A&H

Newcastle v City

The Referee Store
Well, watching live on TV I shouted "no chance" - so I suppose not - but watching the replays my mate said "why wasn't it a penalty then?", and I'd not yet come up with the "Peter Walton" explanation.
Where the defender was, is irrelevant, as are previous decisions.

Yes, penalty for me all day long, would be very disappointed with myself if I didn't give it.

Even more disappointed with myself if I was VAR and not recommending a review.

Atkinson makes it clear he is not giving that pk
Would anyone on the forum be correcting him?

no.

Not if I was an AR as it would have been miles from my credible zone. If I was sat in a nice warm office near Heathrow I would most definitely be telling him to go and have another look. Actually, whilst I wouldn't flag it, with comms I would be saying something like "Martin did you see the keeper wipe him out?".

Instructions to AR usually includes "If I'm cutting the grass I don't expect you to interfere". If the VAR sees the same signal (or similar) wouldn't VAR be less likely to recommend a review? (I know I invented the Peter Walton quote, but it is at least an explanation of why the onfield referee wasn't interested.)

No, VAR aren't party to pre-match instructions. They are just supposed to look at whether it was a clear and obvious error.

Not if I was an AR as it would have been miles from my credible zone. If I was sat in a nice warm office near Heathrow I would most definitely be telling him to go and have another look. Actually, whilst I wouldn't flag it, with comms I would be saying something like "Martin did you see the keeper wipe him out?".

i meant as VAR....

no way as Ar

No, VAR aren't party to pre-match instructions. They are just supposed to look at whether it was a clear and obvious error.
That's not what I asked. I said would the VAR be influenced (maybe even subconsciously - regression to when an AR!) if the onfield referee was making it obvious he was waving it away?

That's not what I asked. I said would the VAR be influenced (maybe even subconsciously - regression to when an AR!) if the onfield referee was making it obvious he was waving it away?

They shouldn't be. All they should be asking is whether the referee made a clear and obvious error.

I believe that is true for the PL, but not universally true.
It's all guesswork about subconscious influence, but the job of the VAR is to identify clear errors. The R thinking he got it right shouldnt influence whether it is sent down (or how the VAR is graded as to whether it was sent down)

Back