A&H

Man City vs Arsenal

Joshref

I didn’t think it was a pen at all, and at the very least it wasn’t a clear and obvious error. Yet all my friends, including the City fans, seem to unanimously think Arsenal were robbed. What do you guys think?

The Referee Store
I am fairly new to reffing, so would like other opions, but it’s a direct free kick/penalty if “impedes an opponent with contact” surely getting the ball here first, which is debatable here anyway, is irrelevant. Get this a lot on weekends, “I got the ball’, but it’s surely a foul if you take the player out at the same time?

Good call I think, to me Emerson got enough of a boot on the ball and wasn't necessarily reckless with the challenge.

Another day, another ref and City might have had a penalty at the other end for a bit of wrestling on Jesus.

Kevin Friend on AR duty in the first half, reportedly will switch to 4th official for the 2nd half.

Has anyone got a clue as to why Friend's on the line? Lucky for him that he hasn't been in a position to make any calls at all, would have haunted him for ages

Someone, presumably the original AR was late arriving to stadium, turned up about 30 minutes into the game and took on 4th official duties for the remainder of the half.

I called pen live but with all the replays I can't tell how much of the ball he gets

Which I guess backs up the refs decision in that it wasn't a clear and obvious error

BT's microscopic analysis suggests the Arsenal boot was on the ball and Ederson caught the boot, but such a close call, with or without VAR. Think the angle the ball diverted went in Ederson's favour.

Gabriel has lost the plot, carded for scuffing the penalty spot, 2nd yellow shortly after for a bodycheck like challenge on the half way line :confused: Great game for the neutral! :)

Saka just booked. Didn’t he go into the crowd when he scored? I’m actually alright with that not being a yellow, but it’s usually an automatic one!

Can't argue that he didn't pull the shirt, but definitely didn't impede the attacker's movement. Not a penalty IMO.

Screenshot_20220101-134614_Laws of the Game.jpg

Reactions: one
Arsenal's pen fist hlaf, it was a pen but not clear and obvious.

City's pen, it was a foul, but no way it would have been given or reviewed without the dive. I have said this before, we can't complain about players diving if we give these pens.

Gabriel, easy second yellow.

Back