A&H

Manchester Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Wow! That's why I love footy so much! :)

City cruising @ 2-0 up, should have been 5 or 6 at least and having looked dead and buried United turned the game around and things got somewhat spicy! Think serious questions need to be asked about what was put in the respective team's drinks at half time! :D :wide:

Well, the endless replays of Young's rash pen are strangely inconclusive IMHO

De Gea totally does a victory roll for the cameras... he could have caught that header - it was straight at him!

Anyway, well done Utd. In the end though, totally meaningless match.

I admit am on the redder side but am not giving that pen
City should have been 5 6 up
Maybe SAF went into dressing room at ht
Six goals in three days conceeded

Just seen more replays of Young's challenge on Aguero.... Absolute nailed on penalty all day (and night) long. Young goes straight through his opponent with his studs making contact with Aguero's leg half way between the ankle and knee. How Atkinson and/or his assistant have not deemed that a foul is beyond me.

Think there was an element of truth what Pep said earlier this season. Not just with City being on the receiving end, but far too many SFP/ESOAO challenges in general have been missed and gone unpunished throughout this season! :mad:

but since City is going to run away with this it looks like it will slip away as forgotten. Worked out for Atkinson as he would have had to go red if he gave the PK.
Pogba seriously needs to start working on if and how he will ever adapt to the Premier League, seems to spend more time on his latest ridiculous hairstyle
eems as per SAF was right when it came to attitude
Kinda wish Roy Keane was there in tunnel if Pogba stepped out with blue and white hair

These quotes aged well. :p :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

To be fair, I think most people wrote United off with that half-time score. :)

Atkinson will be hiding behind his sofa when he sees the Aguero pen again.

Sane could have been booked 3 times over yet walks off the pitch without a caution.

Talk about game of two halves.

Refereeing at that level is about the entire game. He gave what he saw, On reflection if he saw things again would he do different?
As we know, one look, one call

Spent the weekend setting up for a Trade Show at the NEC, 28 hours in two days.... Heard the game on the radio in passing and have seen the goals and incidents since, Tough game to ref by all accounts, Atkinson had a game on his hands and far be it from me to criticise a fellow top ref and in this case I won't. Well done!! Maybe not a fans favourite or the best ref ever but does a decent job consistently!! (Nor seen all incidents, just the goals, big tackle and melees)

Well, the endless replays of Young's rash pen are strangely inconclusive IMHO
I admit am on the redder side but am not giving that pen
City should have been 5 6 up
Maybe SAF went into dressing room at ht
Six goals in three days conceeded
Don't anyone dare accuse me again of having blue-tinted specs.
And Smalling was offside for the third. So that's two of the six conceded that should have been disallowed.

Thought it was a penalty obviously and potentially a red. That was both legs off the ground until the studs touched the ball and could have been a leg breaker quite easily. I'm a bit harsher on ref's to be fair and whilst I accept mistakes are made...for me the recklessness of that challenge and the intensity/lack of control should have noticed....maybe I've got an over inflated sense of my eagle eye vision but I'd like to think I could spot the contact and that challenge. Thought Atkinson lost a bit of control and tried to calm the game down but ended up giving loads of little decisions to United in the second half...thought previously and today confirmed it that Herrera is a slimy little so and so.

Anyway, on a completely different note, Smalling's goal. And VAR. That's a call in a game where VAR isn't used. Smalling's level but not quite level because his shoulder and torso is slightly ahead of the defender. Without VAR, everyone says it's borderline and there isn't one ounce of serious uproar, but VAR disallows that goal based on what we've seen with the lines because Smalling is one mm ahead of play. Opening another can of worms here but feel like it's a decent example that maybe the offside law should be looked at if VAR is brought in permanently.

As we're constantly reminded, this is a referees forum not a fan forum, so I'll keep it short.

Martin Atkinson let himself down today, missed a potential leg breaker which should have resulted in a penalty (and possibly a red card) and totally lost control of the game. I expect better from such an experienced referee.

That's after Young has landed.

It's truth, not conspiracy, that the number of similar tackles against City punished by a YC or just a FK or not punished at all is now in double figures for the season. Atkinson set his stall out early in the game not penalising Young's rugby tackle on Sterling then punishing Sterling for brushing past Young. And I've not seen a replay of the early shout for a penalty for handball.

The AR was left to call the rugby tackle then give the fk to Young, both times incorrectly for me. Yes Atkinson is the main man but he was clearly leaving both these calls to the AR.

The AR was left to call the rugby tackle then give the fk to Young, both times incorrectly for me. Yes Atkinson is the main man but he was clearly leaving both these calls to the AR.

Thought this at the time. Found it odd though as in both cases the AR hesitates - you can see the foul for the second one wasn't given until a good 5 seconds afterwards, camera catches the AR slow down and flag changes hand, then carries on. Odd optics

Yes its like he knew the one by Young was a foul but was not switched on enough to give it, then, moments later, it looks like he got a shout of "your call" and decided to belatenly flag for a foul to Young. Certainly looked like the ref left both calls to the AR, then again, why would you not? Sadly, for me, the AR got both wrong. Given this poor start, there was no way on earth the AR was going to givd the handball pk by Young, ( which I dont think was handball) , but either way, the AR was not going to give it.

Third United goal - I defy anybody to call that offside in real time if they’re lining. Freeze frame makes it easier but that is impossible in real time.

It would have been irrelevant if Sterling had been able to hit the target. Very strange day for him. I can’t remember him missing that many chances (3, 4?) in a game before.

The Young challenge on Aguero wasn’t clever but commentary didn’t help. “He’s clearly won the ball” (real time) then “It’s clearly a penalty” (on replay). Again goes to show 1 view and instant decision required. I’m struggling to fault the assistant on that one as Martin Atkinson has immediately waved it away. PMIs probably say not to come in if he’s doing that.

On the number of alleged free kicks/penalties not given the season, if you create more chances than anyone else then the number of challenges will go up accordingly. Percentage wise I’d be surprised if City are actually worse off than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back