A&H

Quick indirect free kick in the box.

7 is fine. The ref has told him to move away.

IIRC Henry asked Poll if he can take it, and he's waved to say "go ahead." That's why the player (Gudjonson?) turns and shouts to the keeper. Unlikely you'll see this thesedays as they'll block the attempt for a free caution. :)

ref is standing over the ball, appears to be involved.

I don't think it really matters and there's no need for a whistle.

The only one I immediately take issue with is the Real Madrid one as the referee has his back to the freekick - you couldn't give that at grassroots on your own. But he has assistants who are hopefully watching the ball in this instance and can give him the all clear.

The Referee Store
If memory serves me right, Lille walked off the pitch after the Giggs one and had to be persuaded to return. I think they got a fine for that too.
Its ok here where we have stewards, linesman, a 4th, tv cameras to back up exactly what happened, and if need be, justify our decision
Bit diff Sunday Amuaters to keep control after the same...

Loads of free kicks taken quickly here where the ball wasn't on the exact blade of grass, where the referee was involved, when players were getting organised and the last one a you beaut indirect free kick in the box resulting in a goal after the referee hands the attacker the ball. (Horrible music but it's not my video.)

Actually here's an article and a clip of that last goal. A quick indirect free kick in the box. Champion. https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/arsenal-irked-quick-free-kick

Yes, but you'll find plenty of videos of decisions being made that are blatantly wrong, including a few of goals being given when the ball didn't go anywhere near the goal, and one of the top referees in the World carding a player twice and not sending him off. Doesn't make them right though … ;)

Reactions: one
As an assessor I'd agree with a quick free kick if its taken quickly. I'd also agree with disallowing it if it's not taken quickly. Do either and you wont lose marks for QFK. Go against either and you would lose some marks. Losing/keeping control of the game for me is a separate category. Any referee is expected to be able to make unpopular decisions and still keep control of the game. Similarly referees are expected to be able keep control after making mistakes. Mistakes are inevitable. So make a mistake in a QFK and lose control of the game because of it, you would lose marks twice. Make the correct call in a QFK (e.g disallows the QFK) and lose control of the game, you would lose some marks. Obviously the ideal situation is to make the correct call and keep control of the game even though one team is very unhappy with the decision.
Thank you @one ....at last realisation that making an unpopular decision does not mean loss of match control.
Loss of control is more likely when you do not apply dem laws correctly......cards will maintain control, even if you don't finish the game......

Reactions: one
As an assessor I'd most definitely mark down a referee who denied a QFK without a valid reason (I'm talking about the clear cut one - attacker wants to take it immediately, referee forces the ceremonial restart). They're failing to apply both the text and spirit of the law.

Now, there's been discussion on here about how long a delay before it's just assumed ceremonial by default, and I acknowledge there's a YHTBT element there.

A QFK is not only clearly stated as their right in the law, but it's also about the spirit of the game and the intent of a free kick. Depending on the scenario, I'd have to consider whether it's a critical markdown - a match-changing error.

Though on a more personal note I just think that denying a team that's their right, and refusing to do the right thing, just because you don't want to upset the other team is simply an abuse of the referee's power.

And I'm tired of the BS 'match control' decision. Especially as half the time it's used to justify an action that's just as likely to cause a loss of match control than the other method!

Just do the right thing and deal with the consequences, whatever they may be. Sometimes the correct decision is the unpopular one, or the misunderstood one - yes, sometimes the unexpected one. Sometimes the correct decision is the one that will lead to dissent. If you don't have the courage to do that, why are you on the field?

Last edited:
When I retired I received many latent messages of support from some very unexpected sources commending me on standing up to the idiots. You really think you are in a lonely place sometimes giving certain unpopular decisions but you only ever hear from the vociferous players. The quieter ones who may understand your decision or aren’t one-eyed biased do appreciate your honesty and integrity. Like Captain Birdseye above says, give what you see and sod the consequences!

it's when one of the players saunters up after the ball has been placed and you are marking out the wall distance and they casually ask "can I take it quick ref?" 😁

Back