A&H

Newcastle v City

The Referee Store
It’s a penalty. Bad that it was missed in real time, but even worse that VAR thought it wasn’t worthy of Atkinson being sent to the monitor.

PS. We’re told time and time again that this isn’t a fans forum. What a ridiculous thread title.

Was just about to post about that. Keepers seem to get away with far more than outfield players. Absolute nailed on foul, anywhere on the pitch, staggering it wasn't given or reviewed.

Ederson was also lucky with his earlier challenge, jumping through the back of the Newcastle attacker. No way a defender would get away with going knees first into the back of an opponent.

Agree. Pen. And agree it's a clear and obvious pen.

I like the thread title. Aren't referees allowed to have a sense of humour?

So Sky saying the only comment they've got from VAR being, 'Cancelo came away with the ball'
Please tell me that can't be true

If VARs review and comment is true, take that it's a green light to start wiping out opponents off the ball then? 🤔

It is a terrible decision, and I just cannot see how VAR haven't recommended a review. The fact that Cancelo came away with the ball is neither here nor there, had the attacker not been wiped out he would have been right on top of Cancelo to challenge him.

It is a terrible decision, and I just cannot see how VAR haven't recommended a review. The fact that Cancelo came away with the ball is neither here nor there, had the attacker not been wiped out he would have been right on top of Cancelo to challenge him.
Did you pull a post of mine? What I said was true IMO, the fact you disagree with it is not a reason to silence it. Some light-hearted self-confessed fandom admittedly, but balanced and fair at the same time. Don't just silence things because they happen to conflict with your opinion. I can be trusted not to take things too far FGS
It has been quite arguably the worst bit of VAR we've ever seen (well maybe not, there's quite a few competing calamities)
Hard to expect us to completely supress personality!
Anyway, imagine if this one went against @bloovee 's Blues :confused:😁🤣 The Forum server would melt

Last edited:
Yeh that’s a clear pen. Appalling appalling decision

PS. We’re told time and time again that this isn’t a fans forum. What a ridiculous thread title.
I laughed when I saw the thread title. Intrigued to see what about it makes this a “fans forum”

Amended - ps, I’m not a fan of either side. Just a ref with a sense of humour

It’s a bit baffling really. it’s no Surprise people question the clear and obvious criteria with incidents like this

Not sure I can add much to this. Penalty clear as day to all and sundry 'cept those that matter.
Also wasn't a fan of the Jesus non-foul that sent Ritchie colliding with the hoardings.

Amended - ps, I’m not a fan of either side. Just a ref with a sense of humour

It’s a bit baffling really. it’s no Surprise people question the clear and obvious criteria with incidents like this
Even I think this one is really quite funny. It would be hilarious if I wasn't a member of the Reffing community

Not sure I can add much to this. Penalty clear as day to all and sundry 'cept those that matter.
Also wasn't a fan of the Jesus non-foul that sent Ritchie colliding with the hoardings.
For the jesus one he slips on the ball/ looses his balance, the boards make it look worse, if he they wernt there it wouldnt have looked so bad

For the jesus one he slips on the ball/ looses his balance, the boards make it look worse, if he they wernt there it wouldnt have looked so bad
They call Ritchie 'Gordon Ramsey' in the dressing room due to how much he shouts and swears. He didn't seem that bothered about the challenge

They call Ritchie 'Gordon Ramsey' in the dressing room due to how much he shouts and swears. He didn't seem that bothered about the challenge
I think he told the referee exactly what he thought...
Dont disagree. But having seen a player 'accidentally' 'nudged' into hoardings in my own games I naturally harbour a dislike towards challenges that present that danger.

Dont get me wrong I am not suggesting it ought to be more than a foul, I just dont like them

Did you pull a post of mine? What I said was true IMO, the fact you disagree with it is not a reason to silence it. Some light-hearted self-confessed fandom admittedly, but balanced and fair at the same time. Don't just silence things because they happen to conflict with your opinion. I can be trusted not to take things too far FGS
It has been quite arguably the worst bit of VAR we've ever seen (well maybe not, there's quite a few competing calamities)
Hard to expect us to completely supress personality!
Anyway, imagine if this one went against @bloovee 's Blues :confused:😁🤣 The Forum server would melt

There was a complaint, plus you can't be accusing match officials of bias on a refereeing side. And yes I know you didn't use that actual word, but you implied it which is enough the get the post pulled.

There was a complaint, plus you can't be accusing match officials of bias on a refereeing side. And yes I know you didn't use that actual word, but you implied it which is enough the get the post pulled.
OK well no drama. The complainers need to get a life as my opinoon is based on subcnoncious bjas and such like. No ref would bias delibetatletly. Dear me. Otherwise I'm just seeing the funny side of this one

Last edited:
Glancing at diverse media coverage in the UK, there's absolute unanimity in the football community in terms of dissenting against VAR
It's scornful coverage (not just for today, but officiating and VAR in general). It's also something I'm probably unpopular for calling out. I've a deepening understanding of how difficult the game is to officiate, so I/we get the challenges involved. I don't blame any individual for where we're at.
I blame the Governance of the game, therefore I fundamentally blame FIFA and to a lesser extent IFAB and to a lesser extent the PGMOL and to an even lesser extent the top top Match Officials that are being hauled across the coals. And to an infinitesimal lesser extent, all Referees beneath SG1/SG2

Back