A&H

Promotions - Season Ending 2024

Maybe my test was full of particularly fit people but most were well under 6 with some even trying to manage under 5. Doesn't seem necessarily a super high bar. Only person who didn't manage because they pulled a hammy
It's actually slower than the current requirement, but does require you to get up to speed faster.

Every test I have attended I've seen folks sail very close to the wind (either late to the line or leaving the line early) yet never seen a person fail.

I don't think the failure rate will be as high as expected but there will be some disappointed people on the test days

A&H International
It's actually slower than the current requirement, but does require you to get up to speed faster.

Every test I have attended I've seen folks sail very close to the wind (either late to the line or leaving the line early) yet never seen a person fail.

I don't think the failure rate will be as high as expected but there will be some disappointed people on the test days
Excuse my stupidness but why not get people to do the fitness test before being selected for promotion? Wouldn't this save wasted effort?

Excuse my stupidness but why not get people to do the fitness test before being selected for promotion? Wouldn't this save wasted effort?
Think we are now talking about the Annual fitness test all referees at L4+ have to undertake.

Most counties require you to pass it before going on the promotion scheme (5-4) so you have demonstrated you can. You then have to pass it along side every referee at your level every year before you can receive any appointments in the new season. No fitness, No appointment.

And can also be called up to fitness test at any time in the season (so they say, I am yet to come across a referee or heard of anyone having been done so).

Unless you are referring to selection dates seeing those that don't pass fitness are out... The wasted effort is on the referee. You got plenty notice, have access to merit tables, and if you aspire to the next level you should be fit enough. If you choose to travel, and there's a doubt on the fitness, this is the referee's problem, not the FA.

Can't imagine many will fail, I found it much easier than the Cooper test. I did hear that they were looking at changing it for next season to make it harder.
Oh yeah that part of the test is a piece of piss. As @JamesL Says, the fact the sprints have gates will be a problem for many.

No referee can be nominated for L4 unless they have passed the fitness test organised by their CFA. Most CFAs, mine included, will not observe referees until they have passed the fitness test as doing so could be wasted time, effort and money.

Aged 50, weighing 15 and a half stone, I'd have to harbour a slight concern regarding the timed gates
I was quick in my day (just as well cos it made up for a lack of footballing 'ability') but we lose speed more than we lose stamina as we get older.
I would finish mid-pack in historic 50m fitness tests. I catch up once I reach full speed, but I'm slow off the mark. So the new 40m requirement is not a good thing for me. I reckon I'll be OK, but I'm not without a slight concern regarding the 40m timed gates and 'acceleration'.

When I coach Referees (MDC), I'm very observant of their sprinting ability and the frequency and intensity of 'working hard'. I think it's a good thing that Level 4's must meet this new criteria because there's definitely some L4's who are not fit for that level. At some point however, I'll probably fall victim to the new standard

Aged 50, weighing 15 and a half stone, I'd have to harbour a slight concern regarding the timed gates
I was quick in my day (just as well cos it made up for a lack of footballing 'ability') but we lose speed more than we lose stamina as we get older.
I would finish mid-pack in historic 50m fitness tests. I catch up once I reach full speed, but I'm slow off the mark. So the new 40m requirement is not a good thing for me. I reckon I'll be OK, but I'm not without a slight concern regarding the 40m timed gates and 'acceleration'.

When I coach Referees (MDC), I'm very observant of their sprinting ability and the frequency and intensity of 'working hard'. I think it's a good thing that Level 4's must meet this new criteria because there's definitely some L4's who are not fit for that level. At some point however, I'll probably fall victim to the new standard
Great post - especially the last paragraph.

Was having this discussion the other day; in that by forcing out Level 4s who are often older, through the new timed gates etc, we might see ourselves in a position where we lose a lot of experience in the game.

I've run the line for many L4s this season, and some absolutely brilliant young ones, but also great older ones too. I find the lessons I learn are different. From the younger ones; I often learn technical things, movement etc., whereas older ones have taught me far more about match control and man management.

If we see a massive drop in more experienced 4s, I will be intrigued to see the changing practices that may result.

Was having this discussion the other day; in that by forcing out Level 4s who are often older, through the new timed gates etc, we might see ourselves in a position where we lose a lot of experience in the game.

I've run the line for many L4s this season, and some absolutely brilliant young ones, but also great older ones too. I find the lessons I learn are different. From the younger ones; I often learn technical things, movement etc., whereas older ones have taught me far more about match control and man management.

If we see a massive drop in more experienced 4s, I will be intrigued to see the changing practices that may result.
That’s a fair point, though I would argue that all Referees need to be able to sprint at this level of football.

One of the great things about older officials is man management lessons. I'm blessed with sounding quite posh (autistic not rich sadly!) and it means I can't really deploy the sort of laddish "come on lads" stuff that works for other officials my age. So it's been great to learn tips from older officials that work just as well

I'd be the same, as a player I was very quick off the mark, hence why I played at centre half even though I'm only 5'9". But no matter how fit you are, pace goes with age. When I first started doing fitness tests I was crossing the line towards the front in the sprints, by the time I was in my late 30s I was one of the last over it even though I was still covering the most distance round the track. Fitness and sprinting ability are two very, very different things.

The changes to the sprints is definitely going to get rid of a lot of older L4s.

I'd be the same, as a player I was very quick off the mark, hence why I played at centre half even though I'm only 5'9". But no matter how fit you are, pace goes with age. When I first started doing fitness tests I was crossing the line towards the front in the sprints, by the time I was in my late 30s I was one of the last over it even though I was still covering the most distance round the track. Fitness and sprinting ability are two very, very different things.

The changes to the sprints is definitely going to get rid of a lot of older L4s.
So far my sprinting ability is still in tact @ approaching 36. I know I will lose it soon but still posting 5.2-5.4s on the 40ms.

I do a bit of trail running which involves fairly decent elevation which I think is what keeps the power in the legs, for now.

Back