A&H

Manchester Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen the Young challenge in more detail now and it looks worse the more you see it. That said, on my first viewing it maybe wasn’t as bad as what other views subsequently show. Don’t know what angle MA had but I think all three options are possible on first view.

The Referee Store
It would have been irrelevant if Sterling had been able to hit the target. Very strange day for him. I can’t remember him missing that many chances (3, 4?) in a game before.
I can. Playing for liverpool again v man u and david de gea. He had 3 1on 1s that day an missed them all. Bogey keeper for him i think.

The AR was left to call the rugby tackle then give the fk to Young, both times incorrectly for me. Yes Atkinson is the main man but he was clearly leaving both these calls to the AR.
I don't believe that. I could believe that they left it to each other on the foul on Sterling (but that's poor teamwork) but for the non-foul by Sterling I think the AR only flags when Atkinson gives it.

The other AR got a throw direction woefully wrong and Atkinson either didn't see it or didn't have the heart to overrule.

Last edited:
Third United goal - I defy anybody to call that offside in real time if they’re lining. Freeze frame makes it easier but that is impossible in real time.

It would have been irrelevant if Sterling had been able to hit the target. Very strange day for him. I can’t remember him missing that many chances (3, 4?) in a game before.

The Young challenge on Aguero wasn’t clever but commentary didn’t help. “He’s clearly won the ball” (real time) then “It’s clearly a penalty” (on replay). Again goes to show 1 view and instant decision required. I’m struggling to fault the assistant on that one as Martin Atkinson has immediately waved it away. PMIs probably say not to come in if he’s doing that.

On the number of alleged free kicks/penalties not given the season, if you create more chances than anyone else then the number of challenges will go up accordingly. Percentage wise I’d be surprised if City are actually worse off than others.

We're not talking FKs and pens not given. We're talking referees and ARs whose recognition of SFP has been appalling. No other team has had a similar record of bad fouls against them not given. Since Pep complained it's been better but when it mattered yesterday the blind eye was back.

I never say it's a conspiracy. I always put it down to bad refereeing. But I do point to the Chief Exec of the Premier League saying it's bad for business if United aren't winning things, and a United director holding executive office at the FA, Uefa and Fifa. You might think that's a conflict of interest but I couldn't possibly comment.

I can. Playing for liverpool again v man u and david de gea. He had 3 1on 1s that day an missed them all. Bogey keeper for him i think.
While I agree that Sterling's finishing isn't a strong point, I think De Gea's reputation makes him a bogey keeper for a lot of sides. Because of the reputation, people feel like they need to try and put the ball in the very corners of the goal (resulting in misses) where often they would just stick it in without fuss against another keeper.

How does everyone feel about the Pogba challenge? I know Xhaka and I think a Dutch midfielder have been sent off for that type of tackle

The young handling debate reminds me of the good old player claims of "but he gained and advantage from it" which nothing to do with it. For me it is as close as 50-50 as it can get. The fact that it denies a GSO has nothing to do with the determination of handball. What would be the telling factor for me is the answer to the question "could he avoid touching the ball?". If this was a deliberate slide then I would have no problems with a handball being given but the fact that he involuntarily slipped and he only had partial control of his movements after that makes it very difficult to know if he could avoid contact.

I not would give a penalty and a send off on such a doubtful and 50-50 incident.

The young handling debate reminds me of the good old player claims of "but he gained and advantage from it" which nothing to do with it. For me it is as close as 50-50 as it can get. The fact that it denies a GSO has nothing to do with the determination of handball. What would be the telling factor for me is the answer to the question "could he avoid touching the ball?". If this was a deliberate slide then I would have no problems with a handball being given but the fact that he involuntarily slipped and he only had partial control of his movements after that makes it very difficult to know if he could avoid contact.

I not would give a penalty and a send off on such a doubtful and 50-50 incident.
I dunno--- I reckon the new UEFA guidelines (from the other thread somewhere... in that video...) make it pretty clear that this is "now" a handball and pen...

We're not talking FKs and pens not given. We're talking referees and ARs whose recognition of SFP has been appalling. No other team has had a similar record of bad fouls against them not given. Since Pep complained it's been better but when it mattered yesterday the blind eye was back.

Young's tackle was 100% a penalty and a red card but City (as I've seen them do a few times this season) commited petulant foul after petulant foul on Man Utd players in Utd's own third. Nothing fouls that weren't even slightly reckless but were simply to stop any chance of a quick break. This wasn't identified by the referee and City prob should have had another 5 cautions and I doubt you'd have finished with 11.
It's a very clever type of cheating so let's not pretend City are saints.
As an aside, no way was the handball shout a pen! What the hell do you ant him to do there??

I dunno--- I reckon the new UEFA guidelines (from the other thread somewhere... in that video...) make it pretty clear that this is "now" a handball and pen...
The difference between the videos in the other thread and young incident is that both the video in the other thread are deliberate slides. Young slipped involuntarily.

The difference between the videos in the other thread and young incident is that both the video in the other thread are deliberate slides. Young slipped involuntarily.

See, the thing that changes it for me in this case is that he feigns heading the ball - he knows he's never going to be able to get there, fakes heading it and allows it to hit his hand. It's cheating, pure and simple.

See, the thing that changes it for me in this case is that he feigns heading the ball - he knows he's never going to be able to get there, fakes heading it and allows it to hit his hand. It's cheating, pure and simple.
Think you're reading too much into it. I think he is literally just trying to get a head on the ball knowing he's slipped and the imminent arrival of an opponent. I mean I dont really know where else you want his hand to be there. I wouldn't expect him it give up all hope because he slipped. Think the "handling" of the ball cannot be considered deliberate in this particular incident.

I can see why you think of it that way but i see it differently. I see it as he is still trying to play the ball legally. The ball missed his head only by a couple inches. In fact i had to look at it a number of time to see it didn't touch his head. What actually was in his mind, only he knows.

Anyway we are analysing after seeing multiple views from different angles. The referee had only one look at it from one angle and what would have been very obvious to everyone is that Young slipped and that action wasn't deliberate. And i am sure that fact played on his mind when he made his decision.

@JamesL @one yeah completely fair, can see that. Think it's one of those where there's a decent case for either decision. The sooner the handball law is rewritten, the better...

Reactions: one
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back