A&H

NED v ARG

The Referee Store
BBC website says Ned 7 Arg 8, but I think that is just the players who played in the match...

Most of us in here I suspect. He was terrible.
You are delusional. There's clearly pressure on the refs in the WC to keep the game 11 v 11. He's trying to keep up with that instruction and at the same time manage an extremely difficult game. Are there other elite referees who could have done better? Probably. But thinking that anyone other than the top half dozen or so elite referees in the world could have controlled that game is really ignoring reality.

Think we all agree the ref hasn't had his best night, but at the same time he hasn't been helped by the player's conduct and the directives he has been given. Thought the BBC commentators Pearce & Keown were poor, constant sniping about the referee and mostly ignoring player conduct, don't remember such criticism of Howard Webb after the Netherlands Vs Spain Final.

Not if the press are on their back, I hope it backfires in a way to be honest, I don't like this 'keep them on directive'
As I mentioned earlier, the media should be all over FIFA. What could Mateu do? If he has a directive to keep all 22 on the field, he is in the middle of an impossible situation.

The blame for this goes to FIFA and FIFA alone. Pierluigi Collina has a lot to answer for right now, as he sets the referee agenda.

I think Lahoz could've had a better night, but I'm echoing others here, he was screwed by shocking player conduct, and this supposed 11v11 directive, I think a few second yellows were crucial

You are delusional. There's clearly pressure on the refs in the WC to keep the game 11 v 11. He's trying to keep up with that instruction and at the same time manage an extremely difficult game. Are there other elite referees who could have done better? Probably. But thinking that anyone other than the top half dozen or so elite referees in the world could have controlled that game is really ignoring reality.
I think you are delusional, but let's not be rude shall we? He is a referee who has made a large number of very poor decisions, possibly based on a directive that he's completely misunderstood. He has decided against giving 2nd yellows for reckless tackles and one red for the deliberate and violent action of kicking a ball into a subs bench, thus causing a flare up. This ref has made it harder for grassroots refs this weekend.

As I mentioned earlier, the media should be all over FIFA. What could Mateu do? If he has a directive to keep all 22 on the field, he is in the middle of an impossible situation.

The blame for this goes to FIFA and FIFA alone. Pierluigi Collina has a lot to answer for right now, as he sets the referee agenda.

Let's not pretend 11 v 11 is unique to FIFA and this WC. Professional soccer is about $. Competitions consistently think that a 11 v 10 game loses the drama and don't want it when it comes to knock out games, which are the most dramatic.

I think you are delusional, but let's not be rude shall we? He is a referee who has made a large number of very poor decisions, possibly based on a directive that he's completely misunderstood. He has decided against giving 2nd yellows for reckless tackles and one red for the deliberate and violent action of kicking a ball into a subs bench, thus causing a flare up. This ref has made it harder for grassroots refs this weekend.

Nope, sorry, your statement that most of the refs on this board could do better is absolutely delusional and shows a complete lack of understanding of the difficulty level.

And I hate to disappoint you, but no one reffing in the WC is giving one moments thought about grass roots soccer. They are focused on doing what the powers that be have asked and maintaining that particular game. While referees around the world are going to think players should have been sent off, I don't think FIFA is going to be that unhappy with his performance--that game was a heck of a spectacle, and people will be talking about the game for a long time. And they won't be talking about their team losing because someone was sent off.

Lahoz has always been like this, he has a laid back approach and is well liked by players, but when it gets heated he struggles to adjust and ends up with a load of cards. Tonight was probably an extreme version of that.

The behaviour of both teams was appalling though. If that had been me refereeing a step 3/4/5 game and 10+ subs and coaches had run onto the pitch I would have emptied the bench, but I honestly don't think a FIFA referee would be supported in doing that.

Back