A&H

Offside on a Goal Kick & a question ?

ByronCoach

Afternoon all, im not a ref but i do respect each and every one of you that go out there at weekends and in the week and do what i can only describe as a tough and sometimes thankless task of officiating the games so we coaches and managers can play.

What i want to ask is a quick question as it got brought up today at a U14's game that i was watching for my club, team A has a goalkick there manager tells his CF to drop more into team B's half and go behind the back 4 as he cant be offside from a goalkick,

Now it was my understanding and as i say i have had no training and feel i have good understanding of the game that even from a goalkick that if an attacking player is in the other teams half and behind the back 4 he is then deemed offside, however if in his own half and behind them he is not.

I did not risk the argument with the coach on the sideline but i did pass a comment and say i think he might be off mate if you do that to which he replied in a polite manner (honest)

"Think you will find he wont mate as its the same rule as for a throw in"

Just wondering if any of you fine ref's might be able to clear this one up for me.

On another note as i don't wish to start a separate thread for this but i'm curious if this is true,

On a Goalkick after the ball has gone out of play can the keeper let the ball role in his 6 yard area prior to kicking the ball (i.e. a moving ball) i don't believe its true but was wondering if you can clear it up for me ?

Thanks all and hope you have a good season

The Referee Store
Can't be offside from a Goal Kick. Not to be confused with a kick from Hands though

And ball must be dead!

Correct, you can't be offside from a goal kick.

There are a few restarts you can't be offside from
- throw in
- goal kick
- corner kick

These are the main 3 but also
- kick off (have to be in your own half)
- penalty kick (all players must be behind the ball)

Hope that helps.

Same as a throw in. Can not be offside from a GK.

Bet your next training session is "CF - get forward - you're fine!"

And next game "Ref - you definatley got that one wrong, defo".

Well its safe to say every day is a School day..

So direct from a dead ball goalkick if we left the CF behind the back 4 and it reached him without another touch in the opposing half we can then go on and (knowing my team) have a shot at goal and miss !

Exactly.

I'd highly recommend if the team your playing against are all 50p heads then tell you attackers not to challenge and watch how many flick ons you get!

Well its safe to say every day is a School day..

So direct from a dead ball goalkick if we left the CF behind the back 4 and it reached him without another touch in the opposing half we can then go on and (knowing my team) have a shot at goal and miss !

Precisely.

Did you also know you can't score an own goal direct from a restart of play?

As long as none of his teammates play the ball on to him after the goal kick (it goes through to him with no touch from anyone or a defender plays it) he will not be offside.

Can't be offside from a Goal Kick. Not to be confused with a kick from Hands though

And ball must be dead!
@ByronCoach, Darius and all the others are completely correct about the various offside laws.

However it's fair to say that there's ongoing disagreement amongst refs about whether the ball needs to be stationary for a goal kick .. it categorically MUST be for very other restart (apart from a throw in obviously :)) but bizarrely the Laws are a little unclear about goal kicks ... unless Darius wants to shed light on where it's there in black and white in the LOTG? :)

Afternoon all, im not a ref but i do respect each and every one of you that go out there at weekends and in the week and do what i can only describe as a tough and sometimes thankless task of officiating the games so we coaches and managers can play.

What i want to ask is a quick question as it got brought up today at a U14's game that i was watching for my club, team A has a goalkick there manager tells his CF to drop more into team B's half and go behind the back 4 as he cant be offside from a goalkick,

Now it was my understanding and as i say i have had no training and feel i have good understanding of the game that even from a goalkick that if an attacking player is in the other teams half and behind the back 4 he is then deemed offside, however if in his own half and behind them he is not.

I did not risk the argument with the coach on the sideline but i did pass a comment and say i think he might be off mate if you do that to which he replied in a polite manner (honest)

"Think you will find he wont mate as its the same rule as for a throw in"

Just wondering if any of you fine ref's might be able to clear this one up for me.

On another note as i don't wish to start a separate thread for this but i'm curious if this is true,

On a Goalkick after the ball has gone out of play can the keeper let the ball role in his 6 yard area prior to kicking the ball (i.e. a moving ball) i don't believe its true but was wondering if you can clear it up for me ?

Thanks all and hope you have a good season

A player cannot be given offside DIRECTLY from a throw in, corner kick, or a goal kick anywhere on the field of play

Goal kicks need to be taken with the ball stationary, but the ball may be positioned anywhere inside the goal area ( lines being included as part of the goal area) opposing players should be outside the penalty area for goal kicks, and outside the penalty area and at least 10 yards or 9.15m for free kicks to the defending side when taken in their own penalty area

Hope that helped?

I'll echo all and say how nice it is to find a coach looking to learn something about the Laws of the Game. They're online if you want it straight from the horse's mouth - though I'm sure the refs here would love a chance to answer any more questions you might have.

No need to answer your offside question again, but the second one's a good one. One of those where it's actually best not to know too much and just do what everyone thinks is right. ;-)

But since you've asked...
Goal kicks need to be taken with the ball stationary.

Are you sure on that? What's it say in the LOTG? ;-)

(Oops: can o' worms...)

Agree Frank, only fk's mention the ball being stationary nowadays I think

Working on the principle of the next order countermanding the last, I for one have never been told a moving ball is okay at pen/goal/corner kicks either, be a good point to throw in at my society, as one or two say 'in play when it moves'

"Placed". That means "not moving", which in turn means "stationary".

Seriously though, having a good knowledge of the history of the Laws is a very good thing. Why Laws are what they are, when they changed, etc.

Things like that really help your deeper understanding of the Laws, the game, and the intent of the Lawmakers.

I know I am being picky here but since when did placed mean not moving or stationary??

Agree on the history of laws though...they are interesting :)

Back