A&H

Level 4 Observations/Merit Tables

I will let this thread die eventually, I promise, but are we / anyone absolutely certain that 4-3 mid season promotions won't be decided until January and based on the full calendar year marking table?
I know they're different levels but I saw a list of ARs promoted to football league mid season published recently and also my local FA have said their mid-season promotions (7-6, 6-5.... unsure about 5-4) will be announced shortly.

The Referee Store
I will let this thread die eventually, I promise, but are we / anyone absolutely certain that 4-3 mid season promotions won't be decided until January and based on the full calendar year marking table?
I know they're different levels but I saw a list of ARs promoted to football league mid season published recently and also my local FA have said their mid-season promotions (7-6, 6-5.... unsure about 5-4) will be announced shortly.
We had a email towards the back end of November which explained that everyone will be notified

Notification of those selected to attend the assessment days will be sent on Wednesday 10thJanuary 2024.

We had a email towards the back end of November which explained that everyone will be notified

Notification of those selected to attend the assessment days will be sent on Wednesday 10thJanuary 2024.
I thought there was an email but couldn't find any record of it!

Thanks

Mid-Season promotions often start from the top and then filter down - just like appointments from L2 to L6.

Cliffs: Won't get the weighted table until early December

"Annual Merit Table Calculations

As some of you may have noticed, adaptations made to the observer scheme in the summer has resulted in the overall average mark across all levels from Level 2B – Level 4 (referees and assistant referees changing across all levels.

In order to ensure annual merit tables (a.k.a. calendar year merit tables) are reflection of the parameters in place at that time of the fixture, the merit tables across Level 2B, 3A, 3F, 4A (respective merit tables) and 4SAR will be weighted according to ranking for the period 1 January 2023 – 31 May 2023 & 1 July 2023 – 31 December 2023. This is instead of calculating the merit table as a single merit table across the whole calendar year.

The ranking will be calculated taking into consideration the number of games/observations received during the respective time period.

Please note, this weighted merit table not be reflected on your statistics tab on MOAS (although it is unlikely to be significantly different).

To confirm you are aware of your observer position in the respective merit tables towards the end of the marking period, we will be in contact with your weighted merit table on the respective lists in early December"
Has anyone had their weighted table yet via email?

Has anyone had their weighted table yet via email?
I no longer think there will be an email. The weightings were applied to MOAS on Wednesday, apparently. So MOAS ought to be accurate
I don't think there's much difference in the averages, so perhaps the adjustment amounted to 'unnoticed'

Yes today.
Ditto

Difference is minimal. 5 places on the assistant table and 13 places on the middles. Down on both! Neither makes a difference to my prospects. I am in a good position annually and can probably count myself unfortunate as I due to cancellations I havent reffed since 15th October and missed 3 observations as well.

Last edited:
Ditto

Difference is minimal. 5 places on the seasonal and 13 places on the annual. Down on both! Neither makes a difference to my prospects. I am in a good position annually and can probably count myself unfortunate as I due to cancellations I havent reffed since 15th October and missed 3 observations as well.
I'm 3/72 on weighted. But I'm on a sabbatical since the summer as I'm in Guernsey.

I’m pleasently surprised and slightly confused because I’ve moved up annually on the weighted table despite the fact all of my observations so far this year were last season. I imagined I would be moving down if anywhere because the marks from last season are theoretically higher than this season.

Game was off.
I’m honestly feeling really deflated right now. On the weighted merit table I was 6/109.
Bare in mind there’s a good chance at least a couple of those above me are new level 4s on the back of 1 good observation.
I had 3 observations by May, I needed 2 officially this season but even 1 I feel would have put me in with a chance of consideration.
No chance they’re considering me with 3, despite it being not my fault. I’ve had plenty of availability, done 7 middles this season with a further 3 postponed. I haven’t come off of any game that an observer was appointed on, this was just meant to be my first appointed observation of the season.

Those good marks I got in April/May have now gone to waste and I’m back to the start.

Plus in theory I’ve got to get 4/5 observations in by May again to stand any chance at the end of the season.

Sorry to hear this mate, it’s totally crap even tho it’s out of ur hands,

Cream always rises to the top, keep the momentum going, ur clearly good enough

Game was off.
I’m honestly feeling really deflated right now. On the weighted merit table I was 6/109.
Bare in mind there’s a good chance at least a couple of those above me are new level 4s on the back of 1 good observation.
I had 3 observations by May, I needed 2 officially this season but even 1 I feel would have put me in with a chance of consideration.
No chance they’re considering me with 3, despite it being not my fault. I’ve had plenty of availability, done 7 middles this season with a further 3 postponed. I haven’t come off of any game that an observer was appointed on, this was just meant to be my first appointed observation of the season.

Those good marks I got in April/May have now gone to waste and I’m back to the start.

Plus in theory I’ve got to get 4/5 observations in by May again to stand any chance at the end of the season.
I know it won’t mean much, but a lad off our pool got promoted from 3 observations last January for mid-season from 4 to 3. It’s possible

Last edited:
I know it won’t mean much, but a lad off our pool got promoted from 3 observations last January for mid seen from 4 to 3. It’s possible
Yeah I don’t feel like I’ve got much chance but I suppose never say never. Just feels like a massive kick in the balls to not even get the chance to prove myself. Nobody’s fault, just very frustrating.

Yeah I don’t feel like I’ve got much chance but I suppose never say never. Just feels like a massive kick in the balls to not even get the chance to prove myself. Nobody’s fault, just very frustrating.
Been that sort of season. Be surprised if there's not many in your position. I've not had a middle, never mind observation, since 15th October due to postponements. Could still happen.

Promotion emails are out, good luck if you have received one.
I was 4th in my table - must’ve just missed out :(

Looks like I’ll be waiting till the end of the season then🤞

Admittedly though I’m very low on club marks after a disastrous run of getting 80s from one team and 60s from the other (almost perfectly in line with the scoreline) so I only really had a chance at the playoffs anyways - any idea if they’re out yet?

Last edited:
Back