A&H

Man City v Spurs

I thought he had originally just called too early but he had plenty of time and just made a very odd decision, cant see how he could justify it

The Referee Store
Poor decision. Surely he should be waiting for a few seconds to see how it pans out. In fact, it looks like he did because he signalled for the advantage. MOTD2 will be interesting tonight !

"Howler" is a massive overreaction for a missed advantage, think we need to avoid buying into that kind of hyperbole.

I think this decision is probably deserving of the term "howler". He's a very good ref, but he's got this very, very wrong.

There's no chance he's blowing for offside. None. He's messed up the advantage. Simple.
They’ve showed the replay on Sky. The advantage is clear and he only blows when Grealish receives the ball. If he has any defence at all and I don’t think he has, it’s that he thought Grealish was offside.

They’ve showed the replay on Sky. The advantage is clear and he only blows when Grealish receives the ball. If he has any defence at all and I don’t think he has, it’s that he thought Grealish was offside.
He has to own the error

If I had to guess, I'd say he thinks it's going to be a second yellow card for Emerson, hence he stops play to give the 2nd yellow and then red. But then after he blows the whistle, he realises that Emerson isn't on a yellow- so its just a regular caution (and he shouldn't have stopped it). That would explain the big pause before the whistle, but also the look of regret.

Maybe he just blew the whistle on the initial tackle? Can't imagine why he'd bring it back otherwise. I'm going with howler too, if you've waited that long to see if an advantage is there, you don't blow the whistle after that pass

If I had to guess, I'd say he thinks it's going to be a second yellow card for Emerson, hence he stops play to give the 2nd yellow and then red. But then after he blows the whistle, he realises that Emerson isn't on a yellow- so its just a regular caution (and he shouldn't have stopped it). That would explain the big pause before the whistle, but also the look of regret.
That'd be an answer to the question we've been dealing with on here all week

Hmmmm...Possibe, but then blow straight away and stop the game

Come on now. It's just a mistake. Call it what it is.

It is getting beyond ridiculous now. It has become fashionable and normalised to hate referees.

Blatantly obvious mistake - it happens. People really need to get a grip of themselves.

I guess the dissent crackdown goes out the window when you know you've ****ed up.

Also, if there was a sin-bin for dissent, are you allowed to go under 7 players? City might have made us need an answer for that one. :D

It is getting beyond ridiculous now. It has become fashionable and normalised to hate referees.

Blatantly obvious mistake - it happens. People really need to get a grip of themselves.
Ditto, blatantly obvious mistake from Haaland in the first half when he missed target from 10 yards, with goal gaping.

Ditto, blatantly obvious mistake from Haaland in the first half when he missed target from 10 yards, with goal gaping.
You can’t use that as an excuse for what the ref did. It feels like we’ve got to a position where refs can’t call out fellow refs when they’ve made shocking decisions. What if some of them just aren’t good enough for that level. We seem happy enough to say certain players aren’t at that level. It’s a shocking decision at that level.

You can’t use that as an excuse for what the ref did. It feels like we’ve got to a position where refs can’t call out fellow refs when they’ve made shocking decisions. What if some of them just aren’t good enough for that level. We seem happy enough to say certain players aren’t at that level. It’s a shocking decision at that level.

It's also not his first howler of the season.

He's made a human error, just as Haaland did when missing a near open goal. Hooper will have been cursing himself on his long drive home, but I've certainly been too quick on the whistle when I could and should have played advantage, and I think most referees will have been. I did it in a big local derby in an Isthmian League game with over 1000 spectators and I was still thinking about it days later. I didn't do it deliberately, I just misread the situation and made a stupid decision.

He had an excellent game, evidenced by the fact that Mike Dean sat unemployed until second half stoppage time, but every human being will make mistakes.

Back