the info, I do like to have my laws information correct.

I'm not keen on the idea of saying anything to the captain's or players before the game (like quick free kicks are OK from XYZ). The less you say the better. 'Safe Refereeing' would deter from allowing a quick free kick in this situation, on the basis of 'Game Management'. However, there are some on the forum who would routinely allow it, just to see sparks fly (@Sheffields Finest in his own words)

I have to say that although I'm a big fan of quick free kicks in principal, I'm not sure I would have done here. The ball could easily have been in the wrong place, the players are all obliged to retreat to the line, the fact it was an IFK may not have been clear to everyone, players would likely still be arguing or confused by the actual decision....many more things could have gone wrong than is the case for a standard QFK just outside the area, where I would normally let players go for it if everything is OK.

I'm not keen on the idea of saying anything to the captain's or players before the game (like quick free kicks are OK from XYZ). The less you say the better. 'Safe Refereeing' would deter from allowing a quick free kick in this situation, on the basis of 'Game Management'. However, there are some on the forum who would routinely allow it, just to see sparks fly (@Sheffields Finest in his own words)

Least said, soonest mended.....

Personally I dont ask if they want a whistle, or ten, or anything
Am not going to potentialy influence a players actions
It might be that I have spotted gk offline but they aint, and I have now alerted the striker to that possibility
Am always weighing up in head the chance of being asked the "can we go" ref question. I have the answer ready before they even ask. Its called being proactive.
Being proactive by not being proactive - I like it - though I prefer being proactive myself ;)

Crossing threads I'd say if you're a new ref to the OA game...... DON'T DO THIS!! Leave it a few weeks at least!!! :angel: Take a spare tissue too!!!

What page is that on? It's not in the copy I have, which was downloaded from the IFAB website.

Again, nothing in my copy that says anything like that. To the best of my knowledge, the Laws of the game have never contained anything about managing defensive walls or 'ceremonial' free kicks etc.

If anyone can correct me on that I'd be happy to see the info, I do like to have my laws information correct.

Beg your pardon it wasn't 'guidelines for match officials', it was 'Additional information for Australian Match Officals'.

Uploading pictures now. Hold for 5.

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_210425280.jpg
    IMG_20180722_210425280.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180722_210415944.jpg
    IMG_20180722_210415944.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180722_210326985.jpg
    IMG_20180722_210326985.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180722_210256823_LL.jpg