A&H

Law change you would make?

The Referee Store
Kick ins sound interesting. Might result in a few more goals if they are pumped into the box Rory Delap style.

i think we want to be careful not to turn the throw into a freekick tho, or else there is little difference to the action of committing a foul ,( illegal), and clearing the ball ( perfectly legal),
Thats why maybe kick in, but the ball cant go forward?

I did a kids summer tournament and they had a short kick in rule, designed to stop the punt into the box, impossible to manage though as a well intended short pass easy misses its intended target and through no fault of the kicker, its become a longer pass
Disability leagues have a throw policy, at best a recognised throw, down to underarm throw, def not a discus chuck.

i think we want to be careful not to turn the throw into a freekick tho, or else there is little difference to the action of committing a foul ,( illegal), and clearing the ball ( perfectly legal)
Unless the ball is cleared over the touchline in which case the corner kick is an unrestricted 'kick in'.

Unless the ball is cleared over the touchline in which case the corner kick is an unrestricted 'kick in'.

yes and its seen as something, winning a corner, It would diminish some of the appeal of a corner if everytime ball went out, it was kicked back in anyway

What if players were given 5 yards and had to carry the ball into the FoP instead of a throw in? Play resumes when the attacker crosses the touchline.

To be fair, he didn't want to see those ladies to freeze outside and they needed some change for the bus home!! ;)

its a great example though to any ambitious referees, his ( reported) behaviour is exactly how.a supposed top flight player thinks and behaves.Our society rules do not apply to them, they have too much money, too big a house, too good an agent and are too fit to conform
Now what chances they going to pay any attention to you, trying to tell them right from wrong on a football pitch
The very much vast majority do not feel you belong in their world.

I'd like to see a penalty area similar to that of futsal, where the outer area is shaped like the futsal penalty area 22 yards from goal and then have an inner area 12 yards from goal.

Any foul in the inner area is a penalty kick from 12 yards out at the top of the penalty area. If a foul happens inside of the 22 yard area and outside of the 12 yard area, the fouled team could move the ball back to the 22-yard area line for the free kick. I'm not sure if the free kick should have a wall or not. If there is a DOGSO foul inside of the larger area, then the fouled team still receives a penalty kick in addition to the appropriate card for the defender.

There would obviously need to be some thought put into this. My idea is to remove the upper corners of the current penalty area where a penalty kick would seem to be a very harsh sanction for a foul in an area with a low expected goals rate.

My idea is to remove the upper corners of the current penalty area where a penalty kick would seem to be a very harsh sanction for a foul in an area with a low expected goals rate.
Fair point but a player in the lower corner (on the goal line 18 yards away) has even a lower chance of scoring. This goes to the fact that the less central you are the lesser chance of scoring (narrow angle). I had thought about this a while back. The fairest solution is an ellipse. For me once you use an ellipse, you can simplify many things by removing the goal area, the penalty arc and replace goal 'kicks' with goal 'clearance' (throws by keeper from anywhere in the penalty area). It even simplifies marking the field if you know how to draw an ellipse. I don't mind it the way it is though.

Here is a pic. Ellipse height is 25 yards and width is 44 yards.
Screenshot_20200527-202557__01.jpg

Last edited:
Fair point but a player in the lower corner (on the goal line 18 yards away) has even a lower chance of scoring. This goes to the fact that the less central you are the lesser chance of scoring (narrow angle). I had thought about this a while back. The fairest solution is an ellipse. For me once you use an ellipse, you can simplify many things by removing the goal area, the penalty arc and replace goal 'kicks' with goal 'clearance' (throws by keeper from anywhere in the penalty area). It even simplifies marking the field if you know how to draw an ellipse. I don't mind it the way it is though.

Here is a pic. Ellipse height is 25 yards and width is 44 yards.
View attachment 4299
Could you imagine the old geezers trying to draw that on a grassroots pitch lol.
They struggle with straight lines as is.

Could you imagine the old geezers trying to draw that on a grassroots pitch lol.
They struggle with straight lines as is.
Exactly. They have a better chance of getting this right than straight lines :D

Back