A&H

New fitness test

Had a practice run at this organised by my county fa and I have say it seems much easier than the Cooper test!

Once you get your rhythm and timings right it’s not that strenuous!

The Referee Store
Had a practice run at this organised by my county fa and I have say it seems much easier than the Cooper test!

Once you get your rhythm and timings right it’s not that strenuous!
Easier than Copper. For L4's, accounting for the running and walking, it's 10:16 minute/mile pace on average
Of course, it's a lot harder than continuous 10:16 minute mile pace for 26:38 , but easier that continuous running for 2.6km at ~ 7:16 / mile pace

Begs the question, as 5-to-4 candidates have to pass the L4 fitness test, why shouldn't L4's (who are all 4-to-3 candidates) have to pass the L3 test? I guess those who are promoted will ultimately have to pass the L3 test to get promoted

Easier than Copper. For L4's, accounting for the running and walking, it's 10:16 minute/mile pace on average
Of course, it's a lot harder than continuous 10:16 minute mile pace for 26:38 , but easier that continuous running for 2.6km at ~ 7:16 / mile pace

Begs the question, as 5-to-4 candidates have to pass the L4 fitness test, why shouldn't L4's (who are all 4-to-3 candidates) have to pass the L3 test? I guess those who are promoted will ultimately have to pass the L3 test to get promoted
I think it's right that a l5-4 has to prove they can do the test before nomination.
The FA need a certain number of refs. If half of what they need that get nominated can't do the test then they don't have enough refs
4-3 slightly different in that the referee has already demonstrated a degree of fitness. And an additional 100m at the old cooper test or 2seconds quicker on the interval sprint in reality is not a significant amount of extra ask, unless you are already at your fitnes capacity as a 4.

It is a lot more common that it should be that referees promoted from 4 to 3 lose their place because they fail the fitness test, fail the LoTG exam, or even both.

I think it's right that a l5-4 has to prove they can do the test before nomination.
The FA need a certain number of refs. If half of what they need that get nominated can't do the test then they don't have enough refs
4-3 slightly different in that the referee has already demonstrated a degree of fitness. And an additional 100m at the old cooper test or 2seconds quicker on the interval sprint in reality is not a significant amount of extra ask, unless you are already at your fitnes capacity as a 4.
Having trialled both the new level 3 and level 4 tests, I do think there is now a much bigger difference between the two than before.

How easy or difficult we find different tests is a function of our individual fitness, physical make-ups and fitness regimes. However I am 100% convinced that 15 vs 17 seconds for 40 consecutive runs is much bigger than 100m over 2,600m. Arithmetically and VO2

With the midseason promotions they may need to change approach as I'm sure they'll be more than one who fails it in the summer after operating for half a season at a higher level.

Having trialled both the new level 3 and level 4 tests, I do think there is now a much bigger difference between the two than before.

How easy or difficult we find different tests is a function of our individual fitness, physical make-ups and fitness regimes. However I am 100% convinced that 15 vs 17 seconds for 40 consecutive runs is much bigger than 100m over 2,600m. Arithmetically and VO2
I think I'd agree with your point as the difference in pace for the cooper is 10s per km where as the difference between the intervals is 27s per km albeit over much shorter distance over time so it's difficult to compare like for like.

My point was though that you have still already proven a certain level of fitness to be considered for promotion. As a level 5, there is minimal fitness testing so the failure rate without testing as part of the promotion test I bet would be significantly higher. In fact I am certain It would as I have seen how many fail to pass as part of promotion thus don't get onto the promotion pathway in the first place

I can't speak for other counties, but here there are a major lack of observers. If every Tom, Dick and Harry who felt like putting in for 5-4 could do so without first having to show that they were fit enough to pass the test, you would have the few observers we have wasting their time watching people who will never be able to remain a 4, and taking those observations away from others who might actually be able to benefit and progress.

I can't speak for other counties, but here there are a major lack of observers. If every Tom, Dick and Harry who felt like putting in for 5-4 could do so without first having to show that they were fit enough to pass the test, you would have the few observers we have wasting their time watching people who will never be able to remain a 4, and taking those observations away from others who might actually be able to benefit and progress.

dont counties make you do the fitness test before you can be considered for 5-4? i presume it would be the same with this new test

dont counties make you do the fitness test before you can be considered for 5-4? i presume it would be the same with this new test
See post #42 which the conversation is in response to

I think I'd agree with your point as the difference in pace for the cooper is 10s per km where as the difference between the intervals is 27s per km albeit over much shorter distance over time so it's difficult to compare like for like.

My point was though that you have still already proven a certain level of fitness to be considered for promotion. As a level 5, there is minimal fitness testing so the failure rate without testing as part of the promotion test I bet would be significantly higher. In fact I am certain It would as I have seen how many fail to pass as part of promotion thus don't get onto the promotion pathway in the first place
Agree - also with the observation scoring system the way it is & the small number of 4-3 promotion slots, it's unlikely anyone who is not scoring well on the fitness-related observation categories at level 4 is going to make it. That's not the same as saying that the fitness test is a perfect indicator of the ability to excel in observations on those points (it's not), but it's a reasonable indicator.

I'm looking forward to having a go at this. Injury has sidelined me for almost 2 months, killing my end of season games (including cup final), hoping to get the green light to start running again by next weekend! 🤞🏼

I'm looking forward to having a go at this. Injury has sidelined me for almost 2 months, killing my end of season games (including cup final), hoping to get the green light to start running again by next weekend! 🤞🏼
If I can do it I'm sure you'll be alright mate ;)

Despite tired legs (played 90mins at Wycombe Wanders 48 hours ago and Reff'ed my son's U13 friendly this a.m.), I had a go at the Level 4 fitness test this afternoon and found it easy; albeit 23s rest (instead of 22s), cos it's easier to track 40s sets on the watch
Maybe my measured distance (penalty spot to penalty spot) was a few metres short, but the watch suggests everything was accurate enough

Not boastful as such, I doubt I could bash out 2.6k in 12 mins without at least rehearsing it. Strange..... 'miles' easier than the Cooper for me tho

I also found the new fitness test way easier than previous years (Cooper Run)

Easy to practice if you can’t get down to the track too…
I measured out 75m (Approx 100 steps) in the park - and then 25m out each side (approx 32 steps) and used the sound clips we all got a few weeks back via email for the timings.

I also found the new fitness test way easier than previous years (Cooper Run)

Easy to practice if you can’t get down to the track too…
I measured out 75m (Approx 100 steps) in the park - and then 25m out each side (approx 32 steps) and used the sound clips we all got a few weeks back via email for the timings.
Just don't so what i did and attempt to measure it out on a GPS watch.
Turns out 0.7 at walking, are between 0.8 and 0.9 per interval. Taking a tape measure next time 😂😂

Back