A&H

Newcastle v City

Can’t the VAR just give what football expects? The referee community, me included, pour scorn on ex footballers/managers fulfilling VAR duties, but after this weekend I can honestly say give it a go, it can’t be this bad?

The Referee Store
Peter Walton explains:

Ryan Fraser had no chance of being first to the ball. Ederson was committed to pouncing on the ball until Cancelo took it away otherwise Ederson would have got to it before Fraser. Both Fraser and Ederson ended up where the ball wasn't, so as my friend Mr Clattenburg used to say, it was just a coming together.

(All in the spirit of having a sense of humour.)

You just have to laugh! That has to be a lack of knowledge from the pundits rather than the actual reason…
That's what I thought when I first heard it but then on BBC Match of the Day they said they were told the same thing. Then I saw a clip where (although he isn't a referee, and not directly involved any more) Dermot Gallagher said exactly the same thing - that VAR probably didn't give it because "Cancelo's come away with the ball." I could hardly believe my ears!

It's 4m 07s into the clip below.

Last edited:
Went back home for the day yesterday to spend and early 'Xmas Day' with my family. I'm a City fan as is my dad (he first took me to Maine Road in 1989).

He just looked at me after the replay and said "how is that not a penalty?". I've still no idea how they can view that on VAR and deem it to not be a penalty. I'm all for a high bar on pens as I haven't forgot what a mess it was when it was first introduced and we were seeing the game re-refereed which they were adamant wasn't actually going to happen. The keeper takes none of the ball and all of the man. It doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that. I feel they were looking into it too much, over thinking it.

Do people up high ever think about their credibility when/if defending something like this when also defending a VAR overturn for something which is much less of a foul than it.

One of of the first things I learnt as a referee was that if you funked up on something obvious, it's much more credible to admit it, apologise and move on.

Atkinson makes it clear he is not giving that pk
Would anyone on the forum be correcting him?

no.

no.
Plenty of people on here have said they’d be correcting him. And if you’re on about it they’d correct him as a VAR, it’s a bit hard to judge seeing as none of us (I think) have experience with video tech. Is this related to recent AR threads?

That's got to be up there as one of the worst VAR decisions ever, right up there with the non red card in the Chelsea Spurs game a few years back. Back then they try and come up with a reason why it can't be a red card and the same happens here. The reason is just total nonsence and the calls of they make it up as they go along just get louder unfortunately.

Glancing at diverse media coverage in the UK, there's absolute unanimity in the football community in terms of dissenting against VAR
It's scornful coverage (not just for today, but officiating and VAR in general). It's also something I'm probably unpopular for calling out. I've a deepening understanding of how difficult the game is to officiate, so I/we get the challenges involved. I don't blame any individual for where we're at.
I blame the Governance of the game, therefore I fundamentally blame FIFA and to a lesser extent IFAB and to a lesser extent the PGMOL and to an even lesser extent the top top Match Officials that are being hauled across the coals. And to an infinitesimal lesser extent, all Referees beneath SG1/SG2
Back to a question I've (tediously) posed before - last night without VAR - any worse/better; more/less reaction?

Would still be 'wrong' decisions, still be the huge media 'reaction', still be the largely uninformed social media reaction - oh and it wouldn't have taken 24 seconds to disallow the Wolves goal, or 30 seconds to allow City's 3rd.

Seriously, would just have been another evening of debateable calls, plain wrong calls and loads and loads of good decisions (that no one would mention) - that any 'worse' to last night?

Back to a question I've (tediously) posed before - last night without VAR - any worse/better; more/less reaction?
Last night, without VAR, the original referee decisions would have been different. I genuinely believe this.

As a whole with VAR more correct decisions are being made, but it's not worth the ruined experience for something that promises so much and delivers so little.

no.
as no one on the forum is a Select Group Official, then no. BUT if I WAS an experienced SG1 referee at Stockley Park, WITH the 'power' to 'advise' he looks at the monitor, then yes I would - VAR doesn't overturn subjective penalty calls as I'm sure you know btw, but assume you're paraphrasing.

Last night, without VAR, the original referee decisions would have been different. I genuinely believe this.

As a whole with VAR more correct decisions are being made, but it's not worth the ruined experience for something that promises so much and delivers so little.
Last sentence sums it up perfectly!

Reactions: one

do super likes exist...or is that something else...:D

Would still be 'wrong' decisions, still be the huge media 'reaction', still be the largely uninformed social media reaction - oh and it wouldn't have taken 24 seconds to disallow the Wolves goal, or 30 seconds to allow City's 3rd.

Seriously, would just have been another evening of debateable calls, plain wrong calls and loads and loads of good decisions (that no one would mention) - that any 'worse' to last night?
There would be less reaction surely. Because we are also debating the video ref as well as the ref where as with no video ref we would only debate the ref.

no.
Instructions to AR usually includes "If I'm cutting the grass I don't expect you to interfere". If the VAR sees the same signal (or similar) wouldn't VAR be less likely to recommend a review? (I know I invented the Peter Walton quote, but it is at least an explanation of why the onfield referee wasn't interested.)

no.
Now then, you haven't got that 'anti-Mags Head' of yours on again now? You're like Worzil Gummidge the ease with which you stick that heed on 🤣
I'll get the Saudi's onto you!

Instructions to AR usually includes "If I'm cutting the grass I don't expect you to interfere". If the VAR sees the same signal (or similar) wouldn't VAR be less likely to recommend a review? (I know I invented the Peter Walton quote, but it is at least an explanation of why the onfield referee wasn't interested.)

Thats my point, the min the most experienced epl referee says no, to something he has seen, thats that.

rendering the var fruitless.

Now, had that been a new select 1 on the park, Craig Pawson would at very least be saying, go look at this.

as no one on the forum is a Select Group Official, then no. BUT if I WAS an experienced SG1 referee at Stockley Park, WITH the 'power' to 'advise' he looks at the monitor, then yes I would - VAR doesn't overturn subjective penalty calls as I'm sure you know btw, but assume you're paraphrasing.
For all we know, VAR did recommend a review and Atkinson decided against.

Now then, you haven't got that 'anti-Mags Head' of yours on again now? You're like Worzil Gummidge the ease with which you stick that heed on 🤣
I'll get the Saudi's onto you!

Oh its a pk and one they should have got. Very much pro Mags here, they have been wronged

everyone has a team they dont like....I like to call them the black and white St Johnstone, a one club city, big diff of course being St J have won something in my lifetime.
That plus I had bad experience in Nisa/Day to Day at the centre of life in like 2003

Back