The Ref Stop

NFFC vs BHO

I won't get much support on this, but the participant behaviour thing is going too far. Lord knows what the Brighton manager got dismissed for. The countless zero tolerance yellows for dissent are not proving effective. At step 5 and below, we're in a different world all together. Imagine zero tolerance Sin Bins?

All I'm saying is it's going too far. Respect is dwindling rather than what was hoped for. I think it's just having the opposite effect. Hit really bad behaviour hard. Instead, trivial dissent is being tarred with the same brush.
That's my style of reffing I guess. I'm not too interested in triviality (i quite like a degree of misbehaviour, sometimes to my cost in observations), but I'm very strict when participants cross a certain line
Rome wasn't built in a day. Simon Jordan talks about this a lot when ex-players complain about dissent cautions, added time, time wasting for cautions, etc, and I completely agree with him. His response is always why do they think this kind of action was needed and is now being forced onto them? It is because of the actions of players over the past 20 years trying to bend every possible law to their advantage, people have now had enough and decided that action was needed. And that isn't just in England, action is being taken by confederations and other individual nations now, the players and coaches have pushed the boundaries for too long and are now finding themselves facing consequences.

The Ref Stop
KMI Panel on Gibbs White!
However, the panel disagreed with second caution for Nottingham Forest's Morgan Gibbs-White in their 2-2 draw at Brighton & Hove Albion. Gibbs-White was sent off by referee Rob Jones on the advice of fourth official Anthony Taylor and other members of the on-field team. On a split 3-2 vote, the KMI Panel said that "it's a strong challenge made at full speed but below the threshold for a second caution," with the opposing view being that "the intensity of the challenge is too high and it's a reckless tackle showing disregard to the consequences for the opponent."

KMI Panel on Gibbs White!
Interesting, though i can see where the panel is coming from. Although I totally get that the 4th official is there to assist the team & gave his thoughts to the Referee, ultimately, given the body language of the Referee from what he saw from a credible position, I think he should have stuck to his original thoughts that the Forest player made ‘lawful’ contact with the ball. Given this outcome, it will now be interesting to see what happens to the sendings off of the 2 Managers, but could well be nothing since whatever decision is made by the Referee, it doesn’t excuse the behaviour of Managers.

Why is it considered poor practice for a referee to signal that the ball was won either with hands making a ball shape or pointing at the ball? And does that poor practice extend down to grassroots? I do it, not every match but I’ll do it numerous times over a season and no one’s ever told me it’s poor practice. I just became L5 and I’m not on promotion.

Why is it considered poor practice for a referee to signal that the ball was won either with hands making a ball shape or pointing at the ball? And does that poor practice extend down to grassroots? I do it, not every match but I’ll do it numerous times over a season and no one’s ever told me it’s poor practice. I just became L5 and I’m not on promotion.
Because things can still be a foul, regardless of getting the ball. All it does is conflate the belief that winning the ball= no foul.

I think what we can say is that not only is it a close call with the panel, but also perhaps with other Referees including this forum whereby a 2nd yellow would shade a non-yellow, but that’s how close things can be when subjective.

I won't get much support on this, but the participant behaviour thing is going too far. Lord knows what the Brighton manager got dismissed for. The countless zero tolerance yellows for dissent are not proving effective. At step 5 and below, we're in a different world all together. Imagine zero tolerance Sin Bins?

All I'm saying is it's going too far. Respect is dwindling rather than what was hoped for. I think it's just having the opposite effect. Hit really bad behaviour hard. Instead, trivial dissent is being tarred with the same brush.
That's my style of reffing I guess. I'm not too interested in triviality (i quite like a degree of misbehaviour, sometimes to my cost in observations), but I'm very strict when participants cross a certain line
I kinda disagree. I have found it way easier to give the first dissent card of the match - for less severe dissent - this season. Everyone knows the threshold is low, they’ve seen it on TV. The leagues have announced it. They know, teammates are supportive, coaches know.

Last night prone player whinging for a card, dissent by action throwing his arm at me, easy yellow. Last season I’d be managing it. This season, YC in 17th min, heated match, but no more dissent thereafter. I think it’s working.

If a foul at midfield with 20 yards of space to run into with only 3 defenders back to mark 3 attackers isn't SPA then what is?
I’m not disagreeing with you, but some may say it’s closer to the half way line than midfield and some may say they would prefer the attacker to be deeper into their opponent’s half before considering an SPA.

Back